Why become a member? ×

The big man - or woman - at the back

Bassfinger

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Five feet, nine inches. That's two separate measurements ladies.

Hang on, let's not get started on the old adage about long men and long... errrr....members.

Anyway, that correlation is more accurately between the length of your fingers and the ....errr...other length.

All to do with mother's hormone levels during pregnancy, apparently.

So if you notice a male bass player who's playing really badly but still has an over-confident grin on his face, then look at the size of his hands to see why that might be..................:sad:

• Haha 2

John Paul Jones is actually very tall indeed, but due to his modesty only allows himself to be pictured in extremely large building, or stood further away from the photographer when in the company of shorter people, this giving the illusion of being diminutive.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, FinnDave said:

A six foot plus bloke with a guitar makes it look like a ukulele! 

Yes, I’m 6’2” with an 18 stone rugby players frame, a Strat looks like a toy on me. Anything other than a full scale bass looks ridiculous on me.

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m 6ft and when I was in my teens/early 20s was one of the tallest people around both at work and in my local. Now it seems I’m just of average height. I don’t think Boris has been blamed for enough this week so I’m going to lay this at his door.

Agreed on all points!😁

Actually, one of the issues with people stating their heights is many people either have no real idea or lie. I’m actually 5’11” and a half if I’m being accurate, but the amount of people who have said to me “you must be about six three because I’m six foot” when they’re actually no more than five nine is ludicrous.

Edited by 4000

I am the tallest and ugliest guy in the band, so my instrument is naturally - bass.

What's the difference between a double bass and a coffin?

Corps is inside the coffin.

(I know it was an old one, but I haven't heard any new ones in a decade or so.)

11 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Surfing the interweb trying to get my fix of bass related news and I found this...

http://www.thecavanproject.com/tall-musicians/

...postulating that us bass players are a tall breed.

Is this true? The first example that came to my mind was myself, and I'm 6'5". But does the correlation hold water?  Are we a breed of Hightowers, or a random mix of heights?

One of my best friends, a very tall man, calls me ThunderDwarf when I play bass. I'm guessing I'll be an outlier ;)

5'8.

After 10 months learning bass  and other stuff, length of scale (from uke to Ibanez SR800 (34") basses) doesn't bother me but the spread of my fretting hand is now an inch and a half wider than my picking hand😜 is that a common thing? The only instruments I have problems with are top end of a tenor uke and smaller. So I've kind of focused in on Bass with baritone uke as a secondary instrument.

13 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Hmm, I think there's at least one good reason to keep bass-playing women at the front, then. Think Suzi Quatro, Tina Weymouth, Divinity Roxx... all just marginally larger than their bass guitars! Carol Kaye probably not much bigger either. Ida Nielsen is slightly taller, and so are Yolanda Charles, Julie Slick, Esperanza Spalding and Tal Winkelfeld, but big women? Nah, none of them.

Our very own @seashell can hold her own with bass-playing gentlemen from the point of view of height*, but she's offset by yours truly, who's 5'2"... :D

* and that of bass-playing, natch. ;)

Thanks for the mention, Silvia! 🙂 I'm 5 ft 6 and a half which is slightly above average for my age group, but I think younger women are a growing a bit taller these days! 🙂

• Like 1