Why become a member? ×

The big man - or woman - at the back

Bassfinger

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Is this true? The first example that came to my mind was myself, and I'm 6'5". But does the correlation hold water?  Are we a breed of Hightowers, or a random mix of heights?

Fascinating Facts for a Friday:

• It would take 3,487440  6' tall bass players head-to-to to encircle the equator.
  • It would only take 3,260982 (.8) @Bassfinger s head-to-toe to encircle the equator.
  • It is impossible to complete the same exercise with the average lead guitarist - they possess heads so big it they have their own gravitational pull which would cause a tear in the space/time continuum. :| 

Makes you think, doesn't it?!

(What it makes you think is another question! :D )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

6'4" Old School on a good day or 1.93 metrical.

Thank you KiOgon, saves me from googling what 1.93 is in feet.

Pretty tall for a Dutch Italian and quite handy for playing bass but I have a pretty short pinky and that's a shame.

• Like 2

Hmm, I think there's at least one good reason to keep bass-playing women at the front, then. Think Suzi Quatro, Tina Weymouth, Divinity Roxx... all just marginally larger than their bass guitars! Carol Kaye probably not much bigger either. Ida Nielsen is slightly taller, and so are Yolanda Charles, Julie Slick, Esperanza Spalding and Tal Winkelfeld, but big women? Nah, none of them.

Our very own @seashell can hold her own with bass-playing gentlemen from the point of view of height*, but she's offset by yours truly, who's 5'2"... :D

* and that of bass-playing, natch. ;)

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 4

6'4.

There probably is a minimum height/arm length for comfortably playing a 34 inch scale bass, but I'm certain it's a lot shorter than that.

With great height comes a greater probability of back problems and cracking your head on door frames.

I'm 6' 3" (or was, I think I may have shrunk a half inch with age) but slim with it. Funny to see the top 25 musicians in the OP are all actually taller than me.

From experience I do think being tall people tend to assume you play bass... but of course there are exceptions to any rule.

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I'm 5'10" these days - down from 5'11" at my peak

Same here in all respects. Except, very definitely not a skinny man.

And I don't stand at the back (except in the 18-piece big band)....

Edited by mangotango

Five feet, nine inches. That's two separate measurements ladies.

I'm 1.76m, I think that puts me a little over 5'9" in old money. Despite being almost exactly the UK average height I often feel rather short day to day.

• Haha 3