Why become a member? ×

Precisions- an Eye Opener

lonestar

I tried all the new non-signature p-basses in there - really quite liked the Vintera, the Mexican built Player was ok - the action you could drive a bus under - apparently all the new basses in there are straight from the factory but the have a 3 year set-up and repair warrenty on all their basses, but I still liked the American Pro the best - it felt like the output was just in a lower register and the set-up top-notch.  It just felt 'right'.  I'd be really interested to try the American Standard -  see  how much difference there is. Next week I'm going to try all the 2nd hand ones, maybe I'll skip the £6K '66 though :-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

I tried all the new non-signature p-basses in there - really quite liked the Vintera, the Mexican built Player was ok - the action you could drive a bus under - apparently all the new basses in there are straight from the factory but the have a 3 year set-up and repair warrenty on all their basses, but I still liked the American Pro the best - it felt like the output was just in a lower register and the set-up top-notch.  It just felt 'right'.  I'd be really interested to try the American Standard -  see  how much difference there is. Next week I'm going to try all the 2nd hand ones, maybe I'll skip the £6K '66 though :-0

That sounds like a grand day out !

i agree with your verdict of the American Pro.

My player needed a bit of a truss rod tweak as there was too much relief, and intonation needed adjusting on a couple of strings but now plays really well.

I was in Bass Direct a few weeks ago ready to pick up a lovely American Pro P... until I played it. Lots of neck dive, strange smooth finish on the back of the neck that just didn’t feel great and a decidedly average tone. I then noticed a battered Japanese P-bass (I think a 62 reissue). 0.5Kg lighter, balance OK (but now perfect with some ultra lites resulting in a final weight of 3.5Kg), and the tone was amazing. The whole bass feels just like a vintage instrument with real relic’ing, but, with no build quality issues. I’m sure you can guess which one I bought :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I was in Bass Direct a few weeks ago ready to pick up a lovely American Pro P... until I played it. Lots of neck dive, strange smooth finish on the back of the neck that just didn’t feel great and a decidedly average tone. I then noticed a battered Japanese P-bass (I think a 62 reissue). 0.5Kg lighter, balance OK (but now perfect with some ultra lites resulting in a final weight of 3.5Kg), and the tone was amazing. The whole bass feels just like a vintage instrument with real relic’ing, but, with no build quality issues. I’m sure you can guess which one I bought :)

That sounds a good find.

I quite like the newer silky neck finish but you can't beat a good Japanese P and I really like the 62 re-issue, esp with the US pickups that some have. I wish I'd bought one back in the '90s.

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I then noticed a battered Japanese P-bass (I think a 62 reissue).

Yeah - I'm tending more in that direction. Or some sort of bride of funkenstein homebrew monster with a p-body, 70's stingray profile neck and an overwound p pickup wired passive - maybe in candy tangerine...

I liked the tone of the pro - felt solid!