Why become a member? ×

Precisions- an Eye Opener

lonestar

Called into Wunjo’s today

tried a few precision’s in the following order and after a very quick and abc unscientific test through the same amp/speaker came to following first impressions:

a Fender vintera: meh OK but felt a bit cheap and copy’ish for a 700quid plus bass. Anodised pickguard would be off to eBay too.Very disappointing.

b Fender American Pro maple fretboard: Lovely. sounds and plays just as I expect a P to be, nice finishing on the neck frets etc. But £1475!!!

c Fender Player series Mexican Rosewood fretboard: really good not quite as full on as the US pro but still a very good P bass. Frets could do with a tidy in the edges and maybe upgrade some electrics and possibly hardware but nice neck and finish like the US.

For 600 quid I probably would if I had the dosh and it’s  almost half the price of a US one. I really liked it. Surprised and impressed.

The chap in Wunjos was great, very helpful and would have been happy to do me nice deal on this as it was a quiet and very wet day.

Only downer was that some s**tbag nicked my mates umbrella which he left by the door. Probably a guitard as I can’t insgine a fellow bassist would stoop so low.

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The guys at Wunjo have been good to me quite a few times when I’ve nearly bought a bass off them. When I was 17 they had a 67 p bass which was wonderful. I was really tempted at the time but didn’t have the knowledge about old basses like I do now so could have made a mistake paying so much. The second time was a Phillipe Dubrielle bass. I’d never heard of him before but he was on Denmark Street and they offered to introduce me. Managed to resist both times but I’ll be going back when I’m in a position to buy a bass again. I love the idea of owning the series 1 Alembic they currently have.

Possibly 

I was surprised as I tried a Mex Classic ‘50s one a few years ago and was impressed Maybe the new ones work better as a Jazz.

it was nicely set up and there was no single thing wrong that I could spot just felt and sounded underwhelming.

The Player just felt and sounded “the money”.

Maybe I was schmoozed by the nicer silky neck finish on the player like the Am Pro

3 minutes ago, artisan said:

Typical Fender quality control I reckon 😁

Mine is actually a P bass although I fitted a kiogon loom which massively improved it.

Yes I think that and possibly a fret edge tidy would be my first actions

how do yo think the new Mex v US pickups compare. Couldn’t tell in the shop.

re Fender QC I remember buying my Mex Strat back in the ‘90s that I tried loads to get a good ‘un.

1 hour ago, lonestar said:

re Fender QC I remember buying my Mex Strat back in the ‘90s that I tried loads to get a good ‘un.

I love the pickup in mine & have no plans to change it as it sounds really good,Fender claim to have revoiced the pickups in the vintera's,I think they actually have.

I was never impressed with the early MIM Fender pickups at all,the newer ones are much better.

I had an MIM 50's P a while ago & don't remember that sounding as good.

As far as build quality on my bass I had a couple of minor issues I had to sort but the construction,including fret work is very good indeed & it is fairly lightweight too.

Edited by artisan

I had a different Mex vs Vintera experience (admittedly in Dawsons, Manchester, not Wunjo's - who've always been super friendly and 'Have a try'-y when I've been in there)

I went in convinced that I wanted a punk-rock none-more-black Precision with MN (and planned to buy a black guard the instant I bought it) and tried the Mexican, then tried a (beige and then surf green!) Vintera and was completely sold on them. Despite the more vintage neck radius and frets etc, the neck just has a chunkier and 'warmer' feel to it. It's more how I expected a Precision to feel/sound. I surprised myself by walking out with the surf green Vintera and I've loved it ever since. Makes me smile every time I put it on and plug in... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chipps said:

I had a different Mex vs Vintera experience (admittedly in Dawsons, Manchester, not Wunjo's - who've always been super friendly and 'Have a try'-y when I've been in there)

I went in convinced that I wanted a punk-rock none-more-black Precision with MN (and planned to buy a black guard the instant I bought it) and tried the Mexican, then tried a (beige and then surf green!) Vintera and was completely sold on them. Despite the more vintage neck radius and frets etc, the neck just has a chunkier and 'warmer' feel to it. It's more how I expected a Precision to feel/sound. I surprised myself by walking out with the surf green Vintera and I've loved it ever since. Makes me smile every time I put it on and plug in... 

I hear ya

20191020_165410.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently played a Buttercream Player P-Bass in PMT in Oxford. An absolute feather weight that is beautifully finished.  It genuinely felt like a bass twice the price.  I almost bought it there and then (Action was a bit high though).

Having tried a maple v PF fretboard Player  I’ve pulled the trigger on this FSR Player Precision which arrives tomorrow. I’m very excited. I felt that the maple as predicted was a bit brighter and snappier, while still having a nice thump, filling the space nicely between my bitsa rosewood  P bass and growly  USJazz.

72315252-C202-4785-A272-8AE1C93F0BC6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/10/2019 at 14:53, lonestar said:

things have moved on, Mex stuff is really good now. 

47 minutes ago, RossHetherington said:

Where did you get the black plate from, I will add it to my Christmas list? Haha

This is it, but mine said  it was single ply and came through as  bwb so I asked for a discount which I got! Cheap as chips and fitted OK although the tip was bent but I put it in warm water and straightened it. This new ad does not indicate if it is 3 or 1 ply however.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263597531528?ul_noapp=true

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

I'm going to go down later and play that american pro - one of the nicest basses I've played - good tone too.  But yes, the price!  I'm interested to try some of their others - now intrigued by the mexican builds.

By the way - did you try the brown 70's stingray?  That is an amazing playing bass!

9 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

I'm going to go down later and play that american pro - one of the nicest basses I've played - good tone too.  But yes, the price!  I'm interested to try some of their others - now intrigued by the mexican builds.

By the way - did you try the brown 70's stingray?  That is an amazing playing bass!

I A/B’d the player and the Am Pro

The  pro was really good but way beyond my budget at another 800 quid I rehearsed with my Player FSR on Monday and absolutely love it. 

I didn’t try the Musicman but I did try a lovely sunburst 5 string at Wunjos 

Unfortunately Wunjos couldn’t get me an FSR in that colour so I ordered it from my local PMT  on Friday it was in store on Saturday. They matched the lowest price £639.

Kudos to Tom at Wunjos his response was sorry couldn’t help in this instance but as long as I got the bass I wanted that was the main thing as I d be back next time I purchased something. I certainly will. Great service good prices and nice folk in the heart of the West End; what’s not to like?

Edited by lonestar