Why become a member? ×

New 'Verb... Prescribed by the Dr!

rodfunnell

After hearing a sweet 'verb effect during Pete Stroud's (aka @mybass) presentation at the SE Bass Bash last weekend (again thanks to all involved for such a great day) I took a peek at his board and saw a Dr Green's Bass Verb pedal. Once I got home, unloaded, did my fair share of the nappies and finally sat down I had a shufty round the internet and spotted one for sale on Gear For Music for £44 - and got to keep my gold status as a result of the order (I had no idea what this was about but when you get an email saying make an order of lose your preferential prices you do take action!) - I'm fully aware it is not going to make me sound one iota like Pete, but at least I would LOOK like I might to any gear nuts!

I got to have a play with it last night at my band's 'acoustic' set practice and was pleasantly surprised - I'm not really a pedal user (have a load but never got into the whole dancing round turning them on and off) but think this one might have some real scope! As a result of the lack of a gigging board I was especially pleased it used PSU or battery! It is really simple but has usable sounds through the whole sweep of the controls and is solidly built. I can't recommend this strongly enough - I can't say it makes me sound like Pete but that wasn't really the aim - I'm just pleased it wasn't a folly and it adds a great new dimension, its not going to be destroyed by a cloven-footed harp player and I'm supporting a British brand - even if the unig is made in China.

It is a simple, solid metal casing housing the true bypass internal gubbins, a footswitch, two simple controls - Mix, (the amount of reverb vs. the amount of dry signal) and Depth, (amount of effect) and an obligatory LED operation indicator, but it can take you from a 'tight short plate' to a 'huge cathedral-type wash' - don't get me wrong we are not talking about the quality of a Eventide pedal but neither is the price! I'm going to add a footnote to this next week after a full electric band practice as I'm not 100% sure about any volume drop off on engagement, especially at the extremes of the sweeps but at the moment I'm happy with the results for such a relatively small outlay!

A comprehensive, not salesy Ashdown demo can be seen here:

If you want to score a bit of brilliant, British Bass 'Verbiness then check out https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dr-Green-Bass-Verb-Reverb-Pedal/PFI while the sale price lasts, and you can still get them as Ashdown have realeased a new line of Bass effects!

73063391_704653860018077_7827233539367108608_n.jpg