Why become a member? ×

Learning to read rhythm

wishface

On 01/12/2019 at 23:52, stewblack said:

As recommended by he who shall be obeyed, I speak of none other than @TKenrick@TKenrick this is absolutely brilliant

15752443333016016590447893975701.jpg

We were made to use this at music college and I still use it now.

Like learning any new skill reading rhythm takes time (we're talking years not days) so give yourself a little time each day and lots of space to mess up (i.e don't be too hard on yourself). I feel quite strongly that we're not any worse at learning as we get older rather we just don't have enough time or head space as there's always so much else going on. Kids don't learn to read music overnight - they get like 15 years (start around 5 be mint by the time you're 20) but because we're adults everyone (including ourselves) assumes we should just be able to do it straight away so either we don't try for fear of failing OR try and can't do it and feel a bit stupid. Let all that crap go and focus on 10 mins a day of rhythm reading...bit by bit it will improve. I've got 20 years bass teaching experience of all ages and have been a degree lecturer for many years. I like to think I know a thing or two about teaching people stuff.

Get this rhythm book. It's mint. 

The Anthony Vitti books are great too - in about 6 years time they'll come in to your own for you I reckon! 

Embrace the gradual learning my friend :)

I don't get on much with books, but I have one on developing your 'bass groove' and rather than numbers it has words/sounds that help you visualise (audiolise?) complex rhythms.  I find 'internally vocalising' helps greatly with getting a rythym from tab or conventional music (I can read pretty much rythyms, not pitches!)

It does come with practice, try and 'accent' the downbeat, and other significant beats. Even simple things like triplets can be:

DAH -dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah

Such emphasis isn't obvious from score (usually) but the grouping of triplets in threes is a clue.

Get that in your head and you find yourself playing it easily, emphasising the notes at three levels of emphasis rather than just playing twelve identical notes.

When playing with a drummer, listen for the patterns they use, you may want to lock in to the rythym on the snare or kick, or maybe the gaps between them. A good song to practice is In Bloom by Nirvana, where the bass and drums lock together in some nice, memorable patterns but the tempo is nice and slow.

I'm afraid I find repeat listening to be more effective than counting... Sharp Dressed Man has 19(!) bars of straight eighth notes and I find it vastly easier to listen to the guitar solo than to count!