Why become a member? ×

How To Avoid Bad Gigs

Bluewine

5 hours ago, TimR said:

The only 2 really bad gigs I’ve done have been venues with tiled floors. 
The first was a dinner and dance in a golf club. The singers mum was in attendance and had drunk plenty of wine and all I got all night was abuse from her that she couldn’t hear her daughter. The room acoustics were appalling everything was mush and there was nothing we could do.

Then a couple of years later we opened a Porsche garage one evening and played in the sales area. Hard tiled floor. Awful.  

Other than that a gig is a gig. 

For new venues we usually check the place out before the gig. If there's not enough room for the band we won't take the gig.

Blue

On 24/10/2019 at 08:40, richardjmorgan said:

Totally agree with all this. I think a lot of it boils down to "shite promoters" – in my experience, the ones who'v got their heads screwed on in terms of logistics/communication/organisation are usually the same ones who put the work in in terms of actually *promoting* the show properly, and are the ones coming to find *you* to pay you, rather than you having to chase after them.  If you're having trouble getting any decent communication from a promoter about anything beforehand, I reckon it's a pretty safe bet you're in for more hassle on the night too.

Our band leader pays us in cash before each and every gig. Tips are divided equally after the gig.

Blue