Why become a member? ×

Your opinions on what this bass is...

Silky999

I’m in the process of buying this bass and wanted opinions on what it is. I’m sure it is a copy or some sort of Frankenstein bass made of the bits of others. I like the look of it and I’m not concerned that it’s some Fender rarity. I’ve paid £140 so please feel free to rip me a new one if you think I’ve been had over lol.

i would really appreciate your opinions on it and any info. 

BC510F81-F9CD-47B4-A475-A36E4F385559.png

22E6140C-F765-4FBF-9574-2A2436D3A357.png

FB99C7C0-9403-4F1E-8C42-5CDAF06E0EA8.png

293784CC-508C-44C1-B2CB-75EAB3F489C2.png

DD14017F-F05F-4B3A-BA74-5866E21557EA.png

58EACF71-FCD8-4500-B449-CD1ECA29DAC5.png

8E85B516-0EA3-477C-9779-961E314BDC6A.png

17 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Whatever the body (which looks decent, if full of holes), could it be a replacement neck, like a Warmoth or something? It appears to have been modded with the black hardware and screws, so the neck might well have been changed too.

I'm sure that once it arrives you can check for any identifying marks under the scratchplate or in the neck pocket, and perhaps the sticky label on the neck holds some clues, too.

I thought the holes were reflected off something. Eeeek. I'd have to fill them and repaint the hole thing. 

Yep there’s holes in it. Some of them have been used for a bridge cover and pick up cover but some of the others around the pick guard look like they haven’t?? Any fender/copy bodies come with pre drilled holes? It’s like they were an option for a bigger/different shape pick guard?

I agree that the bridge and tuners are not original and the missing logo is weird. The sticker which was on the bass when the previous owner got it from a pawn shop says

”FENDERJACK CSD BLK PA 952100 0202” with a price of £499. Could this refer to just the neck and hence incomplete logo?

I have hunted all combinations of this but nothing comes up in the internet.

CSD could stand for custom shop designed, it could be a paint code for cherry sunburst which is what I think the finish is. 

No serial number obvious either, any suggestions about where to look?

It's a bitsa, by the looks. Inclined to think the body isn't solid timber - the big black oversprays on the front & rear contours are the giveaway, they'll probably be concealing either ply laminates or (if you're lucky) the edges of veneered mahogany butcher-block.

I get the feeling the body & neck are separated by a few years - the neck looks much newer. The body might be from a 70s/80s copy - all those holes above the scratchplate are weird, but the ones for ashtrays are likely original, and consistent with older copies.

So, looks like someone's put together a bass with an old body & new neck & hardware - the neck looks decent - it's a single-piece without the separate glued-on fretboard often found on budget necks. Bridge & tuners look functional rather than exotic, unfortunately though you can't tell much about the pickups from the pics. Although I'd lean towards thinking they're newer than the body - I can't see any wear on the tops or corrosion/discolouration of the poles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silky999 said:

”FENDERJACK CSD BLK PA 952100 0202”

The BLK probably refers to 'black' and has nothing to do with the neck. Looks like a label stuck on the neck because it has the F word in it. Plus it's in a strange place, labels are generally at the heel of the neck.

The pickguard is aftermarket, so my guess it's a bitsa of cheap parts. If the bass is heavy then it may be decent, if it's not very heavy than you may have overpaid, you could get a Squier jazz for less.

That sticker will just be an internal logging code for cash converters or whatever.

Whatever “Terry” on the counter decided to enter it into the system as.

the headstock “jazz bass” looks a lot like the font used for Highway 1 mk2 or American Special series, but why they’d sand “Fender” off it’d have no idea - also the serial numbers are on the rear of the headstock on those which means that’s either been sanded off too if it was ever there.

Body proportion looks to be around about right, might be an MIM fender or Squier. 

All the Hardware is aftermarket. It’s deffo bits shoved together, potentially a fender neck, but with bits sanded off it...

Thanks for all the opinions folks. 
I think until I can actually get hands on it, it will be difficult to sort out what’s what. 
Like I said, I’m just going on gut feeling and I’m hoping it will be more than the sum of all it’s parts. I kinda like the idea that someone has resurrected something from the bits of others. Maybe it will give me some “green” cred if nothing else. 
The seller said he’d had quite a bit of interest in it so worst case I can always try and sell to get my money back lol. You never know, it could be a diamond in the rough with a killer sound, but then again........

Lol, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say....

I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that it’s MIJ copy well the body anyway. 
The neck and body do match some of the Fender American and deluxe especially the older ones. 

Can someone tell me what the small circular metal widget is on the back of the headstock? Is it some sort of alternative for the string clamp on the front?

2 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I never knew whether it was there to be used, in which case it's not very well placed to avoid clashing with the E tuner, or whether it was a spare, like that extra button you get sewn into a shirt.

I've heard it's for attaching the strap to when the bass is in its case, keeps it tidy apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

I've heard it's for attaching the strap to when the bass is in its case, keeps it tidy apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Folks discuss the "hootenanny" strap button here.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/old-school-strap-connection-to-prevent-neck-dive.1391719/#post-22400062

Best quote. "I think if you actually use the hootenanny strap button, everyone will ask if you're the kid from Deliverence."

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I know the decal on the headstock could have been applied by anyone, but doesn't it say Made In USA on there?

I don't think I've ever seen a USA neck with the truss adjuster on the headstock, that says MIM to me.

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

or whether it was a spare, like that extra button you get sewn into a shirt.

love this idea! =D

16 hours ago, Silky999 said:

Lol, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say....

I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that it’s MIJ copy well the body anyway. 
The neck and body do match some of the Fender American and deluxe especially the older ones. 

Can someone tell me what the small circular metal widget is on the back of the headstock? Is it some sort of alternative for the string clamp on the front?

Body could well be MIJ, don't think the neck is. Whip the neck off & see if there's a heel stamp, might be an Allprats or other licensed Fender type.

I think the neck's probably been bought unbranded & the decal's an Ebay special - and, in an unusual moment of honesty, whoever applied it cut off the bit that said "Fender"! :D

I quite like it, tbh, I do like a maple/dots neck on a J. If it was mine the black hardware would be straight back on Ebay and replaced with some nice chrome/nickel bits. And a proper string tree!

Edited by Bassassin