Why become a member? ×

Playing bass with drumstick (?!)

jamden37

Hi there,

I've got a v weird question that I thought only basschat forum would be able to help me with.

My band and I are coming up with quite a strange part of our live set. It's during a period of the song when the guitarist will be playing a solo and bass only needs one note, E. So we thought it would be a good idea for the bassist/vocalist to take off the bass, place it on a stand and walk around the stage with the mic in hand, and returning to the bass once every bar to hit the low E string with a drumstick to get the note.

Only problem is, the other three strings ring out as well if you hit the note hard (which I'll be doing). Can anyone think of a quick way to mute the other three strings, hands free and mid-song. Because it's mid song, whatever's being done to mute the strings need to be done quickly (2-3 seconds) and easily removed for the rest of the song. Any ideas??

(I thought about having a capo with some padding underneath it, but this would be quite fiddly and a lot of room for error live)

Will post videos of this strange sequence if we ever pull it off live.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
On 31/10/2019 at 05:39, itu said:

Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta in Peter Gabriel's Big time. Levin developed Marotta's drum sticks to funk fingers.

If there are too many strings, Atlansia has Solitaire bass.

I was about to post the same thing.  That's drumsticks on the VERY BRIEF bass part in "Big Time".  

That Levin invented "funk fingers" out of it was a direct consequence of how awesome it sounded.... WATCHING levin play funk fingers is HILLARIOUS - they're so long LoL, I have no idea how he has any control over it, although he is a bass playing genius...

• Like 1