Why become a member? ×

We've discovered a winner.

leschirons

I'm sure you're all aware of  "One step beyond" syndrome by where anybody in the audience who doesn't dance, is over 50 years old and usually has a career as a QC, a surgeon or chartered accountant suddenly starts strutting around the floor and throwing upper-cuts at the air. Well, as a special request, we busked "I wanna be like you" a little while back. Singer only knew a few of the lyrics and we guessed a key (Em) to have a go.

BLIMEY, I can only recommend that if your band is up for a little fun, get this in the set list. They go crazy. They sing along and, we've even had 50 people trying to dance like apes. We rocked it up a little as the guitarist had heard a version by Fall out boy which really moves.

Highly recommended at the end of the evening or if you have a lackluster audience and need some response. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We also do it most gigs, in the more energetic style of Sing, Sing, Sing (Louis Prima version) - so a double nod to Louis Prima (who sang the original, gentler Jungle Book version) - but yes it always goes down well and gets people on the dance floor.

It is a global song . From Timbuktu to Tokyo everyone knows it of all generations .

There used to be a Street Piano at Jersey Airport which was decorated as a gorilla's head with the keys as a row of teeth . I started playing the song as I was passing once and by the time I got to the chorus a Polish boy was dancing behind me .

With an upright bass and a kazoo this tune can be busked anywhere .

On 23/10/2019 at 10:38, leschirons said:

I'm sure you're all aware of  "One step beyond" syndrome by where anybody in the audience who doesn't dance, is over 50 years old and usually has a career as a QC, a surgeon or chartered accountant suddenly starts strutting around the floor and throwing upper-cuts at the air. Well, as a special request, we busked "I wanna be like you" a little while back. Singer only knew a few of the lyrics and we guessed a key (Em) to have a go.

BLIMEY, I can only recommend that if your band is up for a little fun, get this in the set list. They go crazy. They sing along and, we've even had 50 people trying to dance like apes. We rocked it up a little as the guitarist had heard a version by Fall out boy which really moves.

Highly recommended at the end of the evening or if you have a lackluster audience and need some response. 

Was that at a wedding in Shropshire by any chance? 10th August?

Edit - Ah, I see you're in France, so probably not.

Edited by Count Bassy

I can just imagine it!  Great left of field song choice.  My recently defunct covers band played a vaguely rock-a-billy version of 'Walk Like An Egyptian' that never failed to get people, er, dancing like an Egyptian.  We played it straight after a decent, if I may so so, cover of 'Shine On You crazy Diamond' and the contrast was marked.

A good fun number enjoyed by all ages without fail. We've had this on our playlist for some time now. An easy tune we play in Am which I think was the original Key. For the most part  just root and lower 5th.

Edited by grandad