Why become a member? ×

Recorded Rehearsal - Unit 26 Studios Manchester

colleya

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@dave_bass5 - I'm sure that you've got enough on the camera front to sort out some proper gig footage? You've certainly got some fast enough lenses to cope with low light havent you?

I have but as im normally on stage its not something i can do myself, and using a DSLR is very tricky for a novice, due to the DOF etc.

Must admit i don't really have much experience with video like this, dont have lights etc, nor the experience to get the shots etc. Happy to pay a pro to do all this.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have but as im normally on stage its not something i can do myself, and using a DSLR is very tricky for a novice, due to the DOF etc.

Must admit i don't really have much experience with video like this, dont have lights etc, nor the experience to get the shots etc. Happy to pay a pro to do all this.

Here's my setup with a load of static cameras - with friend on monopod roaming cam. All set between 1.4 and 2.8. It's certainly a learning curve but a quite rewarding way to document gigs.

Apologies for it being a bit rough around the edges... guitarist, keys, perc and female singer all deps... and this was after a run through at soundcheck when somebody came up to us asking us to play Timewarp... so we gave it a go... warts and all.

It's all a learning curve. For this one... I learned that putting the wide high up on the balcony at the back of the venue in the cold leads to condensation on the lens...

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3

That looks like a great gig. Ours are nowhere near as interesting, or as regular. Ive always fancied videoing gigs, but lack of transport means i cant be bothered lugging the gear.

Going a bit off topic i have just ordered the new GoPro Max. I figure if i plonk that at the front of the stage it will capture everything, inc the crowd, and i can re frame afterwards. Audio supplied by my Roland digitla recorder.

35 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Going a bit off topic i have just ordered the new GoPro Max. I figure if i plonk that at the front of the stage it will capture everything, inc the crowd, and i can re frame afterwards. Audio supplied by my Roland digitla recorder.

Interesting. I've been looking at the GoPro, seems quite an impressive piece of kit... especially if it can perform in low light. I've got a friend who does similar with a Mevo. Takes crops to get different angles, despite there being only one camera.

48 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Interesting. I've been looking at the GoPro, seems quite an impressive piece of kit... especially if it can perform in low light. I've got a friend who does similar with a Mevo. Takes crops to get different angles, despite there being only one camera.

Ive used my GoPro a few times and the quietly is pretty good, although not as good as a proper video camera.a The good thing is its so small it can be clamped almost anywhere and doesn't need focusing etc. I was very tempted to upgrade my Hero 7 to the new Hero 8, but ive always fancied a decent 360 degree camera. It will be strange videoing the crowd at the same time as the band.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive used my GoPro a few times and the quietly is pretty good, although not as good as a proper video camera.a The good thing is its so small it can be clamped almost anywhere and doesn't need focusing etc. I was very tempted to upgrade my Hero 7 to the new Hero 8, but ive always fancied a decent 360 degree camera. It will be strange videoing the crowd at the same time as the band.

I've got an old GoPro that never really cut it in the dark. I don't know what they are like now - I'm tempted to get another one, although I certainly haven't had the moneys worth out of what I paid for mine, so I'm more than a bit reluctant to splash out again... especially when I have a list of lenses I still want to get.

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I've got an old GoPro that never really cut it in the dark. I don't know what they are like now - I'm tempted to get another one, although I certainly haven't had the moneys worth out of what I paid for mine, so I'm more than a bit reluctant to splash out again... especially when I have a list of lenses I still want to get.

I hardly use mine, but its been handy when ive been on holiday as its totally waterproof. Also good for festivals etc. The Hyper lapse feature is very cool, and the stabilisation is very, very good.

Ive hardly touched my DSLR since getting a Canon M50 last year. might start selling off the L lenses.

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I hardly use mine, but its been handy when ive been on holiday as its totally waterproof. Also good for festivals etc. The Hyper lapse feature is very cool, and the stabilisation is very, very good.

Ive hardly touched my DSLR since getting a Canon M50 last year. might start selling off the L lenses.

The waterproof stuff is a big positive I agree. I took mine diving - again, the lack of low light meant that it wasn't the best. Maybe I am just expecting too much out of it.

I guess my phone has taken over from the portable camera need... and if I want to take a small rig, I can stick my phone on a osmo gimbal. Maybe I just need a killer application to justify buying one. Hmm... let me think.

Those M50s are great. Well, if you ever see yourself selling off your lenses, let me know - there may be something I'm interested in. My mate picked up the 8-15L yesterday for 350 quid. To say Im a little jealous is a bit of an understatement... I've got a 14mm 2.8... but the AF and the extra wide.... argh. Next time.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The waterproof stuff is a big positive I agree. I took mine diving - again, the lack of low light meant that it wasn't the best. Maybe I am just expecting too much out of it.

I guess my phone has taken over from the portable camera need... and if I want to take a small rig, I can stick my phone on a osmo gimbal. Maybe I just need a killer application to justify buying one. Hmm... let me think.

Those M50s are great. Well, if you ever see yourself selling off your lenses, let me know - there may be something I'm interested in. My mate picked up the 8-15L yesterday for 350 quid. To say Im a little jealous is a bit of an understatement... I've got a 14mm 2.8... but the AF and the extra wide.... argh. Next time.

Ive used my Hero 7 in shallow ocean and its been great. not been diving with it though. Its just oen of those things you can just throw around without fear of damaging it (within reason).

I too am more likely to use my iPhone or Osmo Pocket over a camera these days for video. I have the Osmo Mobile 2 and 3, but not really used them much. OM2 too big to take out, OM3 still new and not had the chance. Just ordered the Max, getting it tomorrow.

Until i decide if and when im going to sell my 5D4 i cant get rid of too much, but first out the door will be my 16-35 f/4L. Lovely lens, used it maybe 5-6 times since i got it. I guess that would be good for shooting a show reel in a studio with though. Hmmm, now theres a thought.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Until i decide if and when im going to sell my 5D4 i cant get rid of too much, but first out the door will be my 16-35 f/4L. Lovely lens, used it maybe 5-6 times since i got it. I guess that would be good for shooting a show reel in a studio with though. Hmmm, now theres a thought.

That is literally the perfect video lens for FF. Get to it.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

So two cameras with two perfect lenses. What you complaining about? 😛

Because i have no one else that can use them 😉

I have thought about doing it a few times, but its getting the band together in a decent looking place and getting tarted up, setting our light up etc. Singer wasnt us to do it but ive tried before and its bloody hard work with my lot.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

and its bloody hard work with my lot.

You've hit the nail on the head. That's always the most difficult part. I organise and manage the gigs. I do all the PA movement. I do all the cabling. I do all the lighting, I do the MDing, I do the finances, I set up the cameras (although I brought my friend along with me on the one above to help me out as I knew I'd be pushed for times with the number of deps), I edit all the footage etc.. etc...

Come to think of it, just pay for it. I'm stupid for doing what I do!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Apologies for it being a bit rough around the edges... guitarist, keys, perc and female singer all deps... and this was after a run through at soundcheck when somebody came up to us asking us to play Timewarp... so we gave it a go... warts and all.

Sounds great! Especially love the drum mix, and no discernible warts at all! Also looks like a really fun gig.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 17:24, colleya said:

To help out with the upcoming gig booking season, my band booked in at Unit 26 Studios in Trafford Park near Manchester for a 'recorded rehearsal'.

3 songs, recorded live, warts and all, with a multi camera setup in a 2 hour slot.  First hour was setup and warm up, second hour was 2 takes of each song.  Then mixed down, edited and sent to us 2 weeks later all for £150.

We're very happy with the results. As a pub covers band paying for a full showreel was a bit much so this was a nice in between solution.  I'd absolutely recommend the studio.

For those who are interested, the bass rig was all bought from the sale boards on here:

• Stingray Stealth 5H - via @derek
  • Handbox R400 - via @TPJ
  • Barefaced Two-10 - I forget who from and can't find the PMs about it.

Here's one of the vids, would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers!

Really enjoyed that and loved that little fill at 1:15. Loved the bass tone and didn't think it had too much mid or treble. Sounded just about right for that song. 

Great vocals all round and would never have guessed the singer had any issues that day. Spot on for me.

Well done.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, colleya said:

Sounds great! Especially love the drum mix, and no discernible warts at all! Also looks like a really fun gig.

Great mate of mine and listens to a lot of what I have to say - if you notice he has a tiny kit, including 16 inch bass drum. Small kits are great to mic up and process at the desk. Quieter, less ring, less flab and less problematic overtones and drones - and super tight sounding - let the PA do the work as I say. The drummer loves the sound of his kit through the PA rig - and despite the kits size, it sounds huge.

You don't need a massive kit to sound massive, you just need a bit of PA know-how.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1