Why become a member? ×

Recorded Rehearsal - Unit 26 Studios Manchester

colleya

To help out with the upcoming gig booking season, my band booked in at Unit 26 Studios in Trafford Park near Manchester for a 'recorded rehearsal'.

3 songs, recorded live, warts and all, with a multi camera setup in a 2 hour slot.  First hour was setup and warm up, second hour was 2 takes of each song.  Then mixed down, edited and sent to us 2 weeks later all for £150.

We're very happy with the results. As a pub covers band paying for a full showreel was a bit much so this was a nice in between solution.  I'd absolutely recommend the studio.

For those who are interested, the bass rig was all bought from the sale boards on here:

• Stingray Stealth 5H - via @derek
  • Handbox R400 - via @TPJ
  • Barefaced Two-10 - I forget who from and can't find the PMs about it.

Here's one of the vids, would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers!

Edited by colleya
To fix ham fisted youtube linkery.
  • Like 12

58 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

We’ve looked at that too - seems really decent 👍🏼

We couldn't justify spending full day in the studio and video shoot type money. It's fantastic for the price. No, it's not perfect - our singer was really suffering with sinusitis and I made my usual stupid mistakes but still really happy with it. I'd go for it if I were you.

Wasn't expecting that, better by far than any single position video of a band clearly that was you, but live. For the sort of market my band operate in that's perfect. Wonder if there is anywhere round here that could do similar? £150 if it get's you one extra gig you are in profit.

Nice treatment of the song by the way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

The only consecutive criticism I might be so bold to add would be some colour wash lighting?

I took our lights and asked about using them, but the lads there advised against it.

What you can't see is that the fourth wall is about 3 feet in front of the singer and has three whacking great light panels on it. When I asked about the lights they said that these panels would wash them out completely.

Guitar and bass sound great, as do BVs, and overall it's really tight. On the first track (HLTW) I can't help thinking shifting the key up a bit would help the vocalist cut through, she gets though much better in the second track on that basis. Great stuff though, well done. C

• Like 1

Cheers gents, appreciate the comments. The bass sound came out with more mid and treble than I'd usually dial in, but I like it a lot.

@Beedster Our singer was really struggling that day, lots of coughing between takes etc. She did a fab job of covering it up but her power at either end of the range was down a bit which affected her ability to really go for it. And then we made her do this:

Edited by colleya
  • Like 2

Lighting is always difficult if shooting on (what I presume they are using) DSLR with 8 bit video. I reckon they made the right choice of advising against it because it'll look to be likely blown out and cheesy. Its one of the constant struggles I have when videoing my gigs. Anyway, this looks great - especially for the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Its an option, but if we didn't take out own kit it would end up a compromise, which i would want captured on video.

Our drummer used their kit and it sounds great. He had brought his and was all ready to set up but it was loads less hassle to use the one provided.

Guitarist and I used our own amps.

29 minutes ago, colleya said:

Our drummer used their kit and it sounds great. He had brought his and was all ready to set up but it was loads less hassle to use the one provided.

Guitarist and I used our own amps.

MY drummer is very fussy and we would never hear the end of it if he didnt get to use his kit (not thats its anything special). Guitarist likes to use more than one guitar, as many as he can normally 🙂