Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I could ... but it's prettey spectacularly unmusical. More of a sound effect. The reason it made me happy is because it's the first time I've set out to create something specific and achieved it. Up until now I've more stumbled on things.

Sound effects are good too. Have you heard my FM-alike patch? It’s mad and totally unmusical but fun. There’s always a use for stuff. 

• Like 1

How do I cause a synth sound to fade after being held for a specific length of time? The instrument sound fades naturally of course, and I'm not trying to make them fade together. I'm happy for the synth sound to last longer.

Anyone any ideas?

Rehearsal yesterday, used the FI to great effect, first time in a band setting and it attracted all sorts of interest from the others. 

Also started to work more on my own sounds. I'm particularly keen to try to get as close as possible to so. e Depeche Mode sounds. Not easy as they used all sorts of creative ways to make noises and not just with synths.

Hello all, I was wondering if I can just use the Future Impact just for its Envelope Filter section? i.e. sound of my bass or whatever is before the FI and just use the FI for its filters and not its oscillators? Also can anyone recommend any Midi controllers used to use the FI with a Expression pedal please.

Edited by Ruck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruck said:

Hello all, I was wondering if I can just use the Future Impact just for its Envelope Filter section? i.e. sound of my bass or whatever is before the FI and just use the FI for its filters and not its oscillators? Also can anyone recommend any Midi controllers used to use the FI with a Expression pedal please.

Yes, download my envelope filter patches from the panda online database. 

Get a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 and all will be well. 

On 07/07/2020 at 18:33, Ruck said:

22 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, download my envelope filter patches from the panda online database. 

Get a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 and all will be well. 

@Ruck, like this:

A place I do a bit of work plays Absolute  G̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ 80s, on the DAB. I realised that I actually like the synth bass on a lot of the poppy stuff like Baranaramara and early Depeche Mode among many others. 

My focus will therefore be on this area for a while. Any tips gratefully received. 

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

A place I do a bit of work plays Absolute  G̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ 80s, on the DAB. I realised that I actually like the synth bass on a lot of the poppy stuff like Baranaramara and early Depeche Mode among many others. 

My focus will therefore be on this area for a while. Any tips gratefully received. 

I posted a version of the bass for Cruel Summer a while back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Got any general advice for setting volume?
I've been reading a bit about VCF LIN and VCF LOG and what's going on there (there was only one VCF volume on the old software I believe) and I'm finding that setting the LIN lower and the LOG higher gives slightly more warmth to the sound generally? I'm not sure if this is true but it seems to sound better with the LIN lower. 
At this point a lot of it is trial and error in terms of setting the volume on each VCO, in the VCF input section (synth) and the LIN and LOG settings. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Hi! Got any general advice for setting volume?
I've been reading a bit about VCF LIN and VCF LOG and what's going on there (there was only one VCF volume on the old software I believe) and I'm finding that setting the LIN lower and the LOG higher gives slightly more warmth to the sound generally? I'm not sure if this is true but it seems to sound better with the LIN lower. 
At this point a lot of it is trial and error in terms of setting the volume on each VCO, in the VCF input section (synth) and the LIN and LOG settings. 

There is no combination of settings of the main mixer volumes which makes a sound warmer. They are simple volume controls, one with a linear taper, the other with a logarithmic taper. You are correct that the old software only had one slider. The second slider was added to give a better response when controlling it with a flexi slot.

Setting the VCO levels is a different matter entirely. You need to pay careful attention to the levels set on both the three waveform sliders within a single oscillator and the levels of the master VCO volumes of all four oscillators. Read the manual section on foldover distortion for an explanation. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

There is no combination of settings which makes a sound warmer. They are simple volume controls, one with a linear taper, the other with a logarithmic taper. You are correct that the old software only had one slider. The second slider was added to give a better response when controlling it with a flexi slot.

Setting the VCO levels is a different matter entirely. You need to pay careful attention to the levels set on both the three waveform sliders within a single oscillator and the levels of the master VCO volumes of all four oscillators. Read the manual section on foldover distortion for an explanation. 

I see, thank you very much!

1 minute ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I see, thank you very much!

Basically if the sum of volume sliders within a single oscillator goes over 127 then foldover distortion occurs. The same is true if the master volumes of two-or-more oscillators goes over 127. This is a design feature and some interesting sounds can be made with it. Try bypassing the filter entirely and assign the VCF envelope to one of the oscillator volume sliders so that at some point in the cycle the sum of volumes goes over 127. Several of my patches use this feature, usually the ones which are a pseudo FM sound. 

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Basically if the sum of volume sliders within a single oscillator goes over 127 then foldover distortion occurs. The same is true if the master volumes of two-or-more oscillators goes over 127. This is a design feature and some interesting sounds can be made with it. Try bypassing the filter entirely and assign the VCF envelope to one of the oscillator volume sliders so that at some point in the cycle the sum of volumes goes over 127. Several of my patches use this feature, usually the ones which are a pseudo FM sound. 

What I love about this pedal is that every time I turn it on, or open the editor, or engage in this kind of discussion, I learn so much! While I've made a ton of really great sounds from scratch, there are still large sections of the interface I do not fully understand.
Thanks again for the info, I feel like this is going to be very useful. I'm going to spend some serious time this evening looking into what you've said and reading the manual more as I clearly need to! 

• Like 1

So it seems I have had foldover distortion on a lot of my patches due to the sum of the 4 VOLUME sliders being greater than 127, or the saw + sq. + tri in once VCO was greater than 127. 
but I tried reducing these numbers and adjusting volume to eliminate foldover distortion and I can't say I hear a whole lot of difference to be honest? i was expecting things to sound cleaner?

2 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

So it seems I have had foldover distortion on a lot of my patches due to the sum of the 4 VOLUME sliders being greater than 127, or the saw + sq. + tri in once VCO was greater than 127. 
but I tried reducing these numbers and adjusting volume to eliminate foldover distortion and I can't say I hear a whole lot of difference to be honest? i was expecting things to sound cleaner?

You might not hear much difference if the filter cutoff is low as the differences are much more perceivable in the higher frequencies. Try bypassing the filter first then make the volume adjustments and you should hear some change. Depending on the relative levels, it can be subtle. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4