Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

As always, a read of the manual will tell you that you can have the pedal only cycle through banks of 10. Look at the section on the boot menu.

However, if you’re using an external midi controller, which I highly recommend, there are midi assignments for bank up and down, so you can have both methods simultaneously accessible, which is by far the best way.

Rolling off the passive tone helps a lot with double triggers. Also experiment with the note-on and note-off settings on the top of the pedal.

Pay careful attention to muting the previous note before striking another, that is the main culprit for mis-triggers. Learning to trigger the FI cleanly has helped me improve my playing generally.

3rd digit is exactly what it says on the pedal surface, namely the “data”. Basically all parameters on the top of the pedal are adjustable between 1 and 9; 5 is “centred” and means the patch plays as per the settings saved in the editor when it was created.

Some of my factory sounds were “doctored” by Panda after I submitted them to remove any midi assignments and these were mostly replaced with “accent” control (so controllable via playing dynamics). In several instances that dramatically changed how I envisaged the patches. I’ve uploaded my original versions to the file share site and these can be sent to the pedal and will overwrite the relevant patches. The originals sound way better in my opinion.

When you get the editor up and running, do download my patches and browse them as I am sure there’ll be many you’ll like. 

Thanks - this was just my 1st go, so haven't delved into the manual yet. (Real men don't read manuals and all that...)

I was hoping there's be a config option to set the button function - that's good!

Yes, re. tone; I previously made an on/off tone switch pedal with just a passive tone control, which might find its way back. I was playing my Rickenbacker, so winding both tones down is too much of a faff; plus the FI is only on one channel of my split signal, so it'd affect the other one too.

Hmmmm, the term "data" may mean something different to different folks; I think you are saying that it is the value of the selected parameter's setting?

I know I'm being a bit pedantic, but I've just done a text search for "data" in the FI User Guide v3.03 and it's not clear at all what it does: the manual refers to "data loss", a "database", MIDI "SysEx data", mentions that "setting the data digit to 5 will reproduce the settings as saved in the editor", and says the digit displays the "Edit Data"; I think the next iteration of the guide could maybe explain what it means in the context of the FI. ((Please treat this as constructive feedback, BTW, not a gripe at this point, as I'm just starting out with it.))

Aside from learning how they are playing you, the trick with these synth pedals is figuring out where and how their sounds will fit in with what you want to play and whether or not a given setting takes over your sound or adds to/accompanys it.

Edited by prowla

30 minutes ago, prowla said:

Aside from learning how they are playing you, the trick with these synth pedals is figuring out where and how their sounds will fit in with what you want to play and whether or not a given setting takes over your sound or adds to/accompanys it.

*Nods vigorously*

7 hours ago, prowla said:

"setting the data digit to 5 will reproduce the settings as saved in the editor", and says the digit displays the "Edit Data"; I think the next iteration of the guide could maybe explain what it means in the context of the FI. ((Please treat this as constructive feedback, BTW, not a gripe at this point, as I'm just starting out with it.))

Have a read of the the section called “editing the parameters” in either the quick start guide or the full manual. You’re quite right in that there’s no explicit mention of the data digit there; I’ll add a sentence to the next iteration of the manual. Thanks for pointing it out. 

The sentence from your quote above is the key one. Basically a data digit value of 5 on any of the pedal-top parameters means that the sound played is exactly as it was when it was saved in the editor. Any deviation either side changes the sound. 

It is only a coarse setting as many parameters have 128 steps in the editor, so making an adjustment on the pedal will change that parameter by quite a chunk. If I recall correctly it adjusts in a ratio relative to the patch’s saved settings, so how much it affects the sound depends very much on where the parameter is set in the editor in the first place. It’s a holdover feature from the deep impact, which had no editor and only had 9 onboard sounds so this control was how you got variety. I actually came up with an implementation idea for having the full range of the top-surface parameters be accessible from the edit dial but it would require a fairly major rewriting of some core code. It hasn’t been ruled out as a possibility but my guess is it’s unlikely. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

From what I've seen so far the current set up strikes a good balance. 

The pedal controls are as you say making broad changes without subtlety. But that's great when you first get the pedal. You can actually alter sounds straight away, before getting to grips with the software. 

Also at some gigs the sound that works in rehearsal just doesn't on stage. A quick shift of a parameter can fix this. Make it more complicated and that becomes tricky. 

I'm  struggling to follow the instructions in updating the firmware. The manual recommends downloading the latest distribution package but I see that this is version 1.22; does this mean it's not the latest version or is this the one I need to download?

12 hours ago, burno70 said:

I'm  struggling to follow the instructions in updating the firmware. The manual recommends downloading the latest distribution package but I see that this is version 1.22; does this mean it's not the latest version or is this the one I need to download?

If you don’t need to save any custom patches from your pedal, simply use the Chrome browser updater. https://auraplug.com/panda/fiupdate/start.html

It holds your hand through the entire process (be sure to let the updater install the factory soundset too otherwise you’ll have problems until you do).

Ignore anything under “Future Impact I. legacy files”.

When I wrote the manual, I assumed they would group all the necessary v3 files into a distribution package as they had done previously, which is why I wrote it as such - they didn’t. If you don’t go the browser update route (though there’s no reason not to) then you need the files listed as v3. See picture below.

If you use the browser updater, then you don’t need to download the firmware. You’ll just need the v3 editor file (there’s a version of the manual embedded in the editor).

E923991D-D3E8-4934-B46A-4B6205433A75.png

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Was there a bit more to get the tuner to the correct pitch, which we discussed earlier, or is that already covered in the above? 

covered numerous times in the manual in FAQ, section on tuner and section on updates as already discussed, but worth mentioning. Take note @burno70

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 02/05/2020 at 23:37, stewblack said:

Also at some gigs the sound that works in rehearsal just doesn't on stage. A quick shift of a parameter can fix this. Make it more complicated and that becomes tricky. 

I‘ve often had sounds which sounded fine on the smaller speakers in my home office jump out and take your head off in a live context. The capacity to tweak them (at the Soundcheck, not on the fly mind - the knobs are too sensitive to do that in the heat of battle) is very useful there.

• Like 1

I've just had a good two hours with the manual and the programme. Felt ready to do it, my health hasn't been great and concentration on a new task can be exhausting for me. However, today I was feeling good. I worked carefully and diligently through until I felt I wasn't really absorbing info any more so skipped to the make your first sound. Very exciting. Reset it and did it over several times until the pathways began to open and could see what has happening. Reset again and created a totally different sound. Saved a few efforts and loaded them onto my FI.

Very satisfying and I really feel I have got over my 'instruction phobia' and can start to associate some of the controls with what they will do to the sound; rather than just hit something and see what comes out.

Colour me excited.

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've just had a good two hours with the manual and the programme. Felt ready to do it, my health hasn't been great and concentration on a new task can be exhausting for me. However, today I was feeling good. I worked carefully and diligently through until I felt I wasn't really absorbing info any more so skipped to the make your first sound. Very exciting. Reset it and did it over several times until the pathways began to open and could see what has happening. Reset again and created a totally different sound. Saved a few efforts and loaded them onto my FI.

Very satisfying and I really feel I have got over my 'instruction phobia' and can start to associate some of the controls with what they will do to the sound; rather than just hit something and see what comes out.

Colour me excited.

Congratulations chief 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Colour me excited.

Excellent. Glad somebody has got some positive use from that section; I felt the manual needed something like that.

Is it worth my writing some more such tutorials?

38 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Excellent. Glad somebody has got some positive use from that section; I felt the manual needed something like that.

Is it worth my writing some more such tutorials?

For me yes definitely. I will go back and continue to read through the manual. Its a subject I know nothing about and so it takes a lot of concentration. 

But that exercise introduced me to some fundamental concepts which is great. The different blocks of controls make a lot more sense now. 

I find with other complex software (photoshop springs to mind) that following a few tutorials to get you from one place to a specific end product is not only pleasing (because there's an end result) but you are learning a path through the software and picking up bits of knowledge along the way. 

Say for instance a tutorial to produce an envelope like an auto wah. Another to produce a simple octave up and octave down. Nothing too complex but each time a newb like me creates something and knows how and why he's created it there's a lot of knowledge and understanding or should I say demistifying happens 

Say for instance a tutorial to produce an envelope like an auto wah. Another to produce a simple octave up and octave down. Nothing too complex but each time a newb like me creates something and knows how and why he's created it there's a lot of knowledge and understanding or should I say demistifying happe

I’m already several steps ahead of you on that score: check the section of the manual called “FI as a replacement for standard single effects pedals”. Here I go through how to set it up as an envelope filter, wah pedal, chorus, flanger, phaser, octaver, etc. Have a follow through that as there are some good nuggets in there. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m already several steps ahead of you on that score: check the section of the manual called “FI as a replacement for standard single effects pedals”. Here I go through how to set it up as an envelope filter, wah pedal, chorus, flanger, phaser, octaver, etc. Have a follow through that as there are some good nuggets in there. 

Look forward to it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to reset the tuner on my FI. I power on while holding the left footswitch down, then turn the Parameter dial to Note Off Level, the screen first reads 3.03, then very briefly bSS but before I can do anything else it just reverts to the usual bank/programme / data values.

Am I missing something?

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

I am trying to reset the tuner on my FI. I power on while holding the left footswitch down, then turn the Parameter dial to Note Off Level, the screen first reads 3.03, then very briefly bSS but before I can do anything else it just reverts to the usual bank/programme / data values.

Am I missing something?

Hold the button longer. You need to start holding the button down before you insert the power cable. Continue holding the button down until after the firmware version number and instrument mode have both been displayed. I might reword this bit of the manual in the next revision to make this clearer.

If you turn the parameter dial to “note off level” before you perform the above action then you’ll know you’ve performed it correctly as you’ll see “rS” (reset) shown in the display. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

7 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes. What do you want to do with it?

At the moment it's just a idea. If I use the FI as a multi effect (which I shall) it would be nice to turn on and of certain effects as and when I want to use them in a song. At the moment I'd have to place them in a specific order and click / double click back and forth to find each one. I wondered about assigning certain pedals on something like this to certain patches (or programmes, or effects or however you like to think of them)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

At the moment it's just a idea. If I use the FI as a multi effect (which I shall) it would be nice to turn on and of certain effects as and when I want to use them in a song. At the moment I'd have to place them in a specific order and click / double click back and forth to find each one. I wondered about assigning certain pedals on something like this to certain patches (or programmes, or effects or however you like to think of them)

You could use a MIDI controller. 

I thought this is a midi controller?🤔

It is. I’d recommend the Morningstar MC6 over this though, unless you need massive buttons. MC6 can send up to 16 messages per button and has two toggle positions and several different actions per button. It’s so versatile and can be set up to do whatever you like.

I set mine up to play chords on the FI.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4