Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

On 21/03/2020 at 03:23, Kiwi said:

The Real Thing
Can You Feel The Force (mix of real and synth bass)

@Kiwi, thanks for drawing this to my attention, just listening to the album from which this track is taken and it’s well funky.

I’ve made a playlist now. I probably won’t do all these tracks but there definitely some in there that I’d like to do. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

17 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

@Kiwi, thanks for drawing this to my attention, just listening to the album from which this track is taken and it’s well funky.

I’ve made a playlist now. I probably won’t do all these tracks but there definitely some in there that I’d like to do. 

You're welcome.  Yeah it's a big ask to do all the tracks.  I was inclined to make a second pass and filter out those that didn't have enough energy.  Some of them are floor fillers, others are in cruise control.

12 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

You're welcome.  Yeah it's a big ask to do all the tracks.  I was inclined to make a second pass and filter out those that didn't have enough energy.  Some of them are floor fillers, others are in cruise control.

I’ll do some filtering anyway. I’ll work on the ones that grab me (if I don’t distracted checking out the cool tracks I don’t know). There were quite a few of the newer tracks I recognised thanks to their being played at fitness classes. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Really good, the only thing I'd suggest is that the filter or resonance is a tad too high.  The original sounds a little more rubbery.

38 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Perfect! Wouldn't mind playing it myself and seeing how it feels in terms of tracking.  Some of the fills are fast.

40 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Really good, the only thing I'd suggest is that the filter or resonance is a tad too high.  The original sounds a little more rubbery.

Resonance is pretty low on this, just barely above minimum. I'm not sure what the starting waveforms are on the original. I’ve used a mixture of sawtooth and medium-width pulse as I was hearing some higher harmonics. With at most only 128 steps in the parameters and the fact that these sounds were created on different (and unknown-to-me) synths, it’s only ever going to be an approximation. 

50 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Perfect! Wouldn't mind playing it myself and seeing how it feels in terms of tracking.  Some of the fills are fast.

It won’t be as fast as some others as I’ve had to map it at actual pitch; I usually pitch down an octave so I can play higher up to get lower latency. In fact, the range played on the record exceeds that of a four-string bass; you’d need a high C string with 24 frets to play the whole thing as recorded. My guess would be that it was done on a Model D and uses the entire 3.5 octave range.  

@Quatschmacher

Play list is here: 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLse4iJAB00SvQkR1t_U1NxlHOdI4MIdCl
I've added a few more and deleted a load from the list above.  A couple of them could probably benefit from a remix - for example, no one has managed to do a great remix of Sweet Dreams and there are literally hundreds out there...but it's a classic. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kiwi said:

@Quatschmacher

Play list is here: 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLse4iJAB00SvQkR1t_U1NxlHOdI4MIdCl
I've added a few more and deleted a load from the list above.  A couple of them could probably benefit from a remix - for example, no one has managed to do a great remix of Sweet Dreams and there are literally hundreds out there...but it's a classic. 

Some of those sound massive like they are done on polysynths in unison mode (i.e. multiple voices on one note multiplied by however many oscillators each voice has). I won’t be able to replicate those unless you hook up multiple FIs. You might be able to get a similar effect by running into a quad chorus. Might even be able to use the onboard chorus with both delay lines. 

54 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Some of those sound massive like they are done on polysynths in unison mode (i.e. multiple voices on one note multiplied by however many oscillators each voice has). I won’t be able to replicate those unless you hook up multiple FIs. You might be able to get a similar effect by running into a quad chorus. Might even be able to use the onboard chorus with both delay lines. 

Some of them you could do on the C4.  I got the C4 specifically so I could give Heartbreak Make Me A Dancer a crack, but then you'd need my pedalboard as well.

It might be that more than one FI wouldn't be necessary if one of the patches is relatively simple - like a squelchy saw wave for example and even the Zoom B3 has a bass synth patch.

I've finally nailed this track! Here is me playing along (my part is panned more to the right, original more to the left):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16RZShslMt6j8oqF66_DTbgzMRIGtxGWJ

Here's my bass part in isolation:

I've uploaded this tweaked version of my patch to the file share site.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Here's a comparison of the raw waveforms of FI and C4.

FI is played first in both clips, levels all matched prior to recording.

Sounds like Soundcloud has introduced some artefacts even though I uploaded in WAV so here they are uploaded directly to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y6oeWA9hHq-AsLRwpDVN1V5vuGNgQVIr

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qicuY9iXxvD_pNvuf3khvR5PFwu0ZFdD

Edited by Quatschmacher

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4