Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

I need a new Midi interface to mess with this. M Audio decided to not update drivers for my old one. How I laughed.

Is the Roland UM One still the one of choice? Does it work on Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina? The drivers seem to have stopped at 10.11

Anyone with any 1st hand experience?

TIA.

38 minutes ago, owen said:

I need a new Midi interface to mess with this. M Audio decided to not update drivers for my old one. How I laughed.

Is the Roland UM One still the one of choice? Does it work on Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina? The drivers seem to have stopped at 10.11

TIA.

@SICbass?

41 minutes ago, owen said:

TIA.

UM-One MK 2 Goes to 10.15:

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/um-one_mk2/updates_drivers/e1812bfc-104a-4a18-a1db-b07980c0732c/

Still the interface of choice. I think Zsolt who writes the editor is using one.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Hi there,

sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I’ve only just seen this. I’m using (hack - spits in a bucket ptuh! What a piece of stinky poo )  Catalina 10.15.3 for my pains. Sometimes stuff works, sometimes not. Unfortunately I don’t know if that’s due to my UMone. There is a driver update for the interface which did help matters, but life since Catalina is fraught with issues all over my computer.

2 hours ago, owen said:

The FI firmawre? Nope, not yet - that was my first project.

No, your interface’s firmware. If that’s not up to date then it could cause problems with the FI update. (Not Having updated the UM-One driver was the reason @SICbass and I couldn’t get his FI to update on his Mac.)

8 hours ago, owen said:

MAudio stopped supporting my Mbox II some time ago. I was infuriated that a perfectly good piece of hardware could be rendered obsolete so arbitrarily.  I resolved to never spend more than the absolute minimum on an interface again. I hope the same hasnt happened to my MAudio Delta 1010 but suspect it may have, which would be another damn waste.

Last update for the 8Pre-FW is 2008. "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.". It works fine as an audio interface with Catalina and I am only borrowing it while I wait for the SSL 2 to actually be available. This should be within the week so it is not big deal. The SSL 2+ will be not very much more than a SSL 2 and a Roland UM-One but the 2+ has MIDI ports so I will prob go for one of those. It is beyond comprehension that they will not have proper Catalina drivers.

I had a plan. But I think I've realised it's silly.

I am definitely rehousing the FI in a compact enclosure. That's a no-brainer for saving space on my board.

Then I was going to leave the FI activated, and use a line selector pedal to route signal through the FI when I wanted the effect, because I don't want to accidentlaly step on the rotary encoder. Plus I was going to make a homemade Arduino box with program down and program up footswitches (MIDI CC 67 and 88).

BUT it's just occurred to me that I could get rid of the line selector,  and instead put an extra footswitch on my homemade unit to switch the FI on and off (MIDI CC 69). Then I may as well add a 4th footswitch in case I want to make it to do something else for a specific program. 

I know that @Quatschmacher will try again to persuade me to get a Morningstar MC6  but I think I'm happy with my plan for now. Can anybody see any flaws in this plan or does it make sense?

Here are five patches I intended to share for free but there seems to be a problem with the database site - either my permissions are blocked or there is a wider problem. Could someone please check if the "add new" button is visible and let me know. @GisserD, @lee650, @SICbass

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 2

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4