Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

43 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Anyone got any advice on starting a fresh patch, like a default, removing all parameters/effects etc?

Maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be a 'clear all' type feature, which is a bit annoying when you want to make a new patch. I don't always want to have to edit a preexisting one.
On occasions I've taken two different patches, changed ALL the parameters so that they are the same, and they will both sound different... Like some of the features or elements of the old patch are still there in the tone or character... So it's really hard to just start from scratch and really get used to building patches from the ground up.

I'm hoping I've missed a really basic feature that allows me to do this ha!

There is a clear all button in the latest editor.

init

image.png.bc274a1ea48ab4b3f97cbf829efa21d2.png

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Anyone got any advice on starting a fresh patch, like a default, removing all parameters/effects etc?

Maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be a 'clear all' type feature, which is a bit annoying when you want to make a new patch. I don't always want to have to edit a preexisting one.
On occasions I've taken two different patches, changed ALL the parameters so that they are the same, and they will both sound different... Like some of the features or elements of the old patch are still there in the tone or character... So it's really hard to just start from scratch and really get used to building patches from the ground up.

I'm hoping I've missed a really basic feature that allows me to do this ha!

Read the manual! I wrote a whole section on how to program from scratch! 

Use the “init” button in the program window (see photo in previous post).

Or use the “reset” function in the bottom right of the screen. Select the parameters you want to reset using the tick boxes (or by clicking “select all”).

89294A6A-9FCF-49AE-853B-62B130D9A4AA.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher

3 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks guys, I'm not sure how I missed this new feature. Appreciate the explanation on the individual reset sections as well.

I know it’s becoming a mantra, but please do read the manual. I put a lot of effort into it and am pretty sure it covers anything you could want to know. It has a clear index and is in pdf format so is searchable. There are lots of cool features in there that might not be immediately apparent. In fact, when I went to rewrite it, there was a feature in there that I was unaware of. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I know it’s becoming a mantra, but please do read the manual. I put a lot of effort into it and am pretty sure it covers anything you could want to know. It has a clear index and is in pdf format so is searchable. There are lots of cool features in there that might not be immediately apparent. In fact, when I went to rewrite it, there was a feature in there that I was unaware of. 

I gave it a read when I first bought the pedal about a year ago, but it was my first real take on programming, so I found a lot of it went over my head and I just messed around with the interface until I was able to make it do what I needed and was able to programme decent patches. 
I think now that I've got a better grasp of the pedal (and synths in general) it would probably be worth going back to it. 
I'll check out the pdf version, as my pedal was brought pre v3, so the manual that came with it might be outdated in sections now

10 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I gave it a read when I first bought the pedal about a year ago, but it was my first real take on programming, so I found a lot of it went over my head and I just messed around with the interface until I was able to make it do what I needed and was able to programme decent patches. 
I think now that I've got a better grasp of the pedal (and synths in general) it would probably be worth going back to it. 
I'll check out the pdf version, as my pedal was brought pre v3, so the manual that came with it might be outdated in sections now

If you read it a year ago it would have been a vastly different (and quite impenetrable) manual. Also it would have been for v2; v3 is very different. 

My new version was released at the end of October. I completely rewrote it, added screenshots, examples, wrote new sections on useful stuff and rendered it into clear English so it’s a completely different beast.

Read it either here or from within the editor under the “help” menu tab.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2020 at 17:30, Quatschmacher said:

I've collated all the v3 files I've released into a single folder (in addition to the individually uploaded files) so that users can download all my patches with a single click. I'll add to the folder in the future and newly added files will appear at the bottom of the list.

You just absolutely rock!

There, I‘ve said it.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 16:30, Quatschmacher said:

I've collated all the v3 files I've released into a single folder (in addition to the individually uploaded files) so that users can download all my patches with a single click. I'll add to the folder in the future and newly added files will appear at the bottom of the list.

Just to clarify, these are my FREE patches. I have others only available to my patrons via https://www.patreon.com/Quatschmacher

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Just to clarify, these are my FREE patches. I have others only available to my patrons via https://www.patreon.com/Quatschmacher

Have you gone as far as matching specific patches to songs?  Or are they more of a random, that-sounds-good-I'll-include-it type of thing?  If you had patches for specific songs that I was already interested in, I'd probably have your arm off.

On 18/02/2020 at 01:49, Kiwi said:

Have you gone as far as matching specific patches to songs?  Or are they more of a random, that-sounds-good-I'll-include-it type of thing?  If you had patches for specific songs that I was already interested in, I'd probably have your arm off.

It’s more the latter at present. (Though I did make a patch for “Who’s That Girl” for my friend, @SICbass the other night.) A few of my patches have been made to match particular tracks. (I see that my “Ain’t Nobody” patch is the most popular of all my downloaded patches by quite a margin.)

There are a couple of reasons for this. I’m not sure if I’d be able to nail exactly the sounds people request. Often they are done in different synths so it’s not always possible to replicate them exactly. If people are paying money then they sometimes end up expecting a lot more than is humanly possible. (I had a guy on TB asking why he should be paying me $5 per month when he gets XYZ for $7 per month from the likes of Netflix, Amazon prime, etc.) Writing patches is something I’m (currently) doing alongside a full-time (non-music) job and it can take a considerable amount of time to get a patch just so.

I’m happy to have a crack at certain patches and it’s a useful learning experience to analyse a sound and try to replicate it but I’d not be confident that I could deliver this regularly, in large quantities and to deadlines for people who have gigs impending.

The other reason is that I’d like to spend some time getting a bit deeper into the mod matrix on the FI and exploring what I can achieve with it. It’s nice to be free to just see what happens. (Though sometimes having a specific thing to aim for can be a good thing as constraints can help sharpen focus but it’s also nice to have the space to explore the randomness.)

Maybe put together a list of the sounds you’re after (with YouTube/Spotify links) and I’ll see if any interest me enough to want attempt to recreate them.

There are quite a few existing patches which are pretty close already to famous sounds. There’s one of the original FI factory patches which is very close to “Living for the City” as it is, for example. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Looking for some advice. 
Programmed a synth sound to match the bass sound of the track below, and how it 'fades in' (ducks?), but the problem with the editor I find, is that I can't get the note to stay at its 'peak' for long enough. It'll fade/swell in, then after a certain time (the max isn't very long) it'll need to fade back down/suddenly go back down (parameter dependent). What I'm looking to make is a patch that will fade/swell in, but then stay at the 'peak'/open sound for as long as I hold it, but I'm not sure this is possible..
VCA/VCF section looks like this for the simple fade in effect.
image.png.2c7c5c5d457cce7563a30e7a7b375aa5.png

Edited by AinsleyWalker

26 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Looking for some advice. 
Programmed a synth sound to match the bass sound of the track below, and how it 'fades in' (ducks?), but the problem with the editor I find, is that I can't get the note to stay at its 'peak' for long enough. It'll fade/swell in, then after a certain time (the max isn't very long) it'll need to fade back down/suddenly go back down (parameter dependent). What I'm looking to make is a patch that will fade/swell in, but then stay at the 'peak'/open sound for as long as I hold it, but I'm not sure this is possible..
VCA/VCF section looks like this for the simple fade in effect.
image.png.2c7c5c5d457cce7563a30e7a7b375aa5.png

Switch “envelope mode” slider into one of the other two settings then you’ll have access to the sustain parameter - use this to keep the note playing (in case of vca) or the filter open (in case of vcf).

Oh and read the manual. 😆(Particularly the section on envelopes.)

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Switch “envelope mode” slider into one of the other two settings then you’ll have access to the sustain parameter - use this to keep the note playing (in case of vca) or the filter open (in case of vcf).

Oh and read the manual. 😆(Particularly the section on envelopes.)

Haha yes, I do need to give the manual a proper read, I've been so busy lately (teacher training) and so I do appreciate the quick info. Hopefully one day soon I won't need to ask any more ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Haha yes, I do need to give the manual a proper read, I've been so busy lately (teacher training) and so I do appreciate the quick info. Hopefully one day soon I won't need to ask any more ;) 

I don’t mean read it cover to cover necessarily but if you need to know something, chances are a quick look at the index or a keyword search in it will show you what you need to know. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Hi there

I bought the Future Impact back in 2016 and I'm afraid that I have neglected this pedal for a couple of years now. Some 80's-bass-heavy-synth numbers have turned up in a couple of set lists recently, so I thought I should have another play with the pedal. After searching for an online manual on the Panda Midi website, I found out that version 3.03 had been released, although, I was a bit confused at first as I thought the V3 was a brand new pedal. Luckily not - and that's pretty awesome suppot in my opinion, and what a brilliant update!

I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find after spending at least 5 minutes trying, plus I probably should have asked them before buying,  but anyway...

1. I assume that the audio output instrument level, not line level that most synths are. Can someone confirm?
2. Does this pedal output the midi notes, and if not, could this be a possible update as I have a few hardware midi synths that would be fun to add to the mix?

If this is the wrong thread to ask these questions then please let me know and I'll start a new one.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illinformed said:

Hi there

I bought the Future Impact back in 2016 and I'm afraid that I have neglected this pedal for a couple of years now. Some 80's-bass-heavy-synth numbers have turned up in a couple of set lists recently, so I thought I should have another play with the pedal. After searching for an online manual on the Panda Midi website, I found out that version 3.03 had been released, although, I was a bit confused at first as I thought the V3 was a brand new pedal. Luckily not - and that's pretty awesome suppot in my opinion, and what a brilliant update!

I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find after spending at least 5 minutes trying, plus I probably should have asked them before buying,  but anyway...

1. I assume that the audio output instrument level, not line level that most synths are. Can someone confirm?
2. Does this pedal output the midi notes, and if not, could this be a possible update as I have a few hardware midi synths that would be fun to add to the mix?

If this is the wrong thread to ask these questions then please let me know and I'll start a new one.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi Andrew, welcome, you're in for a real treat!

The input instrument outputs at unity gain; the synth has a really hot signal and I think is line-level though it'd be best to get @Andras Szalay to confirm.

The FI doesn't output MIDI notes so you can't use it to control other synths. However, you can trigger the FI via MIDI so you can use other hardware synths (and their onboard sequencers) to control it.

Evening Quatschmacher, thanks for the quick reply.

1. I think the manual said to plug into an amp but as it signal is so hot, I did wonder. The amazing @Andras Szalay signed my pedal so I surely couldn't ask for anything more. However, any more info would be most helpful. I suppose our ears would work out if something isn't matching, but I often get confused when running guitar stomp boxes to line level effects racks back into amps with DI's into a PA.

2.  Hell yeah! I've already got a midi keyboard and controller rigged up to the pedal, but if it could ever transmit notes that I'm playing from my bass, then that would be something.

49 minutes ago, Illinformed said:

but if it could ever transmit notes that I'm playing from my bass, then that would be something.

Afraid that won’t happen as the code space is pretty low and there are still some other features to come later. 

You need one of these:

https://industrialradio.com.au/products/ir-j4-midi-bass/

Or these:

https://www.rorguitars.com/products/expressiv-midi-bass

I’ve got an IR PJ4 on order. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4