Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

9 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Ok never mind I managed to figure it out! 
It seems that you have to use the old editor to update the firmware, but then use the new one to write the v3 presets onto the pedal. This is not mentioned in the instructions, the only time the editor is mentioned is when it says to use the currently installed version (which implies the old one?)

I've managed to update successfully anyway :) thanks!

You could’ve used the online updater and it would’ve talked you through it all. 

Two things, have you loaded the v3 presets on after powering up in boot mode? You need to do this otherwise weirdness ensues. 

Make sure you perform a reset all or manually set the time base to 440 in the boot menu otherwise the tuner will be squiffy. 

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You could’ve used the online updater and it would’ve talked you through it all. 

Two things, have you loaded the v3 presets on after powering up in boot mode? You need to do this otherwise weirdness ensues. 

Make sure you perform a reset all or manually set the time base to 440 in the boot menu otherwise the tuner will be squiffy. 

I did not know about an online updater. It is mentioned very briefly next to the link but I figured it would be easier to just do it manually..

Yes I loaded the v3 presets 

I don't know what you mean by the last bit... How do I 'reset all' or set the time base??

36 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I did not know about an online updater. It is mentioned very briefly next to the link but I figured it would be easier to just do it manually..

I don't know what you mean by the last bit... How do I 'reset all' or set the time base??

It’s all in the manual. Reset is described in the QuickStart bit. 

38 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Online updater right there:

57242014-167A-4926-AE71-9B43C68047EE.jpeg

1 minute ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Oh all the values on my pedal are already set to 5 on everything, so perhaps this will not be necessary?

True but you either need to do the reset anyway or set the tune base manually (either is fine) or the tuner won’t work properly.

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Online updater right there:

57242014-167A-4926-AE71-9B43C68047EE.jpeg

Thanks, I know :) as i said "It is mentioned very briefly next to the link but I figured it would be easier to just do it manually.." 
It does not give any information as to what it is/how it works so it didn't even consider using it. 

Just now, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks, I know :) as i said "It is mentioned very briefly next to the link but I figured it would be easier to just do it manually.." 
It does not give any information as to what it is/how it works so it didn't even consider using it. 

That’s a link right there, you click on it and the browser app talks you through the entire process. It’s really good and easy. I’d suggest familiarising yourself with it for future updates. It’s pretty foolproof. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

True but you either need to do the reset anyway or set the tune base manually (either is fine) or the tuner won’t work properly.

Ok I'm attempting to do it now, powered up holding down Program,  selected rS, changed the 0 to 1 but the Quickstart guide doesn't explain what to do now (unless I am missing something)

5 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Ok I'm attempting to do it now, powered up holding down Program,  selected rS, changed the 0 to 1 but the Quickstart guide doesn't explain what to do now (unless I am missing something)

It does (or should). Turn the power off and on again. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

image.png.92c6d85b28889f5eca305b9e3fb7ea20.png
I have one last question (for now lol)...
How do you split a parameter like this? I see some patches shift pitch/resonance/LFO etc and I have a patch I'd like to apply to this too.. but can't seem to figure out how. 
I'm reading through the user manual now, but perhaps you might be able to help?

12 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

image.png.92c6d85b28889f5eca305b9e3fb7ea20.png
I have one last question (for now lol)...
How do you split a parameter like this? I see some patches shift pitch/resonance/LFO etc and I have a patch I'd like to apply to this too.. but can't seem to figure out how. 
I'm reading through the user manual now, but perhaps you might be able to help?

Read the description on flexi controllers. It’s all explained there far more clearly than I can type now. There’s an example at the end of that section which you can follow and all should be clear. 

Sorry I can’t be more helpful now, my young son is visiting from abroad and I haven’t seen him for months and he’s only here for the weekend. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

2 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

It kinda sucks that they changed how you scroll through patches, so when you're on 9, you go to 10 rather than going back to 1, which means you HAVE to double click program to scroll down.. Bit of a pain. 

I and many others find this a much better patch selection mode as it jumps straight to the patch rather than having to select the number and then engage it. It also means you can access all patches without having to bend down and operate the bank switch/dial.

You can switch the pedal back to the old program selection mode if you really want to. Read the section on the configuration parameters in the manual for how to do this.

Edited by Quatschmacher

I put some relevant portions of @Andras Szalay‘s original message in the first post into bold type (the part which clearly states that v1 users can update to the v3 firmware easily and for free) so hopefully that will avoid others not realising this. 

(Andras, it may be worth amending the FI v3 pages slightly (both product and downloads pages) on the website to really emphasise this point more clearly. I think most people realised this but it seems there are still users who weren’t aware of this.) 

Edited by Quatschmacher

5 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

You're right, you’re missing something. 🙂 It’s definitely right there in the instructions:

2C2C2023-9785-46A9-A261-1FA7B9073E16.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

It's massively improved with loads of new amazing features (but still can be used exactly as before). Have a read of the information in the first two posts of this thread. You should absolutely update to it! It's a free and relatively-easy firmware update for v1 owners.

So the FI v1 and the new v3 are identical except for the decal? Same tracking or is there a difference?

6 minutes ago, Qais said:

So the FI v1 and the new v3 are identical except for the decal? Same tracking or is there a difference?

They are physically identical (other than the decal), yes. Functionally, the v3 firmware is a huge improvement over v1 (including much improved tracking). There’s really no reason not to update your firmware. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

They are physically identical (other than the decal), yes. Functionally, the v3 firmware is a huge improvement over v1 (including much improved tracking). There’s really no reason not to update your firmware. 

Can the v3 unit make different sounds than the v1 unit assuming both units are on v3 firmware?

2 hours ago, Qais said:

Can the v3 unit make different sounds than the v1 unit assuming both units are on v3 firmware?

Your question sounds ambiguous so I’ll try to answer both interpretations 

Once a v1 pedal has been updated to v3 firmware, it is a v3 pedal in every respect (other than the decal) and hence capable of everything a v3 pedal is capable of.

The whole point of the update is that it allows you to create/load many new sounds that would be impossible to make using the old v1/v2 firmware. (In v3, you can still also use any sounds that were created on v1).

Read the first two posts in this thread and follow the links to learn about all the great new features/sounds and listen to the clips I’ve posted throughout the last 12 pages of this thread to get an idea of what’s possible. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

GREAT NEWS!

Copied from @Andras Szalay‘s recent TB post:

Dear FI users,
we have one good news for you: we released recently version 3.03 of the Future Impact v3 software. It came a bit late for a Christmas present, but anyway...
First of all, the bug that the FI had to be on MIDI channel 1 for using it with the editor is fixed now,  the FI can be set to any channel. A few new MIDI commands were implemented:
Program UP,
Tuner ON/OFF toggle,
Bank UP
Bank DOWN.

The manual was updated appropriately. Furthermore, a new version of the editor belongs to this release: beyond many minor bugfixes you can select different skins for the editor now. 

I hope you will enjoy the new release!

Andras Szalay
  • Like 1