Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

I've programmed a few sounds - the editor/architecture is pretty odd compared to most synths that I've used (log and lin levels for the filter output for example, and both must be above 0 to hear anything). It would be much more user friendly if the layout and architecture was a little more intuitive. Having said that, there's obviously a good variety of sounds that an be created, so I'm sticking with it.

One question: the note on and note off level settings are only accessible on the pedal itself, right? And they're global, which seems a bit limiting considering the quick start manual mentions that higher note off level settings are better for staccato lines. What if I have a patch for staccato lines and another patch for long sustained notes?

1 hour ago, reesource said:

I've programmed a few sounds - the editor/architecture is pretty odd compared to most synths that I've used (log and lin levels for the filter output for example, and both must be above 0 to hear anything). It would be much more user friendly if the layout and architecture was a little more intuitive. Having said that, there's obviously a good variety of sounds that an be created, so I'm sticking with it.

One question: the note on and note off level settings are only accessible on the pedal itself, right? And they're global, which seems a bit limiting considering the quick start manual mentions that higher note off level settings are better for staccato lines. What if I have a patch for staccato lines and another patch for long sustained notes?

The log output was added in this release as it gives a more natural sweep when assigned to a flexi.

I find the layout mostly intuitive and logical. The only part I struggled with was the distortion section which is why I got them to rename it and make sure the labelling all tallied up. I also explained it much more clearly explained in the manual than it was previously.

What synths have you used?

1 hour ago, reesource said:

To be honest, I’ve never had any problems playing both styles whilst leaving my settings as they are.

Actually, I wonder if there’s a case for these two parameters to be given their own MIDI CCs so that they could be changed remotely as part of preset selection on outboard gear. 

Managed to get my 2 II-V-I banks (open and close voicings) programmed on the MC8 now. In doing so I thought of a cool way to squeeze some more V shapes onto the buttons (sus and 13b9) so this is great news for MC6 users as they don’t have the extra buttons. I’m going to see if I can use this trick on the slash chord/triad inversions banks I programmed - I’m quite hopeful. 

On 20/12/2019 at 12:52, Quatschmacher said:

The log output was added in this release as it gives a more natural sweep when assigned to a flexi.

I find the layout mostly intuitive and logical. The only part I struggled with was the distortion section which is why I got them to rename it and make sure the labelling all tallied up. I also explained it much more clearly explained in the manual than it was previously.

What synths have you used?

Sorry, life is hectic and I'm not getting much of a chance to even think about replying!

Would it be worth replacing the 2 filter levels with a single level, and then being able to choose a lin or log curve on the flexi output?

I'm sure I'll get used to everything, but like I said, I've only really dipped a toe in so far. I'll hopefully have some time in January to properly explore it. 

I've used a lot of synths over the years, starting with Roland digital stuff in the 90s, up to soft synths like Massive, Pigments, Aalto, Bazille etc etc, and relatively standard analog synths like the Moog Voyager. And one of my jobs is programming keyboard sounds and backing tracks for touring artists. So it does surprise me when I can't just instinctively find my way around a new synth. If I think of anything that might make the whole thing more accessible or intuitive, I'll let you know, if you're interested of course!

On 20/12/2019 at 13:11, Quatschmacher said:

To be honest, I’ve never had any problems playing both styles whilst leaving my settings as they are.

Actually, I wonder if there’s a case for these two parameters to be given their own MIDI CCs so that they could be changed remotely as part of preset selection on outboard gear. 

That's good to know, but yes, it would make sense of they WERE accessible on a per-patch basis somehow. Ideally as part of the preset and programmable from the editor, but CCs would at least open that option up to those of you with fancy MIDI controllers 😉

34 minutes ago, reesource said:

Would it be worth replacing the 2 filter levels with a single level, and then being able to choose a lin or log curve on the flexi output?

You can already choose a log or lin curve (and several others) on the flexi but apparently this still doesn’t give the same result as having a dedicated lin and log curve on the filter output, hence why it was implemented like this. I did query it at the time, rest assured it is necessary that it be as it is now.  

I’ve got my slash chords bank up and running again and have improved it. I’ve now managed to get all three inversions onto each button via three different actions instead of on the expression pedal where I had it before and each is accessible from anywhere. This is better laid out on the MC8 as it looks more like a keyboard layout but it will work equally well on the MC6.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Qais said:

i have the v1, is it worth it to update to v3? sounds like besides improved tracking everything else is identical?

It's massively improved with loads of new amazing features (but still can be used exactly as before). Have a read of the information in the first two posts of this thread. You should absolutely update to it! It's a free and relatively-easy firmware update for v1 owners.

Edited by Quatschmacher

29 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I can't load your patches as theyre for the V3 and I'm on the V1, but there's a few patches like your Twinkles ones and I've not heard that effect before!

Aren't you planning to update your firmware to v3? The hardware is exactly the same so as long as you have a USB-to-MIDI connection (which I presume you have as you said you've been using the editor) then you can perform the update. What firmware version are you using at the moment?

The twinkles effect is only achievable in v3 anyway so I'd really urge you to update your firmware.

Edited by Quatschmacher

13 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Aren't you planning to update your firmware to v3? The hardware is exactly the same so as long as you have a USB-to-MIDI connection (which I presume you have as you said you've been using the editor) then you can perform the update. What firmware version are you using at the moment?

Oh I didn't know that! I'll update my firmware now then! I'm not sure what version I'm using currently, it's the newest non-v3 version I think though

6 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Oh I didn't know that! I'll update my firmware now then! I'm not sure what version I'm using currently, it's the newest non-v3 version I think though

Is the fact that it's a free update for v1 users not clear from the website or manual? If not I need to do something about that!

Yes, get on it! And report back!

Bonus late Christmas gift for you today then.

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Is the fact that it's a free update for v1 users not clear from the website or manual? If not I need to do something about that!

Well I recently visited the support page to get the default sounds (as I'd edited a lot of mine beyond the point of no-return) and saw:

"Future Impact v3

Bass/Guitar Synthesizer

Refresh your firmware to the latest version of 3.00"

Now because I have v1 not v3, I did not think this applied to me and so I scrolled down to the legacy files. I'm not experienced with firmware and it didn't cross my mind that it would be possible to update the v1 firmware to v3.
What exactly is the point of making a new pedal if the old one works with the new firmware?? Are there new components/effects/etc in the new model?

Also do you work for pandaMidi?! 

6 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Well I recently visited the support page to get the default sounds (as I'd edited a lot of mine beyond the point of no-return) and saw:

"Future Impact v3

Bass/Guitar Synthesizer

Refresh your firmware to the latest version of 3.00"

Now because I have v1 not v3, I did not think this applied to me and so I scrolled down to the legacy files. I'm not experienced with firmware and it didn't cross my mind that it would be possible to update the v1 firmware to v3.
What exactly is the point of making a new pedal if the old one works with the new firmware?? Are there new components/effects/etc in the new model?

Also do you work for pandaMidi?! 

Loads of new features, free to all owners. (I wonder how many others missed this as I did hear of one guy who sold his to buy the "new" one.)

Hardware is identical (other than the new decal).

I'm not employed by Panda but got involved in the v3 project as a volunteer bug tester/patch programmer but ended up being heavily involved with the design concept (lots of my ideas made it into the new firmware) and I wrote the new manual.

Edited by Quatschmacher

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Loads of new features, free to all owners. (I wonder how many others missed this as I did hear of one guy who sold his to buy the "new" one.)

Hardware is identical (other than the new decal).

I'm not employed by Panda but got involved in the v3 project as a volunteer bug tester/patch programmer but ended up being heavily involved with the design concept (lots of my ideas made it into the new firmware) and I wrote the manual.

Damn well I'm very glad you've told me this thanks a lot! I wouldn't have sold mine, but being able to update it is great :)

And that's really cool! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Also, the update instructions say to download the v3.00 Distribution Package, but there is no package on the support page, only the individual editor, firmware and preset download links. Not a huge issue, but thought I'd let you know.

That is true. Previously there used to be distribution packages with updates and that's why I worded it like that but they chose to list individual components instead. It certainly might be worth getting the web page tidied up (or change the wording in the manual).

I'm having a hard time understanding these instructions sorry.. 
It says to:

Launch your currently-installed version of the Editor;

So I use the V1 editor to update to V3 :S?

And also it keeps mentioning powering on:
"Power on the FI holding both footswitches to put it into update mode;"
"Reboot the FI to the boot menu by holding down PROGRAM while powering on."

So I need to disconnect the power supply and turn it back on again at these steps? :S

9 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I'm having a hard time understanding these instructions sorry.. 
It says to:

Launch your currently-installed version of the Editor;

So I use the V1 editor to update to V3 :S?

And also it keeps mentioning powering on:
"Power on the FI holding both footswitches to put it into update mode;"
"Reboot the FI to the boot menu by holding down PROGRAM while powering on."

So I need to disconnect the power supply and turn it back on again at these steps? :S

Ok never mind I managed to figure it out! 
It seems that you have to use the old editor to update the firmware, but then use the new one to write the v3 presets onto the pedal. This is not mentioned in the instructions, the only time the editor is mentioned is when it says to use the currently installed version (which implies the old one?)

I've managed to update successfully anyway :) thanks!

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4