Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

22 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Do you have to be connected to the Midi Out as well?

No, the counter is an internal thing. You set the upper and lower limit. Presumably when you switch the MC6 on it will start at the specified lower limit. Each subsequent press sends out a PC message either one higher or one lower than the current internal MC6 one (depending on whether you press scroll up or scroll down). So even if you have your FI set to start at a patch other than 1, the first button press of either of the MC6 PC scroll buttons will switch the FI to the correct patch and all will be in sync. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Here’s an example of it in use. Ignore the fact it says “Hub”; I modified a preset for this example. I actually have the FI program up and down on different (proprietary) CCs which allow the long press for fast scrolling. Currently the MC6 PC scroll function doesn’t do this but I have submitted it as a feature request; James seems pretty amenable to the MC6 feature requests I’ve submitted so far so let’s see how many make it into a subsequent firmware update. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yep, that’s why I pushed for this. 

That is correct. See my video demonstrating this in action several posts back. However, the MC6 works for changing patch up and down right now on v3.00 as it has a PC scroll up and PC scroll down function and last night I worked out how to get the MC6 to show the patch number in its display too!

It may look overspecced but it isn’t. I thought it’d be too much too but then it has opened up so many new possibilities. Want to be able to use expression pedal to control filter and then within the same patch, switch to using the pedal to control modulation? No problem. Want to do both simultaneously? No problem. Want to then switch to being able to control the synth volume while keeping the dry bass going? No problem. Want to use it to control LFO speed? No problem. Want to be able to play 4-note chordal synth pads behind your bass, no problem. 

You see where I’m going with this?😆

As you get got more into MIDI you’ll find cool solutions and new ideas of creative ways to use it.

There have been a few coming up second-hand and it is a transformative device. It unlocks all the potential inherent in the v3 update and I can’t recommend it highly enough.  

Oh, I have no doubt that I'd lose many hours of my life in a very enjoyable way if I were to delve deeper. I've built several MIDI/playback rigs for touring artists and if only I had the time and the musical outlet to be able to build an amazing system for myself, I would do it! Right now I need to keep things simple - the FI will simply be so that I can play synth bass lines in my function band so I really  don't want to let myself go down any rabbit holes, fun though they may be!

1 hour ago, reesource said:

Oh, I have no doubt that I'd lose many hours of my life in a very enjoyable way if I were to delve deeper. I've built several MIDI/playback rigs for touring artists and if only I had the time and the musical outlet to be able to build an amazing system for myself, I would do it! Right now I need to keep things simple - the FI will simply be so that I can play synth bass lines in my function band so I really  don't want to let myself go down any rabbit holes, fun though they may be!

I get the whole rabbit hole thing. To be honest, I’ve “lost” a couple of weeks trying stuff out but it’s good fun. I’ve definitely got enough to be keeping me busy for a good while.   

39 minutes ago, Higgie said:

This is great! But I wonder - is there a way for the MC6 to tell you which is the next/previous patch?

What do you mean? I don’t really understand your question. Please explain. 

The current patch can be displayed; the next one will be either one higher or one lower depending on whether you press up or down. 

Well the FI itself displays the current patch. Just wondered whether I could make switches on the mc6 display the next and previous patches that will be activated when I hit each switch. I know its kinda redundant as it only goes up in increments of 1, but just wondered if it was possible.

Just now, Higgie said:

Well the FI itself displays the current patch. Just wondered whether I could make switches on the mc6 display the next and previous patches that will be activated when I hit each switch. I know its kinda redundant as it only goes up in increments of 1, but just wondered if it was possible.

I don’t think it’s currently possible, you could email them and suggest it as a feature request though. 

20 minutes ago, reesource said:

Hmmm, I've fallen at the first hurdle... Just installed the v3.0.0 editor on my Mac (running Sierra 10.12.5) and it's just refusing to open - every time it starts opening, it quits unexpectedly. Any ideas before I spend time delving into it?

Clean off any old v2.2 install files first. See photo for free software to clean up old files:

BFF569DF-3673-48EF-9AEE-5C158DBEA5C8.png

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Higgie said:

I’d be all for it but it would mean totally rearranging my board. I’m not quite up to that level of stress 😂

I don’t have a board set up so no stress on my part (though I did just order £40 worth of MIDI cables yesterday, some of which now won’t be needed!

It's been a while since I added any patches as I've been really busy with other stuff (getting my head around the MC6 MKII and what it can do). Here's a token 1. It's one I showcased in a chordal clip earlier. I've adapted it here so that it is for single lines only but there are MIDI expression controls for LFO speed(CC3) and filter envelope attack time (CC4).

Patch is here on the database:

Here's a (not at all musical) clip:

Here is the more musical clip from before:
Edited by Quatschmacher

On 06/12/2019 at 12:58, Quatschmacher said:

@reesource, so did this fix your issue? Please let us know. 

All good - that free AppCleaner thing did the trick. It would be really helpful if the Panda website could include details of what needs to be deleted to eradicate the previous version (location of files in the user Application Support folder for example) because this would negate the need to download AppCleaner. 

Anyway, it all seems to be working - I haven't had a proper chance to get to grips with the editor but will do asap. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, reesource said:

All good - that free AppCleaner thing did the trick. It would be really helpful if the Panda website could include details of what needs to be deleted to eradicate the previous version (location of files in the user Application Support folder for example) because this would negate the need to download AppCleaner. 

Anyway, it all seems to be working - I haven't had a proper chance to get to grips with the editor but will do asap. 

@Andras Szalay

• 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, mingsta said:

I've just received my FI and it's exceeded my expectations for delivering those 80s pop synth bass sounds that I didn't think I'd ever achieve with a bass fx pedal. Thanks Mr Q for uploading all those patches to the site. 

The only fly in the ointment is that I've not been able to get great tracking, a fair bit of glitching and missed notes. I need to adapt my style a bit and practice how get the best out of it, but I'd like to think that I've got a pretty clean technique to start with. 

Has anyone got any tops about any setting to make? I've heard you need to get the input vol right so it's green on the whole and only goes red for really hard notes. I've also read from the manual to go for higher numbers on the two global note on and off levels, but it'd be good to hear ppls own experiences on what has worked best. 

Does the C4 track better? Hopefully I'll get to a happy place with the FI, but if not I might give it a shot! 

@mingsta

I’ve replied here as it makes sense to have this info here.

You absolutely need to make sure that notes in other strings are properly muted when playing. Octave leaps can be tricky when you’re playing in areas with strong harmonics (around 5th, 7th, 12th fret). You may need to play slightly more staccato than normal to get the requisite muting between notes right.

C4 tracks similarly though does have a switchable tracking mode for prioritising either speed or pitch accuracy. C4’s envelope and oscillator options are more limited though so there are a lot of sounds which are simply impossible to get (as were equally impossible on the FI prior to the v3 update to be fair).

All of those patches from the old talkbass files are v2 and could be much further improved now that the FI has full ADSR.

Edited by Quatschmacher

If you want outstanding tracking then the polyphonic Boss SY-1 easily outperforms here, and doesn't require you to change your playing style to something less natural.

It doesn't have the programmability of the FI or C4, however, although it does have 121 accessible settings. 

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4