Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

On 23/11/2019 at 13:04, Quatschmacher said:

What happens if you play your bass into it while it’s hooked up?

Make sure the pedal isn’t bypassed. That is, press the on/off switch.

The audio output of the pedal also obviously needs to be plugged in to an amplifier and switched on.

If you want it to play out of you computer speakers or headphones then you’ll need to take the audio output from the FI and send it to an input of your interface, making sure you listening to the input rather than the playback signal.

Also, if a patch has no synth portion, then the keyboard will have nothing to trigger.

On 23/11/2019 at 13:16, GisserD said:

Its a fairly common misconception that the editor is a plugin. It's not. 

It just changing parameters on the pedal. Therefore the pedal needs to be hooked up to an amp/headphones to hear anything.

Aha. Thanks chaps. Yes my misconception/assumption is that I am "playing" the editor (having loaded up a preset) - assumption based on thinking that the MIDI out from the pedal into the interface being some kind of signal path that would make its way back to the editor, or out of the interface headphone socket. (As I said I am 100% newbie at this kind of thing).

To be certain though - what should my settings be in the MIDI|Preferences dialog box?

Well I've just ordered a Future Impact v3 from pandaMidi. Looking forward to putting it through its paces, and hopefully I'll get on with the tracking a little better than I did with the v1. 

I don't mind the size of the pedal so I'm not sure I'll get one of those compact 3D-printed enclosures, but I might end up re-skinning the pedal somehow so it looks a little less "spacey". I wonder if I could make a vinyl overlay that would rest on top of the pedal, rather than needing to be stuck down... Has anyone ever tried anything like that?

• Like 1

I’ve managed to achieve it. It still needs some alterations I think to make it better. Sloppiness due to my expression pedal not always hitting 0% and 100% (where I have the inversions mapped); might need to get a different one. 

Buttons on MC6 toggle between major and minor chords in root position now - one button in the bank for each of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale. Expression 1 controls the inversion - heel down for 1st inversion, toe down for 2nd inversion. The drawback with this is that you always have to start with the chord in root position, which isn’t always desirable. The cool thing is that you can sweep through inversions though. Still needs some tweaking or another solution. I might see if I can combine my two implementations somehow. 
Edited by Quatschmacher

Quick question. We have a MIDI CC to scroll down through the presets, but I couldn't find any mention of something that scrolls up - I'm guessing it must be there as there is the onboard program up footswitch. Is there any way for this to be assignable to another controller? Would be a pain to scroll down on the MC6 and up on the FI itself. That and I've just bought a Super Compact enclosure so pretty soon my FI will be totally switchless!

Just now, Higgie said:

That and I've just bought a Super Compact enclosure so pretty soon my FI will be totally switchless!

Not true. The Super compact has the switches recessed into the side. So hand operation only.... but not switch less. 

Right, a quick question for you Future Impact owners... I know the operation of the footswitches has changed since v1, which is a very good thing. However I had 2 issues when I owned v1 - I kept stepping on that data knob which you're definitely not meant to stand on, and I found it difficult doing the double-press on the left switch to go down a patch.

The first issue is easily solved by leaving the pedal activated and using a line selector. I think I have a couple of options for the second issue:

1. Get a MIDI controller with 2 switches, one for patch down and one for patch up, and then I never actually step on the switches on the FI. Something like the Disaster Area DMC Micro: https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-micro 

2. Get a tiny MIDI controller with only 1 switch, set that for patch down, and then use the left footswitch on the FI for patch up. Something like the Disaster Area MIDI baby: https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/midi-baby

Can anybody see any problems with either of these approaches? I guess with option 1 I could also get the Super Compact enclosure to save space...

13 hours ago, Higgie said:

Quick question. We have a MIDI CC to scroll down through the presets, but I couldn't find any mention of something that scrolls up - I'm guessing it must be there as there is the onboard program up footswitch. Is there any way for this to be assignable to another controller? Would be a pain to scroll down on the MC6 and up on the FI itself. That and I've just bought a Super Compact enclosure so pretty soon my FI will be totally switchless!

It’s coming in 3.01. See the videos I posted earlier in this thread.

Also, I am working on FI-specific MC6 MKII banks (again see the soundcloud links earlier in this thread) which I’ll be making available when they are perfected. I’ve made banks for preset scrolling, bank scrolling, active/bypass, tuner on/off (another v3.01 feature) and a page for selecting which expression message gets assigned to the pedal.

I ordered a Bright Onion auxiliary switch yesterday and I intend to put page toggling and bank selection and a couple of other things on the external switches if possible to make things smoother. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, reesource said:

Right, a quick question for you Future Impact owners... I know the operation of the footswitches has changed since v1, which is a very good thing. However I had 2 issues when I owned v1 - I kept stepping on that data knob which you're definitely not meant to stand on, and I found it difficult doing the double-press on the left switch to go down a patch.

The first issue is easily solved by leaving the pedal activated and using a line selector. I think I have a couple of options for the second issue:

1. Get a MIDI controller with 2 switches, one for patch down and one for patch up, and then I never actually step on the switches on the FI. Something like the Disaster Area DMC Micro: https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-micro 

2. Get a tiny MIDI controller with only 1 switch, set that for patch down, and then use the left footswitch on the FI for patch up. Something like the Disaster Area MIDI baby: https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/midi-baby

Can anybody see any problems with either of these approaches? I guess with option 1 I could also get the Super Compact enclosure to save space...

The operation of the footswitches has not changed at all. There are two modes for footswitch operation, selectable via the boot menu, and there always have been. All that has changed is which one is the default setting.

Seriously, get a Morningstar MC6 MKII as it adds so much to the FI. See my posts above with soundclips of all the chordal stuff you can unlock. 

37 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s coming in 3.01. See the videos I posted earlier in this thread.

Also, I am working on FI-specific MC6 MKII banks (again see the soundcloud links earlier in this thread) which I’ll be making available when they are perfected. I’ve made banks for preset scrolling, bank scrolling, active/bypass, tuner on/off (another v3.01 feature) and a page for selecting which expression message gets assigned to the pedal.

I ordered a Bright Onion auxiliary switch yesterday and I intend to put page toggling and bank selection and a couple of other things on the external switches if possible to make things smoother. 

Thanks for the clarification! I’ll keep an eye out for the update!

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The operation of the footswitches has not changed at all. There are two modes for footswitch operation, selectable via the boot menu, and there always have been. All that has changed is which one is the default setting.

Seriously, get a Morningstar MC6 MKII as it adds so much to the FI. See my posts above with soundclips of all the chordal stuff you can unlock. 

Ah ok, I didn’t realise there were 2 modes before. Definitely a good idea to change the default to how it is now. 

Based on your answer to Higgie, I believe it’ll be possible to do what I’m suggesting (use external midi controller for patch up and patch down) but not till 3.01, right? Presumably right now I’d need the external controller to be intelligent (i.e. send out program change numbers rather than single CC messages for the FI to interpret)

The MC6 does look cool but it’s way overspecced for what I need to achieve. I just want to find the easiest way to navigate between patches and activate the pedal without stepping on the pedal itself. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, reesource said:

Definitely a good idea to change the default to how it is now. 

Yep, that’s why I pushed for this. 

Based on your answer to Higgie, I believe it’ll be possible to do what I’m suggesting (use external midi controller for patch up and patch down) but not till 3.01, right?

That is correct. See my video demonstrating this in action several posts back. However, the MC6 works for changing patch up and down right now on v3.00 as it has a PC scroll up and PC scroll down function and last night I worked out how to get the MC6 to show the patch number in its display too!

The MC6 does look cool but it’s way overspecced for what I need to achieve.

It may look overspecced but it isn’t. I thought it’d be too much too but then it has opened up so many new possibilities. Want to be able to use expression pedal to control filter and then within the same patch, switch to using the pedal to control modulation? No problem. Want to do both simultaneously? No problem. Want to then switch to being able to control the synth volume while keeping the dry bass going? No problem. Want to use it to control LFO speed? No problem. Want to be able to play 4-note chordal synth pads behind your bass, no problem. 

You see where I’m going with this?😆

As you get got more into MIDI you’ll find cool solutions and new ideas of creative ways to use it.

There have been a few coming up second-hand and it is a transformative device. It unlocks all the potential inherent in the v3 update and I can’t recommend it highly enough.  

Edited by Quatschmacher

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

That is correct. See my video demonstrating this in action several posts back. However, the MC6 works for changing patch up and down right now on v3.00 as it has a PC scroll up and PC scroll down function and last night I worked out how to get the MC6 to show the patch number in its display too!

Ooh! Now you’ve piqued my interest with the patch display on the MC6 - care to share with the rest of the class? 😛

15 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Ooh! Now you’ve piqued my interest with the patch display on the MC6 - care to share with the rest of the class? 😛

If you use PC Scroll as a message type and use slot 1, then type %E0 into one of the text boxes for that preset and the current patch will be displayed. (If you use slot 2 then you need to use %E1, and do on up the series.)

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Future Impact v3 and now V4