Why become a member? ×

3/4 length or full scale for child learner?

darkandrew

I have had my concerns about my son for a while but today he finally came out with it and announced that he wants to play guitar 😮 .  Not the wholesome 4 string or funky 5 string sort, no, he wants to play the other sort, the one with 6 strings!  So, having got over the initial shock (and I must be honest, disappointment) I'm now thinking that I should support him in his choice and am looking at possibly buying something for him for Christmas. He is a fairly small (ie. not the longest arms or biggest hands) 8 year old and so I'm not sure whether to consider a 3/4 length guitar to get him started or go straight in with a 24.75" Gibson type scale - my thinking is that while he might find the 3/4 length easier to play at first, he will have trouble transitioning to a full scale guitar later and would be better off learning on the full scale to begin with. What are your thoughts?

The worst thing you can do is lumber him with a guitar that's uncomfortable. So don't.

First off, get him a 3/4 size guitar then if he 'takes' give him a while then take him to a shop and try him on a parlour or 0 body with a 24.9" scale. When his arms get longer buy him an OM with a 25.4" scale. When he gets to full size buy him a D18 or a J45 and spend your dotage living off his songwriting earnings. One thing's for sure; don't let his first guitar be a 'Spanish' with a wide, flat board and nylon strings. That's what I started on and it was torture.

Don't worry about 'transitioning' from one size to another. Even if it's a problem (unlikely) you just cross that bridge once he's developed an abiding interest in the instrument.

Happy days to you both :)

• Like 1

Try him out with a number of different instruments of the type that have been suggested here.

That said, it has been my experience as a former guitar tutor of many years' experience that for an 8-year-old - most especially a small one - a full size guitar of any scale length is likely to prove wholly unsuitable on several counts; and in all honesty I would also respectfully suggest that a 3/4 instrument will most likely be barely any better.

IME most of the advice given in this type of thread is based (and I mean no disrespect in saying this) on a confusion between the question "What would I like to see him playing?" (or some broad equivalent) and the different question "What will best serve his current needs?" (I'm assuming from what you say that he's a complete beginner, but if not then I'm sure you'll correct me.)

To the OP: if you like I'll be happy to take you through the various considerations via PM. I mean no offence to other posters in saying this, but when trying to give professional advice on such matters, it can be a bit frustrating to allow everybody to have their say while having to compete with a wide range of 'If it was me...' responses.

I say this in all humility, but from a teaching standpoint, there is a right way (and a whole bunch of wrong ones) to do this.

It is not my intention to impose, so if this is not what you're after then please feel free to decline or ignore the offer.

19 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

a full size guitar of any scale length is likely to prove wholly unsuitable on several counts; and in all honesty I would also respectfully suggest that a 3/4 instrument will most likely be barely any better.

Half size? Quarter size? Is that a thing?

20 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

To the OP: if you like I'll be happy to take you through the various considerations via PM. I mean no offence to other posters in saying this, but when trying to give professional advice on such matters, it can be a bit frustrating to allow everybody to have their say while having to compete with a wide range of 'If it was me...' responses.

'Fess up! This is just you promoting your Play Guitar In A Month with Lefty course (includes book and flexi-disc). Well, it pains me to say I'm not wholly convinced by a synopsis which requires starting with a kazoo, moving on to harpsichord, learning how to read a compass, developing a fluency in Sanskrit and only then looking at a picture of a guitar for two days without a break.

Frankly, Bert Weedon would be spinning in his grave.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Half size? Quarter size? Is that a thing?

Broadly speaking yes, but there's a bit more to it. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but it's not meant to.

'Fess up! This is just you promoting your Play Guitar In A Month with Lefty course (includes book and flexi-disc). Well, it pains me to say I'm not wholly convinced by a synopsis which requires starting with a kazoo, moving on to harpsichord, learning how to read a compass, developing a fluency in Sanskrit and only then looking at a picture of a guitar for two days without a break.

My course contains no reference to learning Sanskrit. You clearly have an illegal pirated copy, and as such my solicitors, Messrs. Fleeceham and Grabbitt, will be in contact with you upon release from their current incarceration in due course.

Frankly, Bert Weedon would be spinning in his grave.

If only...

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Broadly speaking yes, but there's a bit more to it than that.

Well, go on then.

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but it's not meant to.

Not remotely patronising, old sport. Enigmatic? Yes. Veiled in mystery? Deffo. But not patronising.

I'm just struggling to imagine what could be so controversial, so divisive or so likely to occasion heated debate as to require PM's of a confidential nature. Does your approach require that the student embrace an exotic regime of physical exercise or become a devotee of the Goddess Bhuvaneshvari?

It'll all come out in the end so you might as well spill the beans.

• Like 1

I must admit, it's really frustrating when advice is given (or sought) by private message; it defeats one purpose of a forum - allowing those who lack the confidence to join to learn by reading other's thoughts.

And I must admit, I'm scratching my head about what the advice - although the choice between electric and acoustic is the most contentious; nylon strung really only suits if our embryo guitarists wants to follow a classical or flamenco path.

I do agree with taking them to a good music shop and letting them loose, to me music is one of the greatest gifts you can give children. I have a granddaughter  (12) who started out on bass this time last year, is now playing bass, 6 string and keys while getting her younger brother (11) started on keys and another grandson (10) who started out on accordion (FFS, oh the shame) and is now messing around with his oldest sister's 6 string while learning Tenor Uke. All the  grandkids play instruments but those 2 are pretty damn good whatever they pick up.

Edited by dave moffat
illitracy

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

It'll all come out in the end so you might as well spill the beans.

*Sigh*

I didn't really want to burden the main thread with this stuff, but if you insist (and in simple terms)...

The following (in no particular order) are - or at least should be - relevant on any decision about buying a guitar for a very young student:

1. How committed is the student (parental assessment)? This will dictate how much you might be willing to spend on a first instrument. Not to say that it won't change over time of course...

2. What style(s) of music (if any specific) do you think the student will want to learn (if known - not a given just 'cos it's come up on Basschat)? This will help you decide what type of instrument to consider. There are other issues that arise here, but do you really need to know at this stage?

3. Do you have any expectations as to what type of programme the student might be following? There's more I would want to ask the parent at this point (and suggest depending on his answers), but at this stage I'm not going to. No, really.

4. Do you have any expectations of where you would like the student to be in, say, a year's time? Not a problem if you don't, but it might affect what you have to spend out on another instrument further down the line (which you will need to do if they really take to it).

There are other questions I might want to ask, but you get the general idea. While I'm here, the questions are actually a bit interactive too.

Oh, and yes, I'm well aware many kids won't have much of a clue about any of this at that age, but I think it's important for the parent to try to get as much of a feel for what's best for their child as can reasonably be managed. It has a bearing on much more than what guitar to buy them.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

*Sigh*

I didn't really want to burden the main thread with this stuff, but if you insist (and in simple terms)...

The following (in no particular order) are relevant on any decision about buying a guitar for a very young student:

1. How committed is the student (parental assessment)? This will dictate how much you might be willing to spend on a first instrument. Not to say that it won't change over time of course...

2. What style(s) of music (if any specific) do you think the student will want to learn (if known - not a given just 'cos it's come up on Basschat)? This will help you decide what type of instrument to consider. There are other issues that arise here, but do you really need to know at this stage?

3. Do you have any expectations as to what type of programme the student might be following? There's more I would want to ask the parent at this point (and suggest depending on his answers), but at this stage I'm not going to. No, really.

4. Do you have any expectations of where you would like the student to be in, say, a year's time? Not a problem if you don't, but it might affect what you have to spend out on another instrument further down the line (which you will need to do if they really take to it).

There are other questions I might want to ask, but you get the general idea. While I'm here, the questions are actually a bit interactive too.

Oh, and yes, I'm well aware many kids won't have much of a clue about any of this at that age, but I think it's important for the parent to try to get as much of a feel for what's best for their child as can reasonably be managed. It has a bearing on much more than what guitar to buy them.

Those are constructive comments; I think anyone who comes across this thread in the future will find them useful.

• Thanks 1

My thinking when I bought for my grand-kids and myself was that the instruments I was buying at the time were fine to get started and that with time they would either chuck it in without much dosh wasted or in time upgrade to what suits best.

I now have developed Bass Aquisition Syndrome which is currently kept at bay by regular acquisitions of amps, pedals &etc. Its more a case of enabling them to learn, after that it's their journey even if we disagree.

My daughter started with a mini strat when she was about 6.  This was a great choice for her - she certainly couldn't have coped with anything bigger.   She learned to play Smoke On The Water with a cardboard box over her head to prove she wasn't looking at the frets with this very guitar.....She stuck with the Ministrat until she was 11, when she moved to Gibson scale length.  I can't imagine a smallish 8 year old having much fun with a full sized guitar.  I've seen Ministrats on gumtree for £60, so can't see any reason not to get something like that.  She's now using a Vintage Wolfgang copy, which is kind of a full sized guitar, but small all round.  Good choice for a smaller player if you can put up with the floyd rose.

14 minutes ago, converse320 said:

My daughter started with a mini strat when she was about 6.  This was a great choice for her - she certainly couldn't have coped with anything bigger.   She learned to play Smoke On The Water with a cardboard box over her head to prove she wasn't looking at the frets with this very guitar.....She stuck with the Ministrat until she was 11, when she moved to Gibson scale length.  I can't imagine a smallish 8 year old having much fun with a full sized guitar.  I've seen Ministrats on gumtree for £60, so can't see any reason not to get something like that.  She's now using a Vintage Wolfgang copy, which is kind of a full sized guitar, but small all round.  Good choice for a smaller player if you can put up with the floyd rose.

What if the boy decides he wants to go acoustic in a year or so? Or classical? (Transferring skills learned on a mini-electric guitar to an acoustic or classical is harder than doing it the other way round.) Or worse, decides he doesn't like it and decides to stop doing it? Who made the decision about choice of music for your daughter? Has she tried anything else?

Not saying you're wrong with your choice, but at this point we know nothing about the OP's son beyond him being 8, and small for his age. The assumption that he'll want to go electric rock from the get-go is a bit premature, don't you think?

If the OP says he does then that's fine of course, but it also depends on which way the OP wants to go as regards tuition. Does he want to teach the boy himself or hand him over (so to speak) to a professional tutor? A lot of professional tutors won't entertain electric tuition for an 8-year-old, especially if they work for a local education authority in schools. In fairness, this information is a bit outdated so things might have changed, but in all honesty I'd be surprised.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

What if the boy decides he wants to go acoustic in a year or so? Or classical? (Transferring skills learned on a mini-electric guitar to an acoustic or classical is harder than doing it the other way round.) Or worse, decides he doesn't like it and decides to stop doing it? Who made the decision about choice of music for your daughter? Has she tried anything else?

Not saying you're wrong with your choice, but at this point we know nothing about the OP's son beyond him being 8, and small for his age. The assumption that he'll want to go electric rock from the get-go is a bit premature, don't you think?

If the OP says he does then that's fine of course, but it also depends on which way the OP wants to go as regards tuition. Does he want to teach the boy himself or hand him over (so to speak) to a professional tutor? A lot of professional tutors won't entertain electric tuition for an 8-year-old, especially if they work for a local education authority in schools. In fairness, this information is a bit outdated so things might have changed, but in all honesty I'd be surprised.

I was really only commenting on size of instrument, rather than whether its electric/acoustic or whatever   On that question, I think its down to whatever motivates the child really.

My daughter heard electric guitar when she was about 5 and just said "I want to do that".  I've tried her on acoustic and she has zero interest.  She just likes electric guitar, and seems to have at least some natural ability.  Her tutor has her playing classical pieces on electric, so she's learning some of the skills, though I'm sure missing a lot as well.  But its hard enough to get children to play at all, so I'm pleased she's found something she's keen on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, converse320 said:

I was really only commenting on size of instrument, rather than whether its electric/acoustic or whatever   On that question, I think its down to whatever motivates the child really.

My daughter heard electric guitar when she was about 5 and just said "I want to do that".  I've tried her on acoustic and she has zero interest.  She just likes electric guitar, and seems to have at least some natural ability.  Her tutor has her playing classical pieces on electric, so she's learning some of the skills, though I'm sure missing a lot as well.  But its hard enough to get children to play at all, so I'm pleased she's found something she's keen on.

I may have overreacted a bit there. Sorry about that 9_9

It wasn't my intention to be critical - not at all. Just trying to make the point that every student is different.

• Like 2

The 3/4 sized Yamaha classical is very good and costs around £100. I bought one for my (then) 6 year old daughter. It was a little bit of a stretch for her, but not too oversized and she soon grew into even, so much so that she regularly plays the full sized classical we have at home.

If your son is having lessons through one of the school schemes, they may be able to hire you an instrument for a few terms, to give you an idea of what "feels" right. From what I've seen of my daughter's practice, the initial stages are more based around scales, arpeggios and melody based pieces, rather than full on chords, so the flat fingerboard may not be that much of an issue.

"The guitarists way" is a good introductory book and came recommended to me by the singist/guitarist in the band I'm in, who's also a full-time guitar teacher (although not my daughters, I wouldn't want to inflict that pain on him!!)

7 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

The following (in no particular order) are ...

So basically you're saying that a half-size steel-string acoustic is the way to go.

God, it's like pulling teeth 9_9

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 2