Why become a member? ×

Bands less than the sum of their parts?

odysseus

for the others under review - I have the same "meh" shrug around Audioslave, and again, a real shame because it's two of my favourite bands combined, and while the albums have the odd good song, I'd struggle to hum you any of them

Blind Faith & Cream - good and bad in parts.But any band that did Can't Find My Way Home or White Room gets a thumbs up from me

Sabbath with Dio - one of my all time favourite bands

The Firm - good shout.  I tried to love them, and actually quite like a lot of the second album (and Chris Slade's band still plays Radioactive in their set)...but no, somehow missing that spark that great bands have

My nomination for a disappointing super group is Murder Inc - Killing Joke meets RevCo/Ministry.  Amazing on paper...shows what you miss when you remove a BL like Jaz Coleman or Al Jourgensen

35 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'm going to say it quietly I quite like the Lulu album

Now, that does need some qualification.  I can't stand Lou Reed's vocals on it, they ruin it for me, so in fact I've only ever listened to it a couple of times, but I really like the music - IMHO some of the most interesting stuff that Metallica has done in a couple of decades.  It's a shame it got such poor reviews, and they went back to their standard insipid dullness on their next album

*grabs tin hat*

Was Lou Reed ever a singer, he used to just speak most of his tunes 👎

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'm going to say it quietly I quite like the Lulu album

Now, that does need some qualification.  I can't stand Lou Reed's vocals on it, they ruin it for me, so in fact I've only ever listened to it a couple of times, but I really like the music - IMHO some of the most interesting stuff that Metallica has done in a couple of decades.  It's a shame it got such poor reviews, and they went back to their standard insipid dullness on their next album

*grabs tin hat*

If you actually remove the vocals altogether (Hetfield and Reid), I actually think that it is one of the better mixed Metallica albums in terms of the balance between the instruments. The bass is audible and the kick drum and snare drum do not utterly dominate the mix to the point of making the album painful to listen to. Instead, it is the vocals, lyrics and general album concept that makes the album painful to listen to.