Why become a member? ×

Swapping a Jazz neck onto a P-bass?

radiophonic

If you've not removed a neck before, hold the neck tightly onto the body with your other hand when loosening the neck screws so the screw can't split open the screwhole due to the weight. Also do the same when attaching a neck. Other than that it *should* be a straight swap as long as the holes line up.

Check out the widths of each neck too....digital calliper readout would be the best and easiest way. I would (after taken off the strings) lie the bass face down on a thickish towel, now unscrew the neck screws with a screwdriver that fits the screw heads efficiently. Once out, lift the body away, maybe the neck is tight in the neck pocket so be careful. Check out the fit of the replacement neck then check screw holes. Hopefully they will line up okay before reversing this procedure. You may have to hold the neck and body upright with one hand while putting the screw in enough by hand before tightening them in (either upright or back on the towel).

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Slapbass Shaun said:

I am in the process of attaching a new 2019 mex jazz bass neck to a new(old stock) 2013 usa standard p body.After offering the neck upto body,the neck pocket is not tight.There is a little play but not much.Will this make any difference once assembled?

Thanks...

Any neck changeover can have problems and this is one of them. Yes you may find the neck ‘wanders’ ever so slightly. I can remember Fenders with oversized neck slots many years ago that had that slight movement in them. You don’t say if the replacement neck has existing screw holes and if it does, their alignment with the existing  body holes is of paramount importance as a mismatch may also pull the neck slightly out of true alignment. 

(If this neck is the ‘one’ that will always stay on the bass now, then perhaps investigating the bolt and neck screw insert system but....a lot more work!)

something like these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Guitar-Neck-Threaded-STEEL-INSERTS-STAINLESS-Oval-SCREWS-ALLEN-WRENCH/281226786661?hash=item417a6c3765:g:RRMAAOSwhvFZDLSD

Edited by mybass
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mybass said:

You don’t say if the replacement neck has existing screw holes and if it does, their alignment with the existing  body holes is of paramount importance as a mismatch may also pull the neck slightly out of true alignment.

This is the same neck.

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-bass-parts/necks/roasted-maple-precision-bass-neck-20-medium-jumbo-frets-9.5-maple-c-shape/0990802920.html

Fender claim this is a replacement neck for all std US,mex & squier bodies.Holes are predrilled.

Edited by Slapbass Shaun
  • Like 1

Why not look for a used Mex P/J? Decent instruments for not a lot of money. I have one (which is not for sale - I'm not trying to punt it), which I use as a standard gigging instrument when I don't want to take my old J bass out. P body, J neck, P/J pickups. Does the job very well.

• Like 1