Why become a member? ×

Mark bass 122 Cab

Paul C

Hi all. Having not bought any gear for decades I'm trying to get a cab that's easier to transport to gigs. Obvious choices are Barefaced and Markbass. I'm liking the idea of a 2x12 set up and the Markbass 212 caught my eyes as it's easier on the wallet than a Barefaced supertwin. All the Markbass demos I can find online are from Technical players with a jazzy or funk sound which is not my bag so wondering if anyone out there is using the Markbass in more of a rock/ post rock sounding band? We r a three piece and play with FX and over drive on the bass  lot. I tend to roll a lot of the mids and treble off using my brilliant, but extremely heavy, ashdown ABM 500 4/10 combo. I don't have any good music shops in Manchester these days to try things out and a trip to Brighton to GAK or Bfaced adds quite a bit of cost. Any advice/encouragement appreciated. Thanks

I used my Ninja 2X12 8ohm and MarkBass Marcus Miller 500 watt head yesterday at the SE Bassbash. (There’s is a MarkBass NY 2x12 4ohm cab version but that would limit you to a single cab per 4ohm amplifier )I play the ‘blues to rock to americana’  circuit and this cab is all I use now, even for a recentish U.K. tour of theatres it was enough, (provided  PA and monitors are good!) I like the lower end over 10” speakers and it’s also pretty portable. The Barefaced have a great sound too so......you need to check em out!

I had a Markbass 2x12, it wasn’t to my recall the NY version. It was however a very nice sounding cab, and very light/portable. I also noticed that you roll off the high end on your current set-up, well in my experience with Markbass cabs they have an in-built high end roll off so they should suit you very well.

Edited by Lozz196

I had the ny122 cab. Used in a similar genre to the one you describe.

Very clear and composed sound at volume, great mid-range, but I really disliked the treble response/ tweeter on it, far too 'clacky' for my liking (and it was supposed to be the superior one Markbass use!)

I play in a black sabbath covers band & run my Darkglass MT900 into a Markbass NY122 & couldn't be happier,it sounds fantastic with my P bass thumping through it,it is very loud too.

It's a very easy carry & I think it looks great now I've taken the tacky Markbass badge off.

I much prefer it to the Barefaced Big Baby 2 which I used to have,that was far too boomy/bassy for me but the NY122 has a very nice tight low end which really works perfectly,I couldn't be happier with it.

20191020_165410.jpg

Edited by artisan
  • Like 1

I tested my K1 next to a big Ampeg rig.  Considering the Ampeg had something like eight 10s and my K1 had the one twelve there was little difference in volume. The MB was way bassier to my ear too. I don't use distortion so couldn't match the Ampeg's natural drive but that was it. I'd be really surprised if two twelves don't do it for you.