Why become a member? ×

Any P bass people want to comment on this?

Swaffle88

2 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

My first thoughts exactly. That chap needs to have one of his colleagues play him something featuring James Jamerson, something featuring Larry Graham's early slap playing, and then either some late '60s Who or some Stranglers. Keep a camera handy in case his head explodes.

So, anything past 1970 then? 😁

• Haha 1

TBH I think they're trying to pay it a compliment but in a roundabout way that also leaves the door open for people to have reasons to buy a Jazz bass instead. I still agree that the bass can't do modern hi-fi slap sounds but it can definitely produce a sweet slap sound all of it's own. After that, I guess it comes down to the author's opinion of what 'full on', 'boomy' and 'grunt' mean. I've seen worse.

• Like 1

Boomy tone? Nope. Sounds like eq ignorance. One trick? Whatever. What it is - awesome and fits fantastically into a mix.
I've got 2 of em. One with flats, one with rounds. EMG GZR on both. Love em.
I can make em grunt, I can make em mellow out, tone control and hand position bring me all the variety I need from them.

I guess I have a thing for "one trick ponies" as all I play are Precisions and Stingrays lol.

Edited by mouthmw

1 hour ago, ped said:

It's almost like he's never Basschatted

It's like he's BassChatted but only ever skim-read the threads. As a result, the review lacks both heft and grunt. 

But let us not dwell upon the negatives for here is an opportunity for the forum to make some cash. BassChat should offer its services to retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers not only up and down the country but also on a global basis. I propose a two-tier programme:

i) Proof-reading of reviews and press-releases with the intention of weeding out solecisms, cliches and egregious bull-poop
ii) Regular industry seminars on 'How to Talk To Bass Players' emphasising - among other things - the importance of cheese puns

The proof-reading would come in at £250 a pop for UK companies and £500 for multinationals. The seminars would cost £1500 per delegate inclusive of accommodation (shared room in local Travel Lodge).

Supplementary payola deals whereby BC might shill worthless or sub-standard products would of course be both deniable and 'off the books' while running into the high four figures. Our integrity should never come cheap.

There's no reward in merely mocking these businesses. We need to monetise our scorn.

Let's slit them up like kippers.

arbroath_smokis.jpg?Width=300&Height=0

'Thanks BC!' says a musical instrument retailer 

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

An Open Letter To The Musical Equipment Industry

Honoured Sirs and Madams

The punning exchanges above are testament - were one required - to the pressing need to fully understand the mind of the Bass Player.

BassChat enjoys the respect and affection of literally thousands of middle-aged men whose response to a sales pitch will either be 'Fvck off and die, shop boy' or 'Just take my money'.

BassChat knows which buttons to press to elicit an almost Pavlovan response. You don't.

The choice is yours: get slagged off by our members or do a deal with us. No threat intended, obvs.

For more information contact:

Mr Pedro Ped
BassChat
The Caravan
C/O Burger King
Clifton Moor Retail Park 
York YO30 4XZ

Edited by skankdelvar
edit for change of address
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

An Open Letter To The Musical Equipment Industry

Honoured Sirs and Madams

The punning exchanges above are testament - were one needed - to the pressing need to fully understand the mind of the Bass Player.

BassChat enjoys the respect and affection of literally thousands of middle-aged men whose response to a sales pitch will either be 'Fvck off and die, shop boy' or 'Just take my money'.

BassChat knows which buttons to press to elicit an almost Pavlovan response. You don't.

The choice is yours: get slagged off by our members or do a deal with us. No threat intended, obvs.

For more information contact:

Mr Pedro Ped
BassChat
The Caravan
Morrisons Supermarket Car Park
York
YO31 7UJ

Actually the caravan is now round the side of Burger King taking up a grill space - I’m already eyeing up a nice little nook outside the empty Toys ‘R’ Us but any mail will still find me, I mean, out of all the caravans mine’s the only orange one!

• Like 1