Why become a member? ×

Any P bass people want to comment on this?

Swaffle88

I thought the P bass could be quite versatile, I’m thinking of buying one for my collection and this hasn’t changed my mind in anyway but I was wanting to hear from P owners what their  thoughts are on this? 😈

The quote is from https://www.andertons.co.uk/jazz-vs-precision-bass

“This is the bass you want for full-on power. The hum-cancelling split coil pickup provides a huge, full range tone that sits in a mix extremely well for a lot of styles of music. Saying that, it’s not really a versatile instrument. It does a good job for an old school, boomy sound but it doesn’t really cut it for super modern tones. It’s kind of a one-trick-pony, but it’s a great one nonetheless. Using a plectrum with this bass is ideal to get grunt out of the sound”

11 minutes ago, Swaffle88 said:

I thought the P bass could be quite versatile, I’m thinking of buying one for my collection and this hasn’t changed my mind in anyway but I was wanting to hear from P owners what their  thoughts are on this? 😈

“This is the bass you want for full-on power. The hum-cancelling split coil pickup provides a huge, full range tone that sits in a mix extremely well for a lot of styles of music. Saying that, it’s not really a versatile instrument. It does a good job for an old school, boomy sound but it doesn’t really cut it for super modern tones. It’s kind of a one-trick-pony, but it’s a great one nonetheless. Using a plectrum with this bass is ideal to get grunt out of the sound”

Hmm it’s certainly not a one trick pony!! Or it does many variations of its one trick 😂 Bloody love my hoard, I have 7 or 8. All with flats, some 60’s some I made myself and all completely different. 

• Like 1

Marketing mumbo jumbo. 

Just play one. If you like it, buy it. 

If a bass can be used for a lot of styles of music then it is a versatile instrument provided the player is also versatile.

it is a ‘one trick pony’ in the sense that it only has one pick up, so you can’t really get that back pickup on a Jazz bass sound. 

However a Precision can do a ‘modern sound’ with the right use of compression and EQ. So much ‘modern’ pop music is still recorded on a Precision. 

My Precision is more ‘old school’ sounding than my Jazz, but my Precision is forty years old and my Jazz is a Sadowsky, so it isn’t really a valid comparison to begin with. 

• Like 4

The Anderton's review reads like they've copy-pasted a sequence of posts from a slightly tedious BassChat thread:

What do we think about the Precision?

The hum-cancelling split coil pickup provides a huge, full range tone :)

Sits in a mix extremely well for a lot of styles of music

It does a good job for an old school, boomy sound

It’s not really a versatile instrument :(

+1

Doesn’t really cut it for super modern tones

It’s kind of a one-trick-pony, but it’s a great one nonetheless :i-m_so_happy:

Using a plectrum with this bass is ideal to get grunt out of the sound

Frankly, I think we should sue their tits off for plagiarism.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Odd to see a retailer actually under-selling something. What we all know: the P has done more hit records and more sessions than any other bass. And do they all sound the same??
If that's 'one trick', it's a very neat trick.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd call a P a "full-on power" sound. By what measure are they quantifying power? It's very open to the individual to interpret. 

Also, a P pickup in the traditional P position with a passive circuit won't do what's generally called the "modern" sound, but I doubt that has ever troubled a P bass owner. You pick the right tool for the job. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Swaffle88 said:

There is a reason others go for different styles of basses, but i cant imagine a genre that a P bass cant be used in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Absolute cobblers.

My first thoughts exactly. That chap needs to have one of his colleagues play him something featuring James Jamerson, something featuring Larry Graham's early slap playing, and then either some late '60s Who or some Stranglers. Keep a camera handy in case his head explodes.

• Like 1