Why become a member? ×

NCD - used bargain.

Painy

I picked up this mini-beast yesterday for what I think is a very decent price. It's an Ashdown ABM 48 mini. 4x8, 600w at 8Ohms and, despite its small size and from the weight, apparently constructed from the heart of a neutron star. 

Our lead guitarist recently took a power amp with a blown transformer in for repair with a local amp tech but the guy made a mess of it and then promptly folded his business. The guy offered our guitarist this cab as compensation for the damage and he has now sold it on to me for the measly sum of £60. 🙂

I'm going to use this in smaller venues where there either isn't space or access is difficult for me to use my ABM 610 cab.

I gave it a quick blast during last night's sound check and, while it obviously can't really compete with the 610, it's was a surprisingly loud and full but precise sound - certainly enough for on stage monitoring with PA support and probably enough on its own in the kind of smaller venues where I intend to use it. 

Great little cab and I'm now actually looking forward to the next time we play a tiny little pub with a stage area the same size as the pool table.

IMG_20191020_113611.jpg

• Like 2

I used to run a pair of these with an ABM-500 head.  Very loud and punchy but I had difficulty hearing myself when standing directly in front of them.  30 feet away was a different matter, they could slice cheese.

rig04.jpg.eca590d809aa2b3d39a58a50e2a6b422.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, obbm said:

I used to run a pair of these with an ABM-500 head.  Very loud and punchy but I had difficulty hearing myself when standing directly in front of them.  30 feet away was a different matter, they could slice cheese.

rig04.jpg.eca590d809aa2b3d39a58a50e2a6b422.jpg

Yeah, even stacked they'd still only be about waist high which never helps when you have to stand right in front of it. 

I'm planning to sit it on one of these to try and get it up a bit closer to ear level. 

IMG_20191020_190300.jpg

Yep, when I got my LB30 with custom 112 cab, I felt there was more to give and fortunately got hold of a 48, same frontal size as the 112. Ashdown kindly provided the grill cloth badge and beading to match the new 112, the rest is history. Fab cab indeed, I believe Mark Gooday has said 'the best cab they ever made'!

• Like 1