Why become a member? ×

Synth Repair UK

bassatnight

Hi All,

I am recently started going back to the analogue eighties and purchased a couple of old synths. Unfortunately an eBay punt for a 1985 Roland JX8P has slightly backfired, and despite assurances of no issues and complete working order this is not quite the case having taken delivery of the keyboard, apart from needing an overall service there is a slight issue with a couple of the key's sticking (possibly internal dust and grime?) - I'd rather not attempt an amateur repair.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable repair business, possibly based in the south? (one that doesn't hold on to them for months on end without actually working on them!)

Kind Regards,

Steve.

Probably, but they are as rare as hens teeth and I have been searching for a year for one, the price I paid wasn't too bad. I don't mind paying for a service and repair if required, just trying to find a reputable repair business that can return her to better days. 😉 

Synth Restore.
1st floor,
57 Harpur Street,
Bedford.
MK40 2SR.
United Kingdom

Email: [email protected]

I used this guy for a full overhaul and service of my JX3P I really cannot recommend him highly enough, he clearly knows all there is to know about these old synths and he has a genuine passion for them, I was considering buying a PGM200 programmer for it, he showed me how to go in and edit and create the sounds without the need for the programmer.

This guy was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again

Rog

• Like 1

If it's just sticky keys it's dead easy just be careful. Most synths of this age used two silver coated rails to determine notes using control voltage which is then sent to the oscillators. You can clean them easily with isopropyl alcohol or switch cleaner and gently rub with cotton buds. Put switch cleaner into knobs and faders as well and twiddle them back and fourth to stop dead spots and crackles. I build analog modules from schematics and these synths are tougher than you think.

• Like 1