Why become a member? ×

Lead free solder...

Because that's what you told them?

From their Terms & Conditions of Sale:

---x---

1.5 RS is a business-to-business supplier. The RS website is intended for use by business customers and not by private individuals acting as consumers (“Consumers”). 

---x---

Edited by barkin

56 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Anyone that dealt direct  with RS used to be regarded as a professional user

😎

Ah, RS Components. When I was an office equipment engineer, I used to love trawling through the new RS catalogues when they came in.

On 20/10/2019 at 21:22, itu said:

And the fumes are...? Flux, i.e. resin/rosin. It is true, you do not have to inhale it. The similar resins are there in the lead-free, too.

Melting point of lead (Pb) is around 330 degree Celsius and boiling point over 1700 Celsius. If you are able to boil the tin with your iron, I would love to know the model, as I want similar.

Lead-tin solder can give off lead fumes at 450C, just as warm water can mist a mirror at well below 100C.

A big non-temperature controlled iron might reach 450C. Also if you solder using a naked flame (I do, it's not just useful for electrics) you will almost certainly go over 450C.

I use leaded solder, but have a fume extractor I use if doing a lot (chiefly for the rosin fumes - I have some non-rosin chlorine free solder and it's not as good as rosin cored).

• Like 1

Every material gives matter to the air at the atomic level in nearly all temperatures. Like was the problem with 1 kg standard weight (in Paris, n'est-ce pas?). Sure, all amounts do mean a lot with a material like lead. A small fan is just so comfortable with any fumes, be it resin/rosin or metals.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, itu said:

Every material gives matter to the air at the atomic level in nearly all temperatures. Like was the problem with 1 kg standard weight (in Paris, n'est-ce pas?). Sure, all amounts do mean a lot with a material like lead. A small fan is just so comfortable with any fumes, be it resin/rosin or metals.

I 3D printed a housing for a computer fan, which holds a couple of squares of cooker-hood carbon filter and runs off a wall wart.

34146888_Chapter14(21).thumb.JPG.7f8eb8be7efe7852ac127f7b064ad09d.JPG

Chapter 14 (20).JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, barkin said:

Because that's what you told them?

From their Terms & Conditions of Sale:

---x---

1.5 RS is a business-to-business supplier. The RS website is intended for use by business customers and not by private individuals acting as consumers (“Consumers”). 

---x---

Wow, you're really into your small print.