Why become a member? ×

Lead free solder...

Today I've been using some 60/40 I bought from Clas Ohlson a while ago to wire up a jazz bass and I quite enjoyed it  - in stark contrast to the frustrating time I had the last time I had some soldering to do and managed to make a total mess of my attempt to put together a P bass harness with lead free.

5 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

And most places, including RS. I don't think it is llegal for small scale & repair work?  But cannot be used in consumer electronics or volume manufacturing anymore.

Yes, Weller (manufacturer of good soldering irons) do 0.25kg rolls of 60% tin, 39% lead, 1% copper solder which will last you ages if it's just for occasional home use.

The solder for copper plumbing and the like doesn't contain lead anymore, for obvious reasons. 

5 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

I don't think it is illegal for small scale & repair work?  But cannot be used in consumer electronics or volume manufacturing anymore.

Actually it has been prohibited to sell solder that contains lead to consumers since few years. But there are applications (like military etc.) where lead solder is still fine. So it will be available, and you may be lucky to be able to buy it. 500 - 1000 g will last for ages...

There is silver tin, too. It contains around 1 - 2 % of silver and has better corrosion resistance, than basic 60/40 or eutectic 63/37.

Yes, I hate lead-free solders, except tin for stainless steel. I think it is basically pure tin and some special flux.

19 hours ago, itu said:

Actually it has been prohibited to sell solder that contains lead to consumers since few years.

Have you got any sources for that? I'm sure I've seen this debate before and can't remember it ever coming to that conclusion.

Re: the OP, yeah lead free is carp.

Edited by BassThing

13 hours ago, Bolo said:

Yay lead fumes!

Lead free is fine for me.

And the fumes are...? Flux, i.e. resin/rosin. It is true, you do not have to inhale it. The similar resins are there in the lead-free, too.

Melting point of lead (Pb) is around 330 degree Celsius and boiling point over 1700 Celsius. If you are able to boil the tin with your iron, I would love to know the model, as I want similar.

On 18/10/2019 at 23:58, itu said:

Actually it has been prohibited to sell solder that contains lead to consumers since few years. But there are applications (like military etc.) where lead solder is still fine. So it will be available, and you may be lucky to be able to buy it. 500 - 1000 g will last for ages...

There is silver tin, too. It contains around 1 - 2 % of silver and has better corrosion resistance, than basic 60/40 or eutectic 63/37.

Yes, I hate lead-free solders, except tin for stainless steel. I think it is basically pure tin and some special flux.

If that is the case then I am astounded that RS still sell it. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/2954820/