Why become a member? ×

No love for the L2000?

bloke_zero

Another G&L fan here! I've had the USA L2500 for a good few years and love it.

I guess compared to Fender / EBMM and other brands they don't do that much in terms of marketing.

I mean their website's (relatively-speaking) a bit amateur and their multiple Instagram accounts probably isn't too helpful - but there's something endearing about that as you can see that they care more about the instruments and their legacy.

But it doesn't help their resale value as unless you're a Basschatter - or stumbled across Andertons' recent videos - or some of Ed Friedland's old Bass Whisperer reviews, you probably haven't heard of them.

Really glad Andertons have picked them up though and hopefully continue to get more publicity. Theyy did a great Factory tour blog a few months ago where they looked through Leo's old stuff and put together one of his final designs:

Dont remember whether the L2000 eq controls are boost/cut from the middle position of the pots or just boost only, but I always run the bass eq at 70% and slowly add the treble from fully rolled off until the desired tone is dialed in - usually only about 10 to 20%.

13 minutes ago, Paddy515 said:

Dont remember whether the L2000 eq controls are boost/cut from the middle position of the pots or just boost only, but I always run the bass eq at 70% and slowly add the treble from fully rolled off until the desired tone is dialed in - usually only about 10 to 20%.

I think they're cut only from wide open

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Yeah that’s about right in a nutshell, but I didn’t really gel with the stock sound anyways. For what ever stuff pedals etc I was using in my chain I felt it lacked subtly to tone shape because it was a bit more brash overall. Personally I think Leo was compensating for his overall and high end hearing loss when winding these pick ups to our back what he couldn’t hear, but if you don’t suffer that, it makes it too much . The L1500 really was fingernails on a blackboard 

Essentially, craftsmanship great, pick ups and electronics not my bag and lack of ability to easily change the pick ups.

Thats my view, I really wanted to keep my ASAT’s which are the same circuit as they were beautiful

Interestingly on my 1982 (passive)  L1000 the circuit works great, the fact you have more bottom and top, but can dial it back with the passive eq means you can get all sort of lovely tones out of it. 
Stupid hot signal though, good for clipping the input of the desk you're going into! :D  

The electronics are what intitally attracted me to the bass - having that parallel/series switch as stock plus the other options had me wigging out in the shop.  When I got it into practice sessions that tonal range really helped going from sort of no wave to dub (i.e. bright bridge parallel to neck series) without evenin touching the eq.

That said, I think the passive EQ is good.  When I tried replicating the circuit on a passive bass I was building I noticed the resistor/cap values had a massive effect on where and how much they hit the frequency range, I'd guess (but don't know) that the output from the pickups similarly effects the whole circuit.  As far as I know all passive tone circuits are cut. I think the point about adding a cap and changing R7 makes sense - there is a long thread on talk bass discussing just that - if I had a bit more time to fiddle about and wasn't worried about stock vs modded I'd try some stuff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

As far as I know all passive tone circuits are cut. I think the point about adding a cap and changing R7 makes sense - there is a long thread on talk bass discussing just that - if I had a bit more time to fiddle about and wasn't worried about stock vs modded I'd try some stuff.

The problem is, if you are talking about the L2000 circuit, R7 is the part that controls the high frequency boost option, whcih is purely on active.

For me, the bass it too hot anyway, and needs taking down a peg or two, but before the active section, as you don't want the volume level of the active and passive to be different.