Why become a member? ×

No love for the L2000?

bloke_zero

Full disclosure: I'm trying to sell one (here and on Reverb).

I put my VGC USA G&L L2000, Y2K bass up for sale on Reverb and got 1 watcher!

I was thinking I'd at least get some interest.  I was wondering is it that there are no big name players? Or the Tribute series too good?  Or just generally unknown and uninteresting? 

To me they are great sounding basses, and with the MFD + passive tone controls really capable: like the final flower of Leo's bass journey.  But I'm feeling like I might be alone in that!

I had my 1980's L2000 on here and other various places for months - eventually traded it for a USA P bass so not a bad deal but yeah, not massive amounts of interest.

Think they are very well thought of but just don't seem to be easy to shift. I think people think the pickups are a bit brash but as you said, the tone controls can easily reign them in. Best of luck with your sale!

• Thanks 1

Great basses L2000s. Had a couple of tributes myself and they were really good instruments.

Selling anything is always a matter of price. If it’s priced 3/4 or even 2/3 of the price of a new one, you’re  only going to get interest from people who want that specific bass (in that specific colour). When the price gets down to around 50% of a new one you’ll get people who were thinking about a different bass interested as it’s a bargain :)  Opening up far more buyers and the element of “I’d better buy that before someone else does”.

Depends how quickly you need to sell it :) 

From a shape perspective, while I'm more a Thunderbird kind of bloke over basses of a generic Jazz/Precision design, the biggest sticking point for me is that Mk2 headstock design.  Doesn't matter how good the bass is, I couldn't get past a bass with a headstock that looked like a dog had chewed it.  It's a deal-breaker.  Just like Sandbergs.

• Like 1

I've had two L-2000 Tributes and sold both. Always thought they were great at the time, but suffered with the 'they aren't really popular' feeling. Also the L-2000 electronics never really made much sense to me, generally used it passive in parallel settings.

26 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

the biggest sticking point for me is that Mk2 headstock design.  Doesn't matter how good the bass is, I couldn't get past a bass with a headstock that looked like a dog had chewed it.

Headstocks are such a personal thing anyway, they really can kill a design. I much prefer the G&L one to the fender on, which I have never liked, and some of the big square gibson ones (which look ok on guitars and absolutely terrible on 5 strings).

I have an L2500 tribute, it is a good bass, never my first choice as it is a bit too fender for me but everytime I have looked at selling it, something has stopped me. At least it stops me wanting a fender.

I think G&L have always been a bit obscure and niche, possibly from lack of big-name players as you suggest, and less marketing than the big names. I believe they were difficult to get hold of in the UK for a while with distributor problems. It will be intersesting to see how they fare now with being exclusively sold by Andertons (and 2 other shops I think).

There's always comments and views about them being 'the authentic/true (Leo)Fenders' versus 'not a proper Fender(Musical Inst Corp)'. I think there is plenty of room for both to exist alongside each other. The other thing that seems to put people off is the teat on the headstock; it's not something that I really notice but each to their own (not all of the Leo-era instruments had this actually).

The 3-bolt tilt neck may still be seen by some as a point against them, this is from association with Fender's poor implementation of this in the 70's - it was actually Fender's poor workmanship and construction that was the problem, not the 3-bolt neck per se. G&L's used 3-bolts until 1996 with no problem, only changing because of the hangover from the poor 70's Fenders. Look at the classic model that @Jadenacre has advertised, 30+ years old, still great.

For those who do take to them, they are great instruments and very good value. I have 2 from Leo's era, a 1987 ASAT and an 1987 SC-3 (marketed at the time as a student or beginner guitar, it has a beautiful ebony fretboard - imagine that now). I also have a 92 Legacy, this still has a lot of the features from the Leo era but over the years, BBE (the new owners) standardised the production and removed some of the little touches and quirks, although making a consistent and still very good product. e.g. the bass that @bloke_zero is selling will have a hand-shaped neck which is a nice feature, the necks became all machine made from about 2005.

All this plus a slow market, as @White Cloud said, can make them a hard sell. The other side of this is that there can be some good bargains.

That went on a bit...apologies for the ramble, you can probably tell that I'm a G&L fan.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

The heavy weight of the Tributes is the deal breaker for me. 

Speaking as a complete wuss when it comes to weight, the tribute isn't heavy? Its heavier than a Squier CV P and an Ibanez 1605, but loads lighter than a SR5005 and a thunderbird. 

I love my G&Ls.

I had a mint M2000 tribute. Gorgeous and an amazing sound. It sold for about £300.

I also have a sb2 tribute I bought for £50 in bits, and love it.

And a owned from new l100 tribute. Utterly brilliant bass in every way.

I'm just a G&L man from now on. Unbeatable value.

I think they only struggle as not many shops stock them for people to try.

Good luck with the sale.

G&L the great bargain if you like them and keep them.  I have two, one since about 1990 when they were a rarity, it was unknown and it was just as well built as a Fender I had owned previously. It is a great bass, every bit as good as a P bass.  Bit of a mixed bag on resale though.

Never tried an L2000 or any of the similar humbucker type models (I’m a bit unsure about the model numbers and types) but all I know is that after trying and having different P basses, nothing can touch this early SB1 - I don’t know how much they were new but like said above it’s fantastic build quality, the three bolt neck is great and the electronics and hardware really make it a sensible upgrade over the Fender Precision which is what I suppose it was intended to be. It’s basically the same but just a little more refined and it feels lovely. 

I do agree that the new headstock shame is a little jarring and I think it’s right that they are quite rare basses considering - even in the US they aren’t that common but sought out by those ‘in the know’, so there are some bargains for sure. The best type of bargain - because you’re not paying for hype!

• Like 1

When the Manchester/Great British Bass Lounge was in north Manchester and Drew stocked quite a few US G&Ls, I got to try out a number of them, with other makes and I never came away with a G&L.  And I bought a lot of gear from Drew.  For me, they never stood out enough to make me want one.  No doubt, they are very good quality basses.  I never liked the headstock much but that wouldn't have been enough to put me off.  I really took a fancy to the G&L bass with a Telecaster body but I didn't like the way it balanced on a strap.  

Good luck with the sale, I'm sure with a little perseverance, someone will snap it up and be glad they did.

On 18/10/2019 at 13:18, Machines said:

I've had two L-2000 Tributes and sold both. Always thought they were great at the time, but suffered with the 'they aren't really popular' feeling. Also the L-2000 electronics never really made much sense to me, generally used it passive in parallel settings.

Yeah, I almost never turn on the active as the mfd’s are so loud anyway. Parallel is always my favourite on a bass.

I put some chromes on mine and the brashness went away. I guess I’ll hang on to it - thanks for all the thoughtful comments!

So what in the electronics do people have a problem with? Unless there is something very wrong with your equipment it shouldnt' be able to tell the difference between the preamp being on or off (unless it is in treble boost), there should certainly not be a volume boost unless you have poor cables. It is just a buffer (it doesn't even have tone shaping options).

I am genuinely puzzled what problem it causes for people

Edited by Woodinblack

I've owned USA G&L basses, as well as a tribute. Both sounded and played equally great. Those tributes are a good value, especially when looking at the low prices in the used market. Mine was pretty light too. 

The sounds of these basses are huge, and I think they have a nice flavour to them. I didn't like it too much in the band or for recordings though (for some reason it didn't sound personal enough for me... Not really sure what I mean) ... My Gibsons (ripper, g3) and music Man Sabre fit a lot better. 

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So what in the electronics do people have a problem with? Unless there is something very wrong with your equipment it shouldnt' be able to tell the difference between the preamp being on or off (unless it is in treble boost), there should certainly not be a volume boost unless you have poor cables. It is just a buffer (it doesn't even have tone shaping options).

I am genuinely puzzled what problem it causes for people

For me it’s was the power of the signal hitting anything else you use made it difficult to switch between basses without big changes in any dials as well as the pre amp settings which by default nod towards treble harsh, which you can of course dial down, but goes back to the problem for me of changing basses and settings etc.

Well made basses, but in not having regular sized pick ups, taking an excellently made bass and modding it then becomes an issue.

I always have felt that if you are someone that is Bass to amp and nowt else - these are great basses. Now with things like the Stomp or a Helix where you can set up a separate patch for each bass it makes it more viable

For me, these issues as well as a wealth of options which can be modded one the same price range make it less popular 

Really not sure what you are saying, or how that affects active basses? One of the problems with the L2000 is that the output is way above almost everything else, but that is no different with active on or off, it's just too hot, which makes switching basses tricky (which I think is what you are saying). I often thought about putting an attenuator in it to reduce that.

Yeah that’s about right in a nutshell, but I didn’t really gel with the stock sound anyways. For what ever stuff pedals etc I was using in my chain I felt it lacked subtly to tone shape because it was a bit more brash overall. Personally I think Leo was compensating for his overall and high end hearing loss when winding these pick ups to our back what he couldn’t hear, but if you don’t suffer that, it makes it too much . The L1500 really was fingernails on a blackboard 

Essentially, craftsmanship great, pick ups and electronics not my bag and lack of ability to easily change the pick ups.

Thats my view, I really wanted to keep my ASAT’s which are the same circuit as they were beautiful

I’ve owned a pair of USA L2Ks, a couple of Tributes and a pair of Asat basses. I genuinely liked owning all of them though for various reasons they were swapped/sold. I am planning on acquiring another at some stage as I like the versatility of the pickups/pre-amp.

Also had an L-1500 too around ten years ago. Could not get on with that bass at the time. Now my hearing’s dulled, I would likely appreciate it more🙂

• Haha 1