Why become a member? ×

Help me understand...

grapevinebass

6 hours ago, mikel said:

I can understand people being in love with an instrument they have played for years and bears the scars of heavy use, as its your use and your dings and wear. 

Think Willie Nelson and his Martin guitar.....

Can we ban the “I don’t get relics” threads?

They come up every 2 months and in every case the OP thinks they are making an original point when in fact it’s the exactly same point.

i am yearning for a “I don’t get neon colours” thread just for a change!

because that’s all it is. It’s just a different finish option that takes more time and so costs more money.

Nobody flips through a catalogue and stops to write a thread about graphic finishes or neons, or even pooburst. 

There is nothing to “understand.” Some like it, some don’t.

I don’t understand baked beans. I might do a thread.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

They come up every 2 months and in every case the OP thinks they are making an original point when in fact it’s the exactly same point.

Welcome to a single subject based forum, where every thread comes up every two months.

the easiest way to deal with that is to ignore them and go to a recurring thread you are interested in. 

there are always going to be people who don't understand why people like things they don't and they are always going to go this way, as they are just taste and matters of opinion (well, apart from tortoiseshell pickgaurds of course)

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

What you have to appreciate is there are new members who might not have seen the offending post. Then there are people like me who have been a member for a while but have not been on for a while for whatever reason. So when I see a new person asking which string to use, I will still give my opinion, not moan that this has been asked so many times. I think some folks need to chill and realise that some subjects are new to others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ubit said:

What you have to appreciate is there are new members who might not have seen the offending post. Then there are people like me who have been a member for a while but have not been on for a while for whatever reason. So when I see a new person asking which string to use, I will still give my opinion, not moan that this has been asked so many times. I think some folks need to chill and realise that some subjects are new to others.

Make it a pinned post then so it can all go in one place.

7 hours ago, ubit said:

Fine when it's a post asking for advice. Not fine when it's a post that is essentially just criticising other people's choices..........again.  

11 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Fine when it's a post asking for advice. Not fine when it's a post that is essentially just criticising other people's choices..........again.  

As I said, the op. is a new member. Or at least hasn't posted much, so his point might seem original. He asked why people relic guitars? Which is a valid question to someone who hasn't heard it before. Just because you are sick of it, don't criticise others if they don't know that the subject has been talked about many times before.

I see posts about what strings to use come up a lot but I don't moan about it. I can read new comments about the subject or, even better, I can scroll past.

4 hours ago, ubit said:

As I said, the op. is a new member. Or at least hasn't posted much, so his point might seem original. He asked why people relic guitars? Which is a valid question to someone who hasn't heard it before. Just because you are sick of it, don't criticise others if they don't know that the subject has been talked about many times before.

I see posts about what strings to use come up a lot but I don't moan about it. I can read new comments about the subject or, even better, I can scroll past.

Actually the way in which he asked wasn't just a polite question. He was using terms like "thrown down stairs" and "mutilated " so it was clearly just poorly veiled criticism of other people personal choices. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Actually the way in which he asked wasn't just a polite question. He was using terms like "thrown down stairs" and "mutilated " so it was clearly just poorly veiled criticism of other people personal choices. 

And where would a forum be without criticism? I don't think you could honestly disagree with the description of some of the current examples of relicing.

On 21/10/2019 at 05:31, ubit said:

So some kind of crazy, “forum search” antics needs to happen more often?