Why become a member? ×

Help me understand...

grapevinebass

3 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Wow. I gig regularly in rowdy pubs where beer gets spilt and mic stands get knocked etc, but I’ve never had anyone grab my bass by the neck. I’d be grabbing them by the neck if anyone ever did that...

I certainly had harsh words. Our guitarist had a guy by the throat that sat his pint on our mixing desk!

• Like 1

Pretty much all my basses bar 1 are relic, fake or natural I’m not bothered as long as it plays beautifully. Totally get that it’s a marmite thing and absolutely no right answer. But they are cool in my eyes. This is my latest addition, cool AF 😍

68901D70-6C80-44F5-9D70-48BC77763782.png

38845EE1-32AE-434E-8CE1-4920FC2175F6.png

Edited by walshy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

You think that is bad? I really don't understand why someone takes a perfectly fine bass and sticks a tortoiseshell pickguard on it? I mean that is completely crazy.

There are some sick people in the world.

+1 on that .... and raise you tobacco burst basses 😂

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You think that is bad? I really don't understand why someone takes a perfectly fine bass and sticks a tortoiseshell pickguard on it? I mean that is completely crazy.

There are some sick people in the world.

14 minutes ago, bassfan said:

+1 on that .... and raise you tobacco burst basses 😂

Ha, so my beloved relic'd Sandberg is the sum of all these hates.

Any thoughts on Maple Necks, or Maple Necks with Tort pick guards, or oversized pole pickups ???😂

20190908_180116.thumb.jpg.ca1d21b7522c1552d71d3bbf00089589.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, grapevinebass said:

I see an interesting looking bass on the For Sale Forum, so click to look at it.  But someone has thrown it downstairs, or skimmed it across a gravel drive. What it's meant to look that way? You mean someone took a nice new bass and beat it up, taking chunks out of the lacquer.

Why would someone do this, indeed why would anyone pay to have this done to a bass guitar?

Beyond my understanding. 

Then it gets advertised as 'in good condition'. No - its been mutilated!

Haha - no different to someone getting cosmetic surgery...

image.jpeg.775cff07d07af68d377b1fbe48cb1beb.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, PJ-Bassist said:

Any thoughts on Maple Necks, or Maple Necks with Tort pick guards, or oversized pole pickups ???😂

Love a maple neck. 

just tobacco burst I’m allergic to... love other peoples though. 😁

Love the roadworn look, me.
Actually, as I'm an organ player by education, I tried to find me a nice 3-manual, 65-stop, road worn pipe organ, but sadly couldn't find one.

To this day I can't understand the weird, prejudiced looks I got in every pipe organ builder's office.
Sigh...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Shame. That must've been a good-looking bass before some twonk repeatedly reversed a bus over it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I'm so glad you posted that picture. I've had this pickup knocking about at home and now I can see it's a Delano musicman style. 

20191018_201223.jpg.c31e273a88a9961d2a0ee8f2027856ba.jpg

😉

• Haha 2

It's simple economics surely and a pointless debate. Like relic basses or not, if there wasn't demand then manufacturers wouldn't be making them. Clearly some people like them and some people don't. Life would be pretty dull if we all conformed to liking just one thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

It's simple economics surely and a pointless debate. Like relic basses or not, if there wasn't demand then manufacturers wouldn't be making them. Clearly some people like them and some people don't. Life would be pretty dull if we all conformed to liking just one thing.

Yes, we're all individuals. 

life-of-brian.thumb.jpg.169ec4d84ca2f533964f576ca93bf130.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 3

I can understand people being in love with an instrument they have played for years and bears the scars of heavy use, as its your use and your dings and wear. But to buy a falsely worn brand new instrument as it looks "More appropriate"? Its the instrument equivalent of a tribute act, ok in its way but not the real thing.

Wear and dings on the instrument shows that it has a bit of history.. or a few stories. Deliberately making it look worn isn’t my thing.

isn't it kinda faking it?

like someone in an iron maiden T-shirt that’s never heard them before but just want that rocker look 😂 u know what I mean maybe a different band but you’ve all seen it! 

So Relic - fair play but it’s not for me! 

• Like 1