Why become a member? ×

The return of the GAS....... FFS!

mattbass6

Oh FFS! I now have 2 situations of real GAS which I honestly thought, had gone for good! There is Tech 21 NYC “Steve Harris” SansAmp about to be released, and there is a beautiful Strandberg Guitars Bass at Bass Direct. Please let them be rubbish, please!!! I know they’re not going to be. DOH! 😳🙄😂 xx #GAS #Strandberg #Tech21NYC #SteveHarris #WhenWillItStop

715F4B61-6C38-4774-AFBB-C04DBFDF428D.jpeg

E5A6AFD8-54E7-4E95-98D3-6C264606E72F.jpeg

• Like 1

@mattbass6 Just think how much better this bass will make you! With this Excalibur, you'll realise your full potential that previous puny instruments have held back from you...

Or another way of looking at it is, Jaco did all his stuff on a $90 second-hand Jazz bass. Paul McCartney played a Hofner which has the playability of potato and doesn't even stay in tune much past the seventh fret. Also a starting price of 2.5 kilo-pounds is pretty steep for an off-shore build.

Full disclosure - I'll want one too when they do a six - coming soon apparently.

Edited by visog
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

By a lot of reports the Strandberg is not great

The Tech21 SH will however be the nuts

What have you heard about the Strandbergs? They intrigue me. I’m a Vigier guy, through and through, but these basses really have grabbed my attention. I’ve had Dingwall basses, and didn’t fall in love, but the neck design combined with the Darkglass pre-amp in the “prog” version sound very cool. Interested to hear what you have heard. Have you played one? 

59 minutes ago, visog said:

@mattbass6 Just think how much better this bass will make you! With this Excalibur, you'll realise your full potential that previous puny instruments have held back from you...

Or another way of looking at it is, Jaco did all his stuff on a $90 second-hand Jazz bass. Paul McCartney played a Hofner which has the playability of potato and doesn't even stay in tune much past the seventh fret. Also a starting price of 2.5 kilo-pounds is pretty steep for an off-shore build.

Full disclosure - I'll want one too when they do a six - coming soon apparently.

I know, but that doesn’t mean that if they had the options at the time, they wouldn’t have gone for it. I bet PM’s collection is pretty diverse now that he has the money 😉

19 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

GAS is a terrible thing, lucky for me Im a strict P or J guy (boring I know) into a full fat valve amp and thats it, saying that there was a rather lovely 65 P for sale at a snip over 5K, Release your inner gas and watch the room clear as you (temporarily) feel much better.

I’m a full in Vigier guy, as well as P basses. I’m able to keep my GAS under control. I have 3 basses, that’s it. However, when I saw that Strandberg, my GAS was reignited. However, I saw the price, and the flame died down. I’ll always use my Vigier’s, I just fancied something that was a little different, just because. One day though, we’ll see 😉 It’s great to window shop, on the other hand ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

Those Strandbergs are incredibly expensive for what they are. 

But the Tech 21, why not! 

My view too. Nearly three grand for a ‘production line’ made in Indonesia bass is pretty steep. Cool design for sure but the price is in the ballpark of Vigier, US Spector, Sadowsky Satin and other ‘hand made’ top quality boutique stuff.

I suppose it is a bespoke design rather than yet another ‘boutique Jazz’ and for that you are paying an extra premium. If you want that design then you have to pay that cost, same as any other bass.

Like the OP, I was also a Vigier and/or Fender P guy for years. However, my ‘something different’ ended up being a more vintage style Sadowsky Metro. 

Still, I would quite like a Spector, a Musicman, a Dingwall, a Rickenbacker, a  Wal...

GAS never ends.

Edited by thodrik
Missing words, bad spelling, the usual.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

My view too. Nearly three grand for a ‘production line’ made in Indonesia bass is pretty steep. Cool design for sure but the price is in the ballpark of Vigier, US Spector, Sadowsky Satin and other ‘hand made’ top quality boutique stuff.

I suppose it is a bespoke design rather than yet another ‘boutique Jazz’ and for that you are paying an extra premium. If you want that design then you have to pay that cost, same as any other bass.

Like the OP, I was also a Vigier and/or Fender P guy for years. However, my ‘something different’ ended up being a more vintage style Sadowsky Metro. 

Still, I would quite like a Spector, a Musicman, a Dingwall, a Rickenbacker, a  Wal...

GAS never ends.

Are they Indonesian production line basses? Really? I had no idea. Nothing wrong with that by the way, but £2.7k? I was always going to stick with my Vigier basses but I just fancied one of these. Interesting. Thank you

23 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I haven’t played one, but it’s based on reading around it and many reviews.

Played one of their normal guitars - they weren’t mind blowing 

Ahhhh right. Fair enough. Cheers. I think I’ll now just have to try one for curiosities sake ☺️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Ahhhh right. Fair enough. Cheers. I think I’ll now just have to try one for curiosities sake ☺️

I've played a few of these, and my comments are in the posts below, in the a thread from a while back, with other members' opinions too.

Sadly - we seem to be broadly in agreement... A great shame, since expectations were high, and many of us were hopeful :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kumimajava said:

I've played a few of these, and my comments are in the posts below, in the a thread from a while back, with other members' opinions too.

Sadly - we seem to be broadly in agreement... A great shame, since expectations were high, and many of us were hopeful :(

Thanks for this, appreciated. 

On 18/10/2019 at 18:55, mattbass6 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 😳😉

I think this is a case of try one to see if it suits you. On paper it doesn't look good: £2,900+ for an off-shore build and a shape that looks like garden implement. But I suspect the standing weight, and sitting positions, together with that compound neck and fan frets will tell a different story.

If your value proposition is ergonomic - you have to try one! Keen to hear feedback from that perspective?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, visog said:

I think this is a case of try one to see if it suits you. On paper it doesn't look good: £2,900+ for an off-shore build and a shape that looks like garden implement. But I suspect the standing weight, and sitting positions, together with that compound neck and fan frets will tell a different story.

If your value proposition is ergonomic - you have to try one! Keen to hear feedback from that perspective?

It's certainly the lightest 5-string I've played, and balances indeed rather well. 

For me, there was no immediately noticeable benefit of the "Endurneck", though I liked the 35-33 inch fanned fret layout better than Dingwall's super-long-scale 37-34 inches. Then again, the Dingwall Super Series 35-32 inches, to me, feels better still.

At the end of the day - it comes down a value vs ergonomics proposition. Weight-wise, I think the Strandberg was about 250-300g lighter than a Status Streamline 5-string, which you can get custom-specced for around £2k; plenty of definition on the Streamline's low-B too, given that it's all carbon, and build quality is miles apart.

If you're after not super-long fanned fret basses, then the Dingwall S's come into the picture.  Of course, if you want super-light + fanned-frets, then this is pretty much your only option - for now. 

That's my experience, so far, anyway - would be curious to hear what you think once you've had a go :)

• Like 1

On 21/10/2019 at 03:12, kumimajava said:

That's my experience, so far, anyway - would be curious to hear what you think once you've had a go :)

Well I'm not short of opinions! Probably wont get to try one until BD get a sixer or the Manchester Bass Guitar show next March. Suspect the six will be in the order of £3.5 kilopounds. Possible more if Brexit actually happens.