Why become a member? ×

I'm back!

Trueno

I realise, with a title like that, most of you will say... a) who the f*** is he, or b) didn't even know he'd been away. But here I am!

I haven't been on here because I haven't been playing bass... doesn't seem very interesting (to me) when I'm not in a band. The only thing that would tempt me out of retirement now would be to join a proper "old farts" band (I mean that in the nicest possible way).

So, yesterday I was perusing ebay to see what prices I may expect on my remaining (modest) gear, when an email pinged on the iPad. A guitarist I had played with over ten years ago wanted to know if I'd be up for joining his band. He is an excellent guitarist and has a great drummer (I've also worked with). They've recruited a singer, but their current bassist has to bow out due to ill health. After a brief exchange of mails, he has described the perfect old farts band. TBH, I left his band the first time round because they weren't doing enough gigs, but it would suit me now. He's also improved the setlist... some great sings in there now.

The downside? I used to be buoyed up by a monstrous arrogance and belief in my own abilities... that all seems to have leaked out through the lace holes in me boots. Not sure how the new humble me will cope with all this. 

Not sure how this will pan out... you will be the first to know...

... but for now... must not get GAS... must not get GAS...

• Like 6

A welcome return i reckon. You're never too old to be in a band even if it means an old farts band. Its still playing with friends and gigging always helps. 

I'm like you these days and a lot more relaxed about playing in bands. I've no delusions of fame and fortune or for it to be a full time occupation. Its just a bit of fun with like-minded mates.

We mistakenly took on a keys player this year who was in it solely for money. He was upfront from the start but he didn't fit in along with the rest of us as we just love what we do. He's now gone and a dep in his place until a proper replacement can be found.

I'm 59 yrs old and only got back into bands 9 yrs ago and never been as busy with bands and offers. Been with these guys approx 18mths now but took a while to get it off the ground for various reasons.

In that 9yrs i've done the Prog, Classic, Blues, Blues/funk, 70/80 covers, tributes, done the clubs, caravan parks, private venues and few local pub venues for each band i've been in. 

Tried being in 2 bands at same time but just a bit too much time involved. 

I plan to enjoy playing in bands for as long as i can. You've nothing to lose really.

Wishing you all the very best with your project and keep us posted.

Dave

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Or go down the acoustic bass route. :lol:

It is well known (well, claimed by some) that ABs are not loud enough (broadly speaking) and require reinforcement. You will still, therefore, require a loud-maker. Also they tend to feed back a bit so you need a rubbery feedback-discourager thing to put in the hole on the top ... maybe an anti-feedbacker pedal, too.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, pigface said:

It is well known (well, claimed by some) that ABs are not loud enough (broadly speaking) and require reinforcement. You will still, therefore, require a loud-maker. Also they tend to feed back a bit so you need a rubbery feedback-discourager thing to put in the hole on the top ... maybe an anti-feedbacker pedal, too.

Excellent... loads of new stuff to buy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pigface said:

It was tongue in cheek hence the wee laughing face.

53 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Oh and a fretless to compliment the acoustic bass. And an aby pedal so both can use the same loudifier. Or two louderators to make both loud at the same time 

I'll buy anything that embiggens the sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pigface said:

So was mine, hence the 'rubbery feedback-discourager thing' 🙂

Sorry i picked you up wrong there. I've updated the software and re-tuned my humour awareness sensor as it had long gone out of date. Hopefully i'll pick up on things a lot quicker :laugh1:

Apologies

Dave:lol:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorry i picked you up wrong there. I've updated the software and re-tuned my humour awareness sensor as it had long gone out of date. Hopefully i'll pick up on things a lot quicker :laugh1:

Apologies

There is a pedal for humour awareness.

... actually, shouldn't joke about that. Many years ago I was a gig in a social club and I was feeling very unwell. A little old lady complained that my miserable face was making her g&t go sour.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Apologies

Dinnae worry, nae need for apologies. Humour is not my strong point 🙄

• Haha 1