Why become a member? ×

Neck tilt adjustment

Fishman

Anyone got any thoughts on this – I'm building a custom Stingray and I am weighing up all the options

Does the neck still have full wood contact with the body with a tilt going going on?

I should say that I'm on about the Fender-style adjustment, rather than shoving a slice of wood or credit card in there

Edited by Fishman

14 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Anyone got any thoughts on this – I'm building a custom Stingray and I am weighing up all the options

Does the neck still have full wood contact with the body with a tilt going going on?

I should say that I'm on about the Fender-style adjustment, rather than shoving a slice of wood or credit card in there

Theoretically, the Fender tilt type results in less contact area than standard shims - especially if the latter are wedged.  In reality, though, it would probably make no audible difference providing that in both cases the neck bolts are at the correct tension...

It depends what kind of angle you are looking at but you could always add a full area wedge of ply, maple or similar hardness of wood to the bottom of the otherwise flat heel - either glued or unglued ( it's not going to be able to go anywhere).

I worked on a beautiful (and valuable) Wal a couple of years ago and noted that was done like that (glued on in that particular case) so it shouldn't be regarded at all as a 'cheap' fix.

I wonder if that was one of my old Wals (sold both in 2010) – one of which had a wood shim, although there must be loads with that type of adjustment – might be easier than fitting a mechanism, along with drilling through the neck plate

• 2 weeks later...