Why become a member? ×

Please help... Potentiometer search desperation

Mattbass97

I am desperate... I have spent hours searching, I've spoken to Fender and I've still gotten nowhere.

My Fender Dimension V Deluxe bass needs new pots for the pre. I need the following and I cannot find it anywhere whether its in the UK, Europe or US.

PCB mount right angle 100k centre detent solid shaft potentiometer

Please if you know where I can source this, I will be forever grateful...

This is what they look like. 

Image result for pcb mountable potentiometer

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

One detail that you have not mentioned, is the pot log (A) or lin (B)?  

If you do not succeed on this mission there are at least 4 possible ways out of the situation (probably more that I am not aware of).  In order of ease IMO:

1. Is a split shaft version available.  Screw on knob will work on split shaft.  You can always file a flat onto the split shaft if you want.

2. Non PCB mount pots of your desired size are available.   Use flying leads to the pcb board and solder these to the pot.  The tags on the pot can be bent / moved / cut down as required.

3  Re-use the three pcb mount legs (solder pins) on the 'duff' pot.  leave them soldered into the pcb, snip them through.  Use a non pcb pot, adjust the solder tags so they make good physical contact with previous pcb pins.  Solder them up. You might want to make a temporary jig to hold the pots in the correct vertical plane so that it is soldered at correct height.

4.  The difficult one (which I have done in desperation).  Obtain two pots, same make with the pressed folded tabs holding them together (CTS).  One with the correct 100K value, centre detent etc.  The other one values do not matter but must be the right angle pcb mount.  Dismantle the two pots and transfer the correct internals to the pcb mount, reassemble.

• Like 1

Fender will find it difficult to help as they don't list parts for the pots separately. The part number 770019100 is for the PCB and the pots.  That's the HH version.....

You will probably be better off sourcing the complete PCB - there was one on eBay just the other week. I have two Dimension Vs and keep an eye out for parts as Fender really struggle for supply of some of the more unique items. 

2 hours ago, 3below said:

One detail that you have not mentioned, is the pot log (A) or lin (B)?  

If you do not succeed on this mission there are at least 4 possible ways out of the situation (probably more that I am not aware of).  In order of ease IMO:

1. Is a split shaft version available.  Screw on knob will work on split shaft.  You can always file a flat onto the split shaft if you want.

2. Non PCB mount pots of your desired size are available.   Use flying leads to the pcb board and solder these to the pot.  The tags on the pot can be bent / moved / cut down as required.

3  Re-use the three pcb mount legs (solder pins) on the 'duff' pot.  leave them soldered into the pcb, snip them through.  Use a non pcb pot, adjust the solder tags so they make good physical contact with previous pcb pins.  Solder them up. You might want to make a temporary jig to hold the pots in the correct vertical plane so that it is soldered at correct height.

4.  The difficult one (which I have done in desperation).  Obtain two pots, same make with the pressed folded tabs holding them together (CTS).  One with the correct 100K value, centre detent etc.  The other one values do not matter but must be the right angle pcb mount.  Dismantle the two pots and transfer the correct internals to the pcb mount, reassemble.

Apologies, the pots are marked B100K and thank you for your suggestions!

49 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Fender will find it difficult to help as they don't list parts for the pots separately. The part number 770019100 is for the PCB and the pots.  That's the HH version.....

You will probably be better off sourcing the complete PCB - there was one on eBay just the other week. I have two Dimension Vs and keep an eye out for parts as Fender really struggle for supply of some of the more unique items. 

I didn’t even consider this... thank you so much for that link.