Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or.......

mart3442

Does it bug anyone else when messages are left unanswered? Or someone gets in touch about an item, you reply and then they don't respond, even though you can see they've read the message...... Seems to be happening more and more these days. Just a "no thanks", or "thanks, but that's not what I'm after" would do, a little bit of courtesy....
Guess I'm just a grumpy git today.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mart3442 said:

Does it bug anyone else when messages are left unanswered? Or someone gets in touch about an item, you reply and then they don't respond, even though you can see they've read the message...... Seems to be happening more and more these days. Just a "no thanks", or "thanks, but that's not what I'm after" would do, a little bit of courtesy....
Guess I'm just a grumpy git today.

It's actually got nothing to do with being grumpy, old, or a git

... its a microcosmic reflection upon the rapidly declining standards of acceptible behaviour so evident today in our society.

Bad manners, rudeness, selfishness and lack of courtesy are blatantly on show like never before (Trump / Westminster anyone?).

It might currently be 'on trend' to act in that way however, it remains appalling nonetheless.

• Like 7

Local guy called me last Wednesday, he says "was playing outside at the weekend, it started raining and now my amp won't work. I need it for Friday can you look at it please". As it sounded like an emergency, I said bring it round this evening and cancelled my night out playing darts. He never showed up. I texted him the next day and the response was " oh, something else came up" ? ! ? !

Thanks, rant over.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Don't think it's the Internet, it has more to do with the parents not doing their job. I mean educating their kids and it's been lasting for decades now...

Not sure. Online gives you an opportunity to be blunt or even rude. You bang something on Facebook for 60 quid and some joker will message you with 

”£30 ?”

no “hi mate would you consider” etc etc. 
Never  happened to me  face to face or the phone. 

10 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

I really don’t mind. People are busy. If someone needs to contact me, they will find a way.

Sometimes if I have too many emails or voicemails to deal with, I’ll delete the lot, on the premise that if any where important, someone will get back to me.

Glad I'm not one of your relatives or friends. Do you also burn all your mail ? :crazy:

13 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

I really don’t mind. People are busy. If someone needs to contact me, they will find a way.

Sometimes if I have too many emails or voicemails to deal with, I’ll delete the lot, on the premise that if any where important, someone will get back to me.

An old line manager of mine did something similar - if email was Cc’d to him or he was one of multiple recipients in the To: field he’d got rules in place to just delete it. In his opinion, the only thing worth his time to read was a message you felt was important enough to send directly to him and only him. It certainly didn’t seem to hurt his career progression and he never seemed to disappear under a sea of email like the rest of us!

Personally I feel free to put in reasonable default clauses like ‘if you haven’t arrived by 8pm I’ll assume you’re not coming and I’ll go out’, or ‘if you haven’t replied by Tuesday I’ll assume you’re no longer interested in buying and I’ll offer the item to the next guy’ etc. I suppose some might say that I’m being rude or confrontational in doing that, and ok.. maybe I’ll ultimately lose out every now and then, but I’d argue that I'm just protecting my time and sanity. Plus, if you were struggling to think of a nice way of letting me down... no need!