Why become a member? ×

How do people find musicians these days?

wishface

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

We have a zero intoxication before the show rule

We’re almost the same, I’m teetotal, the singer gets legless on 3 pints so goes on stage with his first, and the drummer drives to every gig so only has one after the gig. Punk rock at its finest!

• Like 2

Facebook groups. But it’s still a massive pain in the derrière. Be prepared for crap communication, but with a little bit of luck there are some decent opportunities. I would say have decent videos of you playing to send straight of the bat so that you start on the best foot.

• Like 1

I've met some musicians via on-line methods - Facebook groups etc
But I've met far more, just by doing open mic nights, and a local "Folk" club
I put Folk in inverted commas, because it's not absolutely 100% that genre, just mainly acoustic generally

I found going along to open mics and a couple of clubs, I've met people who always seem to know of someone needing a bassist, or drummer, or guitarist
Doesn't always lead anywhere instantly - but word seems to get around as to who is looking to form a band, or who might need a musician or a dep player
This has worked for me anyway....

27 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I've met some musicians via on-line methods - Facebook groups etc
But I've met far more, just by doing open mic nights, and a local "Folk" club
I put Folk in inverted commas, because it's not absolutely 100% that genre, just mainly acoustic generally

I found going along to open mics and a couple of clubs, I've met people who always seem to know of someone needing a bassist, or drummer, or guitarist
Doesn't always lead anywhere instantly - but word seems to get around as to who is looking to form a band, or who might need a musician or a dep player
This has worked for me anyway....

I suppose it depends what genre, I've done 100's of open mics never been offered a gig with a band, maybe it's because I'm rubbish or everybody knows I'm in a band already.

Jam sessions seem to be ok if you want to join a classic rock or blues band

For the two bands I currently play in:

I got into one through placing an ad on JMB. I was pretty specific about what I was looking for and my ad was answered by a band that exactly met those requirements. If you want to be bit broader in your musical approach then maybe place several ads each one tailor to a specific musical style? From the perspective of a band looking for a musician to complete a line-up it is my experience that musicians who claim to have a broad musical palette generally don't have a suitably in-depth understanding of specific genres unless they happen to be blues or dad-rock.

For other band, I was a fan and was following them on Facebook, and so when they posted that they were looking for a replacement bassist, I sent them a message and the following weekend I had an audition.

Before that it was answering ads in record shops, but then that was over 10 years ago!