Why become a member? ×

Neck Rub Down

jimmy23cricket

Hi All,

After a bit of advice. Rather annoyingly i have noticed that the soft case I have has a design flaw that has meant that both by basses now have some very small crescent shaped dings on the necks!

They really are small but you can definitely notice them on on your fingers when playing. Now I know I should just get on with it and play but as I really liked the played in smoothness of both necks, I find the sensation of the dings distracting.

If I were to rub them down;

a)what finish would be the best to get that kind of ultra smooth played in silky feel and

b) what would be the best way to go about this process?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jimmy23cricket said:

the soft case I have has a design flaw

Sounds like a soft case with hard bits in it.  Can you show us an image so that others might avoid suffering the same way please?

As for your neck, a refinish may be possible using the slurry and buff method.  Again, a few high quality images of the neck will help you to get some suggestions.  @Andyjr1515 might then assess for you whether the damage to your neck can be reversed.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Hi

Yes - some images would be helpful. 

+1 on @DoubleOhStephan 's suggestion too.  Heat applied in the right way and in the exact spot can raise dints very well.  Have a look on Youtube - there will be a number of videos showing how people do this without leaving marks in the finish. 

Often, this is all that would be needed.  Even if it does need the more extreme measure of sanding down, it is usually best to raise such dints before starting sanding in any case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so far chaps. I’ll have a go at some photos in daylight tomorrow. They really are quite small...but still annoying.

yes, soft case with annoyingly hard handle that when packed in vans etc, seems to press through the foam. For a while I thought it was my kids bashing them accidentally! Feel terrible for all the poignant questions...

As others have suggested, I would be inclined to look at the heat and moisture approach. It is quite surprising how big a dent it can fix, and those on your neck are small. I've removed dents before with a soldering iron and a damp cloth though generally from bare wood.  It does feel like a strange thing to do and is definitely worth practicing on another piece of wood to give yourself confidence!!!

Some folk will use very fine abrasive such as 0000 wire wool or a very fine sanding pad to take the shine off the back of a neck to give a satin finish and make it feel a bit more silky. As usual there seem to be opposing views - there seems to be some people that like using wire wool and others that will say not to use it ever!! If you do use wire wool, just make sure you cover everything you don't want it getting in - pickups being magnetic are always a favourite! Again, you should find details of this on YouTube.

• Like 1