Why become a member? ×

Matching '68 Jazz and '79 Precision (Refin)
£4500
Bournemouth

simontdo

Both of these were already stripped when I got them, so I had them professionally refinished in a slightly aged Nitro Lake Placid Blue.

They are not relic'ed, but do show checking in the lacquer, and have since picked up a one or two minor scuffs and dings.

I thought I'd list them together just in case someone wanted a matching pair!

'68 Jazz - £3250 

As stated, it's been refinished and the head-stock has been painted to match. The logo is obviously not original, but is sort of correct for '68. It does match the style of what was only partially left of the original.

Pots are dated '66, Pickups March '68.

The machine heads are original elephant ear type, probably the last year Jazzes were produced with them.

It plays REALLY well and I cant believe I'm selling it, but needs must.

Weight is 9.42 lbs.

It had a full set up by John White just over a year ago.

It comes in an original Fender case

'79 Precision - £1250

Original Pickups, but I'm unsure of the pickguard, assume not. Pots are not original.

Weight is 9lb 12 Oz and it too plays really well.

I would add that although the serial No implies '79, the routing looks later to me, so could be '80 or '81.

I will post at buyer's expense.

I'll put a few more pictures up at the weekend (I can't find the neck heel for the Jazz on my phone - now found and added)

I also have a couple of other basses, I'll put up separately.

Thanks for looking

Simon

IMGP5421.jpg

IMGP5422.jpg

IMGP5423.jpg

IMGP5235.jpg

IMGP5236.jpg

IMGP5426.jpg

IMGP5428.jpg

IMGP5425.jpg

IMGP5238.jpg

IMGP5242.jpg

IMGP5424.jpg

IMGP5423.jpg

IMGP5366.jpg

IMGP5405.jpg

IMGP5404.jpg

IMGP5403.jpg

IMGP5374.jpg

IMGP5396.jpg

IMGP5397.jpg

IMGP5398.jpg

20181109_143537.jpg

20181109_143543.jpg

IMGP5407.jpg

IMGP5367.jpg

IMG_20191020_115957.jpg

IMG_20191020_121342.jpg

Edited by simontdo
more photos
  • Like 9

Hi, very interesting basses. How stable is the neck on the jazz? I see the binding is a bit lifted on one side (not being critical, it’s a 51 year old guitar after all); interested to know if the truss rod has ever had to be repaired or had the old washer trick done or any such thing... I’ve owned a few jazzes of this era, they can’t be temperamental or just fine! By the way, awesome refin, do you mind my asking who did them? 

The neck seems fine to me. I had to adjust the truss rod when I put DR strings on it, and it adjusted as it should. So I've no reason to suspect it's ever had an issue. 

I had it setup a year or 2 back, and it had a fret dress and a new nut. 

I hadn't noticed the binding lifting until you mentioned it. I can see it in the photo now. As you say, 51 years old. 

Both basses were refinished by Paul Neild. If you Google Retro169, you can see some of his work. 

• 1 year later...
On 03/11/2019 at 14:36, simontdo said:

The neck seems fine to me. I had to adjust the truss rod when I put DR strings on it, and it adjusted as it should. So I've no reason to suspect it's ever had an issue. 

I had it setup a year or 2 back, and it had a fret dress and a new nut. 

I hadn't noticed the binding lifting until you mentioned it. I can see it in the photo now. As you say, 51 years old. 

Both basses were refinished by Paul Neild. If you Google Retro169, you can see some of his work. 

lovely ,any case with the P  mate ?