Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB435 replacement bridge?

Danuman

Hey all,

I’m really happy with my BB435, but it seems the strings tend to lose clarity a little too quickly for my liking... I’m still debating maybe going for a set of elixers or something of that ilk, but I’ve found that sometimes a better bridge can help with these issues... and to be honest, the bridge on this thing is a bit underwhelming.

Is anyone aware of any drop-in replacements? I’m not particularly attached to through-body stringing, however, I’m probably not going to do any destructive mods in case I ever decide to move it on.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danuman said:

Sadly, no. I know what you mean, though. Those bridges on the 735 are a lot chunkier. It would be nice to get one of those, but I don’t think they are available for sale.

I agree about the bridges on the lower end basses. I look at the one on my 425 and it just shouts 'cheap bass'. It works fine of course, but compared to the lovely bridges on the 734/5 and P series it looks poor.

Seeing as the latest Yamaha's use standard sized pickups i would have assumed a standard 5 sting bridge would also work ok.

I suppose even at the higher price the 735 is a bit of a bargain, so that’s fair enough... but the finished neck put me off and I wanted a passive bass. Still, even with the slightly tinny bridge the 435 is a really nice bass.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 434 and faced the same dilemma - generally great bass; uninspiring hardware here and there.

So, ultralites on one end, (which as well as being vastly more solid and precise than the generic tuners, also shaves off a respecfable amount of weight....) and a Yamaha VintagePlus bridge ( same as the 700 series basses and the BBP34/35) from BTN music ( the same fitting, supports the string-thru option and is in every way better. As my bass is the 434M, and therefore the only maple-board option, that was the way I could get my preferences... ) on the other end.

Had to order the bridge; turnaround is " three to six weeks "....they were very helpful and the cost with shipping was about 65 quid as I recall; suppose the 5 string version may well be a bit more... but as I have hipshot, schaller and badass bridges on other basses, which all cost more than that, it seemed a decent price to me.

I also approached Yamaha; I found BTN cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers all, these are great options. I’ll shoot a message to BTN or Yamaha and see if there’s anything they can do. I‘d imagine if the Hipshot does indeed fit, there should be more models that will...

I agree that the tuners feel a bit flimsy, but they work fine for me. One of the, err, ears had come loose from the peg, but that was easily sorted with a drop of loctite. :)

• 3 months later...

Thought I’d follow this up, just in case anyone else looking for a replacement bridge stumbles upon this thread.

After the part arrived some time ago, I found out that the P35/735 bridge is not a drop-in replacement.

Oh well. The money is gone, so I think I’ll go ahead anyway and have someone install it for me. I guess I could have just bought something I liked, but I suppose keeping the possibility of through-body stringing is not a bad idea in case I ever want to move it on... 

• 3 months later...

I didn’t quite get around to it, what with all the distractions of the past few months.

As I mentioned it’s not a direct replacement, but the holes for through-body stringing do line up. I’m guessing that means I’m going to have to plug and redrill. I have some friends who are quite capable luthiers, so I was going to ask one of them for help. I may still do just that, but to be honest, I’m not sure.

• 6 months later...

Hey folks

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to replace the stock bridge on my Yamaha BB434 bass with a direct replacement from bitterroot-guitars from the states. Everything lined up perfectly. I was a little concerned regarding the angle of the string through holes but that lined up as well and the angle isn’t an issue. So just wanted to say there is a solution for anyone interested in adding a bit of mass to the bridge section, it does add overall weight though. I opted for the brass version. 

Bass Bridge 57mm Chrome Machined Brass 4 String thru body/bridge.

bitterrootguitars.com

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Resurrecting this thread, has anyone got a solid option for replacing this bridge? Considering buying a Bb434 as I don't need the active eq of the 734, but the bridge on the 734 does look better!

Bitter root guitars seem to be out of business and it looks like the 734 bridge isn't a drop in replacement