Why become a member? ×

Grolsch Washer / Straplock System

elom

I've been after some Grolsch washers for my strap for [i]ages[/i] but couldn't find any anywhere. None in the shops, the pubs - even emailed Grolsch to no avail. Then in a moment of clarity I thought about brewing shops.

I used [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-HOME-BREW-SHOP"]these guys[/url] and got 10 washers for £2.99. I'd rather have just bought a couple of bottles of beer but hey ho. Thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else is on the look out.

elom

I used to use 'em, but these days I much prefer the understated looks of shower hose washers.

I use them on all my basses (from the Heavy Ash '81 Precision to the Ashborys). They're smaller in diameter and slightly thinner than Grolsch washers and are a matt black rather than bright red, so are better for a stealth or vintage look.

They hold just as well as the grolsch ones, and similarly are best if the strap is left on the bass more-or-less permanently.

[attachment=18492:rubberwasher.jpg]

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='376808' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:45 PM']I used to use 'em, but these days I much prefer the understated looks of shower hose washers.

I use them on all my basses (from the Heavy Ash '81 Precision to the Ashborys). They're smaller in diameter and slightly thinner than Grolsch washers and are a matt black rather than bright red, so are better for a stealth or vintage look.

They hold just as well as the grolsch ones, and similarly are best if the strap is left on the bass more-or-less permanently.

[attachment=18492:rubberwasher.jpg][/quote]

ah but ... half the point is to have that cool "Grolsch waser" look, isn't it? ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack']Neat-looking, but I'll bet they're buggers to take off again ... not enough material to get a decent grip on.[/quote]
They are a bit more flexible as they are slightly thinner so are no more difficult to put on & take off, but in my experience both types work best if, like me, you tend to keep them on when the bass is hung on the wall, in the gigbag, on a stand at a gig/rehearsal and (of course) when playing.

[quote name='Happy Jack']ah but ... half the point is to have that cool "Grolsch waser" look, isn't it? ;)[/quote]
You could paint them red & dip them in beer :P

Has anyone else noticed that Grolsch washers seem to have changed over the years? I copped a load on a night out about 6 years ago and they seemed to be different - more plasticy than the rubbery (if that makes sense) type I'd grabbed years before. They don't seem to grip the strap button quite as well as the older ones.

A case of the vintage ones being better? ;)

absolutely - i swear by them, probably because i'm too tight to buy straplocks :blush:

I got some from a pub a while back - and they aren't as elastic-y as the ones i've had for years. I'm sure i've got a few lying around somewhere, i'll post up a message if i have and you peeps can PM me if you want them.

[quote name='Musky' post='377457' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:46 AM']Has anyone else noticed that Grolsch washers seem to have changed over the years? I copped a load on a night out about 6 years ago and they seemed to be different - more plasticy than the rubbery (if that makes sense) type I'd grabbed years before. They don't seem to grip the strap button quite as well as the older ones.

A case of the vintage ones being better? ;)[/quote]

Maybe you should 'relic' some of the new ones and sell them for a fortune?