Why become a member? ×

Preamp DI

tobiewharton

I'm looking for a preamp DI to use as a basic fly-rig with an FRFR speaker. I'm most bothered about the eq, but decent (and switchable) comp and dirt are important too. Not fussed about use as a headphone amp and size isn't hugely important, as long as it'll fit in the pocket of a gig bag. 

I've got an Eden WTDI pedal on my main board and l love the EQ, but no dirt and the comp (which is perfectly useable) isn't switchable. Briefly owned an EHX Battalion a few years back, but never used it for this purpose, as always took a rig out then. 

Don't really want to spend more than £200. TC Spectradrive? Fender Downtown Express? Suggest away...

Cheers, 

Tobie

Also if going FRFR, you'll want something with a LPF or speaker sim, I think an M80 would sound a bit fizzy direct?

You might have to compromise somewhere if you want it all in one unit.

• Fender Downtown - has all the FX you want, but I've not heard what the drive sounds like going direct.
  • Tech21 Bass Fly Rig - great amp sim based on the VT Bass, the boost can be configured before the Sansamp section so can act like a 2nd level of dirt, and the comp is switchable, but noisy and not that great.
  • Tech21 DP-3X - Comp is always on and the sound is a bit marmite (although I love it!)
  • Zoom B3n - all the FX you want and then some, a good choice of bass amp models. Yes it's a multi FX with all the fiddly menus and whatnot, but it has 3 big stomps each with 4 knobs, so you get a good amount of hands-on control.

I'd still opt to go separates on a custom sized mini board - pair a preamp DI with a Spectracomp, but that's just me!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Thanks 1

I have the Specrtadrive and really like the EQ and comp, but never felt the dirt side was that great. As you cant edit the tone prints you are stuck with what TCE give you.

The comp is only switchable with the EQ section, so you cant have Eq on and Comp off (unless you turn the comp all the way down). The comp of course is very nice. There is a patch called clean boost that i love, but its not really and OD as such.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

I have three, Downtown Express,  Spectradrive and the Fly rig.  Each has pros and cons ( I tent to use the Fender for ease of use)  but the trouble I have found on all so far is that going direct in to a FRFR the signal isn't hot enough, even cranking the Speaker volume to max.  The Helix wasn't a problem as there was bags of gain available but on these pedals there isn't.  Not sure if anyone has a solution to this. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I have three, Downtown Express,  Spectradrive and the Fly rig.  Each has pros and cons ( I tent to use the Fender for ease of use)  but the trouble I have found on all so far is that going direct in to a FRFR the signal isn't hot enough, even cranking the Speaker volume to max. 

Which powered speaker is it? Which preamp output (the jack, or the XLR), and which powered speaker input (mic level, line level, or other)? 

I've used Zoom and EBS preamps (with the 1/4" amp output, not the XLR DI) into an RCF's mic-level input and no problems with volume

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I have three, Downtown Express,  Spectradrive and the Fly rig.  Each has pros and cons ( I tent to use the Fender for ease of use)  but the trouble I have found on all so far is that going direct in to a FRFR the signal isn't hot enough, even cranking the Speaker volume to max.  The Helix wasn't a problem as there was bags of gain available but on these pedals there isn't.  Not sure if anyone has a solution to this. 

Check out the TC Spark Boost currently being sold for a discounted £39 at guitar guitar

Provides up to 26dB of clean boost and is also popular with several other BC'ers (I don't have one, so I can't vouch) for warming up their tone / providing a valvey dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Which powered speaker is it? Which preamp output (the jack, or the XLR), and which powered speaker input (mic level, line level, or other)? 

I've used Zoom and EBS preamps (with the 1/4" amp output, not the XLR DI) into an RCF's mic-level input and no problems with volume

XLR out normally to XLR in of a Barefaced FR800. The cab has no external volume control! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Check out the TC Spark Boost currently being sold for a discounted £39 at guitar guitar

Provides up to 26dB of clean boost and is also popular with several other BC'ers (I don't have one, so I can't vouch) for warming up their tone / providing a valvey dirt.

Ooh that sounds like a great idea, I'll check it out, cheers!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Muppet said:

Ooh that sounds like a great idea, I'll check it out, cheers!

Yep,  I got this when it was on sale a few months ago. It's probably my fav drive pedal. It's very transparent. It does a nice mild drive without covering it with a baked in tone like some of the big names do. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Muppet said:

XLR out normally to XLR in of a Barefaced FR800. The cab has no external volume control! 

They're a chew on like aren't they? How loud are you running the software volume control on the Barefaced?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

They're a chew on like aren't they?

Sorry chap, I have no idea what that means! 

1 hour ago, Jack said:

How loud are you running the software volume control on the Barefaced?

set it back to -5db i think, whic is the default. I did put it on max using the software but it got very hissy..

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Sorry chap, I have no idea what that means!

Excuse me good sir. Please allow me to apologise for my colloquialism. ☺️

I geet Northern marra, we talk on the wonk up here.

48 minutes ago, Muppet said:

set it back to -5db i think, whic is the default. I did put it on max using the software but it got very hissy..

Yeah I have it higher for gigs. +10dB I think. That level is somewhat hissy at home but not even noticeable in a loud room during setup.

Edited by Jack
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tobiewharton said:

I think probably a bit of overkill for what I'm after, but cheers anyway! 

Oh I dunno, the chorus is handy, as is the tuner, the octafilter you can ignore and then you have comp and eq section. it's very small too!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...