Why become a member? ×

New bass excuse!

Storky

I’ve been asked to join a new band; very exciting as it’s a funk/disco function band and very different from the current rock n roll/60’s gig. I’ll have to work on a different technique, so a bit of a challenge. Anyway I thought it also a good excuse to look at a different bass! 😉 

I’m looking at 5 string, active and considering: Lakland 55/02, MM Stingray, Fender Elite Jazz, Sandburg TM, Sadawsky Metroline Express and MTD Kingston. Or should I just get a Sire V2 and have done?

All advice and comments welcome! 😁

• Like 1

Take a look at the string spacing (bridge). 17 mm is the most common, but there is everything from at least 14 to 21.5 mm.

Without a test drive I would not buy any of those basses you mentioned. I did a test at a shop and tried maybe 6 different 5-string Laklands and all sounded and felt different. Not one was built for me, but two were pretty good - and different to each other. Especially the American made was not for me.

Yes, as itu says above - try a few out. That's always the best way to start.
Make a list of pros & cons, and things you really need from the new bass
But of course, you don't necessarily "need" a new bass - can't you get the sounds you want from your current set up? ;)

I've got a nice Yammy 5 string for sale on here, with a real wide range of tones. Don't know if you're anywhere near South Wales? you're welcome to pop in & give it a whirl

best of luck with the new band - I think it's great to step outside your "norm" or your comfort zone, and try something different and challenging :)

I think that it would depend on what you are currently playing. It looks like a Hofner Club or Jack Casady in your avatar so in that case I would say definitely get something different.

My current wedding/function band plays a lot of disco/funk and so far I've used a Rickenbacker, Yamaha BB1025, Stingray 5 string with the ceramic pickup, EBMM Sterling, Fender Player Precision, Gibson EB5, Musicman US SUB5, my Harley Benton Jazz and now my Fender AP Jazz so you can go for something a bit different if it suits your playing.

I went for the AP Jazz over the Elite as I prefer passive Jazz basses and my Radial Tonebone is an incredible preamp & DI so didn't need the extra control of the active