Why become a member? ×

Synth Pedal for 80s RnB and Pop

tobiewharton

You may be sick of having a response like this but honestly if you want something cost effective, easily changeable and robust I'd go down the octaver and dirt route. Yes it isn't as cool as a synth and if you are replicating specific sounds it mightn't work but if you're after something to generally sound like that then this might work.

I'm using an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe as it has the best analog tracking (the EBS sounds considerably better IMO but just doesnt cut it tracking wise for me). and an EBS Multidrive at the moment for my dirt / synth sounds.

Works a treat and allows me to swap out octavers and drives when I like to suit my tastes.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mattbass97 said:

You may be sick of having a response like this but honestly if you want something cost effective, easily changeable and robust I'd go down the octaver and dirt route. Yes it isn't as cool as a synth and if you are replicating specific sounds it mightn't work but if you're after something to generally sound like that then this might work.

I'm using an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe as it has the best analog tracking (the EBS sounds considerably better IMO but just doesnt cut it tracking wise for me). and an EBS Multidrive at the moment for my dirt / synth sounds.

Works a treat and allows me to swap out octavers and drives when I like to suit my tastes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Matt - think I'll try this. 

Cheers, 

Tobie

Just reminded myself of what we covered and when your earlier thread was:

Previously you mentioned that the Panda FI was a bit too spendy for you. Worth mentioning that it's about to get a facelift with the v3 software release, which our very own @Quatschmacher has been closely involved with. They do come up used from time to time, but even then you're usually looking at around £280 to £295 posted. So if this is still over budget, since your previous thread two classy synth pedals have been released:

The Source Audio C4 - £249 new

And the Boss SY1 - £175 new (which I may or may not be a big fan of - young master Gisser D, who has both the FI and C4, is still making his mind up on which side of the fence I'm coming down on 😁)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a Boss syb5 in a trade recently. I has previously owned the syb3 but hadn't got a usable sound from it. The 5 is much better for the stuff you're after. 

Also the distortion into the octave and wah works for me but if you're really on a budget then get one of the Zoom multi effects. Not only can you build your own synth sound however you want it but you'll get a bunch of other useful stuff too. 

I gigged in a function band playing 80s stuff and used  the cheapest of the lot the B1on for tracks like Lets Dance and it sounded awesome. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

. So if this is still over budget, since your previous thread two classy synth pedals have been released:

The Source Audio C4 - £249 new

The C4 synth looks a lot of fun.  I watched the BassTheWorld review yesterday

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mattbass97 said:

Hope that helps.

Try the MXR Vintage Bass Octave - has the same right tracking as the BOD but sounds much better (OC-2 clone).

• Thanks 1

@tobiewharton

seriously check out the Future Impact. I programmed a convincing “Ain’t Nobody” patch for it last year (though I may tweak it with the new software). I’m pretty sure I could get close to the WH track too if I haven’t already.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that if you need the extra speed/accuracy of keys, you can simply plug in a cheap MIDI keyboard into the FI and play the line on keys and even switch seamlessly between it and bass mid-song.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2019 at 00:07, Quatschmacher said:

@tobiewharton

seriously check out the Future Impact. I programmed a convincing “Ain’t Nobody” patch for it last year (though I may tweak it with the new software). I’m pretty sure I could get close to the WH track too if I haven’t already.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that if you need the extra speed/accuracy of keys, you can simply plug in a cheap MIDI keyboard into the FI and play the line on keys and even switch seamlessly between it and bass mid-song.

This is intriguing...

19 hours ago, tobiewharton said:

This is intriguing...

A good idea to get one now. The v3 firmware was released last night and new units are selling for an introductory €299 until the end of the year which may mean you can bargain on a used one if you can't afford a new one.

http://pandamidi.com/bass-guitar-synth

I've uploaded all my old v2 patches to the new online program database.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Euros 299 for a new FI? That's like £260 and already preloaded with the v3 firmware!!

That makes it only £10 more than a Source Audio C4 and the FI, from your comments, would appear to be the more capable pedal of the two? Respect to Andras for his business tactics :)

That's going to have chilling effect on used FI prices; but obviously good news for buyers, less good for sellers! 

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Euros 299 for a new FI? That's like £260 and already preloaded with the v3 firmware!!

That makes it only £10 more than a Source Audio C4 and the FI, from your comments, would appear to be the more capable pedal of the two? Respect to Andras for his business tactics :)

That's going to have chilling effect on used FI prices; but obviously good news for buyers, less good for sellers! 

Yep, and with the funky new makeover. I did do my best to promote the two used ones that are currently in the classifieds before the product launch but I fear the sellers will have to take a hit now.

The FI gets the synth sounds I love easily. The C4 struggles due to less capable envelope implementation though does respond to MIDI clock and has plenty of other great features not possible in the FI. I'm hoping that we can get MIDI clock and some other goodies into FI v3.1 when the time comes.

Edited by Quatschmacher

14 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yep, and with the funky new makeover. I did do my best to promote the two used ones that are currently in the classifieds before the product launch but I fear the sellers will have to take a hit now.

It's a tricky one. Arguably the new users would have been out of pocket and miffed if they had bought at the old prices!

Same thing happened when TC slashed their prices last year. Anyone with gear they were looking to offload would have taken a hit. 

It happens. 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

It's a tricky one. Arguably the new users would have been out of pocket and miffed if they had bought at the old prices!

Same thing happened when TC slashed their prices last year. Anyone with gear they were looking to offload would have taken a hit. 

It happens. 

Yep, I have a TC pedal that I'll lose money on if I ever sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Z-Syn is probably the best synth effect for this kind of thing. I found that putting an EQ in front of it and removing most of the bass and mids helped the tracking. Putting a compressor upstream also helped. Putting a chorus downstream can help to fatten the sound up a bit, but I think you're limited to 3 effects in the chain with a B3n?

On 02/11/2019 at 20:11, tobiewharton said:

I ended up getting a B3n to play with... 

You'll have lots of fun. It rewards you for the time you put in. I've found the sounds my B3 produces have improved dramatically over the last year. 

Of course the pedal hasn't changed, I've just learned more about how it works!