Why become a member? ×

Headrush FRFR-108

Tripehound

10 hours ago, Muzz said:

I tried the bigger Headrush FRFR (the 112) in PMT a few weeks ago, and I wasn't at all convinced it would keep up with a drummer, therefore I'd say the 108 wouldn't have a hope, unless your drummer is verrry quiet.

What did you try it with? I use the 112 with the Helix and it’s plenty loud keeps up with my fairly hard hitting drummer no problem. He even used the second channel for his Roland drum trigger device and the volume matches the acoustic kit. 

On 13/10/2019 at 18:58, Tripehound said:

Has anyone tried putting a bass (via Helix) through one of these?

Wondering about getting one for home noodling and band rehearsals. Curious to know whether it will keep up with a drummer being allegedly 1000W...

I’ve been thinking the same. I use the 112 which I’m happy with, but it’s still a large fairly heavy unit to lug to rehearsals and too big to practice at home with. 

the volume shouldn’t be an issue, I’m more concerned about the low end cut off. The 112 is flat down to around 53hz ish, then rolls off to around 46hz. The cut off on the 108 is a bit higher, flat down to 62hz and rolls off down to 52hz. 

it may br okay at reasonable volume, but may struggle at the very low end when cranked up. 

I think the only way is to try one and find out. 

ps, these units are rated 2000w peak, 1000 continuous. Volume wise, in real works terms, it behaves similar to a 350-500w bass combo, which for many of us is smoke power. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I use a Stomp, so I went through a Helix they had lying around. I was looking for a one-box solution for when we gig with the small tops and the small sub. Really didn't have any confidence in it as a gigging solution. I picked up a Rumble 112 cheap which still isn't quite enough, but a change of driver should sort that.

I'd say try one definitely, but the only real test would be on a rehearsal/gig, so if you can get one with a returns policy, then do that.

I should add I tried a QSC K12.2 which was in a different league, and would have done the job fine...but it's more than twice the price, so I guess you get what you pay for...

Edited by Muzz