Why become a member? ×

Laser cut MOP logos

honza992

6 hours ago, Christine said:

Can you not cut them by hand? It's not as difficult as it would seem, it's actually harder to rout the hole to fit them into than cut the actual inlay.

Hmm.....it's a nice idea, and I've seen the great job that you've done with MOP....I've got some scrap, I'll give it a go, albeit presumably a coping saw is required....

On 14/10/2019 at 17:36, Jabba_the_gut said:

Rothko and Frost look like they do custom inlays, might be worth a look. I seem to remember @Norris getting some inlay made somewhere that looked really good.

I've emailed R&K to get some advice.  I think the problem may be that the resolution for MOP is 0.8mm, which seems pretty coarse.  Pearloid is 0.3mm which seems a bit more plausible.....

The thicker the MOP is the easier it is to cut without breaking. A light jewellers saw is ideal with something like a 14 tpi blade with a 10mm narrow bit of MDF as a surface and a saw cut to a 3mm hole to use the blade in. It’s very soft and cuts very easily, just keep your grip loose and let the blade do the cutting. I glue a bit of paper on my MOP with the design on as a guide

On 15/10/2019 at 19:00, honza992 said:

I've emailed R&K to get some advice.  I think the problem may be that the resolution for MOP is 0.8mm, which seems pretty coarse.  Pearloid is 0.3mm which seems a bit more plausible.....

R&K can't do it.  They say the MOP will just snap or burn when cut when doing a logo like mine....

17 hours ago, honza992 said:

R&K can't do it.  They say the MOP will just snap or burn when cut when doing a logo like mine....

What is the logo and how big? Aside, it can be cut by hand, small and thin just means going slower and a lot more satisfaction when you prove everyone wrong :)

Edited by Christine

5 hours ago, Christine said:

What is the logo and how big? Aside, it can be cut by hand, small and thin just means going slower and a lot more satisfaction when you prove everyone wrong :)

Here's the logo...

QX6B8947.jpg

I must admit, I can't imagine I could cut MOP with that level of accuracy😮

• Like 1

10 hours ago, honza992 said:

Here's the logo...

QX6B8947.jpg

I must admit, I can't imagine I could cut MOP with that level of accuracy😮

I think that is very doable, just do it in small sections and keep your blade tight against the side of the slot in your bird's mouth type work surface (which will need a tiny slot just enough to let you work). 4 hours work and you should be faced with the more demanding job of routing your headstock.

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/10/2019 at 07:52, Christine said:

I think that is very doable, just do it in small sections and keep your blade tight against the side of the slot in your bird's mouth type work surface (which will need a tiny slot just enough to let you work). 4 hours work and you should be faced with the more demanding job of routing your headstock.

I like your optimism!  I'll give it a go on a test piece before commiting myself😁  

Have you ever used the pearloid celluloid type sheet that R&K sell?  Do you think that might be easier than real shell?  

13 hours ago, honza992 said:

I like your optimism!  I'll give it a go on a test piece before commiting myself😁  

Have you ever used the pearloid celluloid type sheet that R&K sell?  Do you think that might be easier than real shell?  

No I haven't, just MOP. Keep the birds mouth as small as you can and just let the blade do the cutting and you'll be surprised what you can cut, some of the pieces on my dragons are ridiculously delicate. it's quite thick so there's a lot of strength in that

• 5 months later...